PDA

View Full Version : Swift springs

eloc49
05-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi guys! I'm considering purchasing some Swift springs for my RSX spec Megan coilovers. Spring rates on them now are F 10k R 12k. The swifts are about .7inch shorter than the Megan springs, and I want to go up in spring rate as well. Thinking 14k and 18k, but i'm unfimiliar with how a coilover's valving affects what spring rate should be used with it, can anyone explain?

geeio
06-03-2014, 09:33 PM
a shock such as the one found in your megan coilover has a fluid in it and a piston that when moved slows down the movement to deal with the two directions your shocks actually move, if you have a set up that is currently made to take the force of a 10k or 12k spring and you want to go up to the 14/18 spring then you run in to the chance of making the car have too much spring for that particular shock absorber. this will make your car bounce around and ultimately look really stupid and ride terribly with a side of a safety hazard. any real reason you want to go with a stiffer spring ? and a shorter stiffer spring? I'm not sure how much shorter the megan coilover is but if you are running out of suspension travel with the stock spring then a shorter spring is a bad idea, there really is not that much travel to begin with and going .7 shorter is that much less travel.

eloc49
06-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Well I figured if I go shorter I should go stiffer to compensate for less shock travel. The reason id do them .7 shorter is that the swift springs only come in whole inch sizes and my coilovers current springs are 6.3 and 5.5 inches long. Maybe akep can chime in, I saw an imgur album where he put 6s on the front and 5s on the rear of his Megan's (track not street model) but wanted to go with 5s all the way around which is a good bit shorter.