PDA

View Full Version : many questions and seek advice/exhaust build

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 03:05 AM
Hi. I am seeking to perfect my car as faster/healthier daily driver. Ive owned my 02 ep for about 6 months now. I absolutely love it and im ready to put some work into it. First its at 170k miles, and it idles funny, like it puts and motor has a little shake to it. People tell me it is not suppose to idle like this, and that maybe it has a miss somewhere. Also it smells like straight gas burning. I changed spark plugs. And now im thinking maybe the catalytic converter is shot . Would that be the cause of the gas smell, and wierd idle?? Also plan on changing fuel filter. Next. Is exhaust . My family owns a pipe bending exhaust machine. And i am really wantin to build my own exhaust system. I have many questions and need advice. First. Headers. Racing headers vs non racing. Lol i do pizza delivery so if i do racing headers would i be ok for daily driving. Next cat. Performance cat ?? Or what. Next question is should i make my own custom pipe from the header/cat or just buy a cheap ebay fitted pipe. Also have apex muffler that i want to use ( discontinued) sounded great on my cb7 on stock exhaust. WANT TO DO ALL THIS EXAUST WORTH FOR AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE FOR MY MONEYS WORTH THOUGH FOR BEST QUALITY. Lastly any advice on cheap upgrades and maintenance to keep my car healthy and faster !!! :) btw i am brand new to the sight so ill do my best to keep up with this post. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME. JUST WANT RO PERFECT MY CAR. thankyou

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 03:13 AM
Forgot to mention lately sometimes in second gear when i am on the throttle hittin about 4k rpm in bogs like its losing gas.thinking its the cat. Along with the gas smell

wcmbrk
05-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I daily drive my ep...it has 180k+ miles so i'm in the same boat as you. You are probably correct about your catalytic...mine died after 120k. Currently, I'm running a 2.5 exhaust using a PLM race header/ultra quiet vibrant resonator and flowmaster dbx exhuast. It's quiet around 60mph but screams when you get on it. Some people like the OBX v2 for the price (225 shipped i think) but for a lil more you get a better product in the PLM/K tuned headers. Heck even Alpha skunk 2 are hear are good. what's your budget anyways?

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 09:46 PM
See alot of people use the obx because of the price. Budget is pretty much gonna be pay check by pay check. Piece by piece. I know some peope say they r happy with obx. Others says its alot more worth it save for sumthin better. I think i am going to go for the skunk2. I will look into plm. Wish i could find some used headers to really save some money. Did u custom fit your pipe to ur headers on back to your dbx? Because that is what i am trying to do. Bcuz already hav some 2.5 straight pipe. Or should i just buy a megan pipe already fit for ep?? ( im a noob) :). New research today . I discovered ktuned chip or ecu ?? What is that about. People are sayng racing headers are kind of useless without that ktuned thing. And obviously a good intake as well͵ which i get that. Thankyou for replying. Im just trying to learn and do everything myself the right way

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Also i am not really worried about resonator. I want my to have a nice sound and very loud. Unless u do suggest a resonator. Because like i said i do pizza delivery so i cant be to obnoxious

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Heck even Alpha skunk 2 are hear are good. what's your budget anyways? forget to reply. Dont know if it matter

jonarms21
05-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I daily drive my ep...it has 180k+ miles so i'm in the same boat as you. You are probably correct about your catalytic...mine died after 120k. Currently, I'm running a 2.5 exhaust using a PLM race header/ultra quiet vibrant resonator and flowmaster dbx exhuast. It's quiet around 60mph but screams when you get on it. Some people like the OBX v2 for the price (225 shipped i think) but for a lil more you get a better product in the PLM/K tuned headers. Heck even Alpha skunk 2 are hear are good. what's your budget anyways?

Also what is the test pipe that comes with these headers ?

wcmbrk
05-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Also what is the test pipe that comes with these headers ?

It's a part of the header...the header will come with the test pipe piece...i would highly suggest a resonator so the car doesn't sound crappy. The k ecu thing you are talking about is K-pro. It is the single most important mod to purchase as everything revolves around it later on.

riceislame
05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
get a raceheader buddyclub if you can, highflowcats are not worth it, unless you live in lame Cali, then a test pipe off ebay, type-s midpipe an the catback of you're choice, I use the ssr doplhin tip, it's super quiet when you are just cruising at a steady speed, 2200-3000 it has a sexy deep drone an when you floor it she really really screams past 5k an up, but when you're just crusing an not trying to attack attention it's a really awesome setup, plus it's still a lot quicker than a stock ep3, I keep up with newer Si's no problem, also you should get an intake an make sure you have good oxygen sensors, get denso if you have to replace them.

jonarms21
05-17-2014, 02:32 PM
get a raceheader buddyclub if you can, highflowcats are not worth it, unless you live in lame Cali, then a test pipe off ebay, type-s midpipe an the catback of you're choice, I use the ssr doplhin tip, it's super quiet when you are just cruising at a steady speed, 2200-3000 it has a sexy deep drone an when you floor it she really really screams past 5k an up, but when you're just crusing an not trying to attack attention it's a really awesome setup, plus it's still a lot quicker than a stock ep3, I keep up with newer Si's no problem, also you should get an intake an make sure you have good oxygen sensors, get denso if you have to replace them.
Decided just for temporary. I got a high flow cat just sittin around size 2.25 so now i am just lookin for cheap but good and loud exhaust and muffler. Again exhaust size 2.25 . Was lookin at megan midpipe and some kind of muffler. So again i just want some very loud. Any suggestions on exhaust and muffler like that?

jonarms21
05-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Best loudest sound sound i can for cheapish under 500 size 2.25