PDA

View Full Version : K24A4 Rebuild Question

Jonny_EP3
04-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Hey EPHatchers,

I'm about to pick up a K24A4 block for a project for $100. I'm looking to essentially replace my stock K20A3 bottom-end with the K24A4 for a bit more torque. I'm not aiming for a high-HP track motor, just a reliable daily driver with a little extra torque for some back road driving. Currently rated at 130HP/125TQ on a 100% stock K20A3 with 28XXXXkms (Mustang Dyno). That said, I'm trying to sort out a grocery list of parts to create what I'm shooting for, which is around 160HP/160TQ. So far my list is as follows:

- RDX Injectors
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
- Hondata Reflash

I know that this is far from complete, and was hoping for your input. Assuming I'm keeping stock internals for the block, what should I buy to rebuild the bottom end? To keep the cost relatively low, what OEM K-Series parts would benefit the build?

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers.

Her-Name's-Ally
04-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Well for starters kpro will be more of a benefit than the reflash and a good tune will make a whole lot of difference.

Jonny_EP3
04-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Well for starters kpro will be more of a benefit than the reflash and a good tune will make a whole lot of difference.

I realize this, however financially Kpro isn't an option at this time. Might be able to get my hands on GReddy E-Manage for $100.

tlikethedrink
04-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Basic bolt ons. I don't believe that there are right or wrongs to choose from. Obx header is the cheapest, Kidd is one of the better performers. Get an exhaust you can live with. I would go for a big cai. I got my fujita for $60 on ebay. Those should put you close to 150-160. Maybe porting polishing the head while it's being rebuilt.
Save the $ from the fuel pump. Also go for rsx 330 injectors $50ish. You may be able to get away w/out kpro on 330s on the k24. I wouldn't run the reflash with that setup as they say it's a leaner tune.
Any plans for the k24? Vtec head? Piston swap?

Jonny_EP3
04-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Basic bolt ons. I don't believe that there are right or wrongs to choose from. Obx header is the cheapest, Kidd is one of the better performers. Get an exhaust you can live with. I would go for a big cai. I got my fujita for $60 on ebay. Those should put you close to 150-160. Maybe porting polishing the head while it's being rebuilt.
Save the $ from the fuel pump. Also go for rsx 330 injectors $50ish. You may be able to get away w/out kpro on 330s on the k24. I wouldn't run the reflash with that setup as they say it's a leaner tune.
Any plans for the k24? Vtec head? Piston swap?

Already have an AEM V2 intake, and I'm working on a custom fabrication headlight duct out of a spare driver-side headlight (need to buy a velocity stack). I'll look into header options, but I'm hoping to maintain a relatively stock exhaust setup for vehicle inspection law reasons. Debating on un-restricting the mid-pipe in my OEM exhaust. When you say RSX 330's, I can only assume you mean Type-S correct?

As for plans for the K24 block, just a rebuild on the bottom end, and slapping my K20A3 head on. Maybe some 10.5:1 OEM pistons if I can find a set on the cheap. I've got some K20A2 head internals that may see some use eventually (valve springs), but at this point I doubt I'll use most of them (cams/gears/rockers). May go for a better oil pump, but I'm not sure which would be best for my goals.

Ba82Ep3
04-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Youre gonna have an issue with using the k20a3 head on that block with the stock k24a4 pistons. The a3 head combustion chamber isnt like a k20a2/z3 or k24a1/a2. You would however be able to get away with it if you sourced TSX 10.5cr pistons... as they are flat topped (be sure what size bore you have, A or B size. Its stamped on the top of the piston).

Stock fuel pump is fine. You can use mild boost on it with no problems. Youre wasting money for now changing that.

As far as injectors go... source the RSX-S 310's. Since youre using the k20a3 head you could even open up the exhaust some using the stock 06 RSX-S header/cat/midpipe (largest OEM piping available) with the stock EP3 axle back... and its all bolt up with no mods to fit. You can even add an RSX-S spec race header to that setup at a later date. That setup you can run on the stock ECU with a CAI (RSX-S injectors make up for the fuel % difference between 270cc and 310cc that the greater 2.4 bore and stroke needs. The stock ECU in closed loop takes care of the rest). Using the k20a3 head will limit flow and help you, but i still wouldnt run the reflash... but what you save can go towards KPro as your next step.

Tuned NA k20a3 heads can flow 200whp easily... but swapping it out for a k24a1 head would be the better route if youre staying with a two lobe cam setup. You can three lobe cam swap a k20a3/k24a1 head but you HAVE to have KPro to do that. Check my build thread out for more on that if youre curious.

K series arent like B series in the way so many people just added bolt ons and found power. With K series... the power IS in the tune. KPro is hands down the best power adder you will ever own. i-VTEC means VTEC got intelligent... so you need the software to make the best of the hardware. All other I/H/E bolt ons combined cannot do for you what KPro and a capable tuner can do for you.

Oh... and by the way... i was a huge fan of the V2 intake. Yes it was easy to heatsoak... but you could tell it was day and night better over any short ram intake on the market... and i preferred it over a CAI in my EP3. Now... i wasnt concerned about max dyno numbers. I was concerned about a driveable powerband. The V2 was a fave of mine... and if it would have fit in my current project i would have kept it.

tlikethedrink
04-26-2014, 10:18 PM
I too had the v2. Sold it for $40. Should have kept it.