PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with Buddy Club SS install, need help please

sidesswipe
04-22-2014, 03:23 PM
I just picked up an 04 Ep3, and I love it!
It has the k20a2 swap performed on it and I wanted to get the buddy club SS for it.
I put the box in ok, but I cannot get the cable to clip onto the ball of the gear shifter.
No matter what it pushes the clip out.
I checked the DIY here and he made it look so easy, I don't understand what I am doing wrong and would love some advice please as the car is stuck in the garage
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y432/sidesswipe/DSC_0075_zps3f3839aa.jpg (http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/sidesswipe/media/DSC_0075_zps3f3839aa.jpg.html)

usedep3
04-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Not to sound like a dick, but are you spreading the metal clip while you slide the cable onto the gear shiter ball/cap? I think that's all it should take. Maybe try replacing the cap with one from the oem shifter?

sidesswipe
04-22-2014, 08:06 PM
It is spreading on it's own, based on what i was reading, it should just snap into place locking it in. But this will not work, it will move out and not stay in place, like the cap is to big.
They look similar, the old one and the new one, but I could try swapping them over.

OZZYG_EP3
04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
not sure if this is still an issue but you need to pry it on with a screwdriver or something with some leverage. mine took some effort but locked on eventually.

sidesswipe
04-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Thank you for your input,
do you think you would say you put "alot" of force?
I was trying that but was unsure how hard I should try forcing it as the DIY made it look like it just snapped right in.

OZZYG_EP3
04-25-2014, 06:56 PM
I used quite a bit of force... kinda struggled for a second before it snapped on. Don't be afraid to really push it on until it locks alllll the way in. I would also suggest using silicon spray inside both sets of caps on the short shifter (meaning in between metal and plastic cap, and inbetween plastic cap and shifter cable connector). I've had to do that twice to keep it loose and to keep it from squeaking. I may try to use some type of gel lubricant like vaseline as a more permanent solution.