PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak - VTEC Pressure Switch was (mis)diagnosed

LeeStrange
05-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey folks,

I had an oil leak, and took it to the mechanic to have it diagnosed. After two sessions on the hoist, he said it was the VTEC Pressure Switch, and quoted me $125 + $75 labor to replace.

Since the switch is only $39 bucks from Honda, I bought it myself and attempted the replacement.
I got as far as getting the rubber nipple off, and realized that my current pressure switch is clean of oil. If the pressure switch was leaking, wouldn't the inside of the nipple be covered in oil? I couldn't find any oil marks around the pressure switch, either.

Any ideas? Should I rule out the pressure switch and keep checking for the leak?

Thanks!

Ba82Ep3
05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
To be sure we are referring to the same part... are you talking about the solenoid on the side of the head... or the switch on the VTEC spool valve on the back of the head? You say rubber nipple... and it makes me think you are talking about the grey rubber cover over the oil pressure sending unit on the backside of the block below the VTEC spool valve.

LeeStrange
05-22-2014, 08:32 AM
To be sure we are referring to the same part... are you talking about the solenoid on the side of the head... or the switch on the VTEC spool valve on the back of the head? You say rubber nipple... and it makes me think you are talking about the grey rubber cover over the oil pressure sending unit on the backside of the block below the VTEC spool valve.

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle/jsp/item.jsp?srchwords=37240-PT0-014&cat1=CIVIC&cat2=2004
Reference #12 in this link. It is on the back of the head, just above the oil filter.

Ba82Ep3
05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Ok thats what i thought you were talking about. That is the only thing that should have an OEM rubber cover there. Thats the oil pressure sending unit. If it was leaking you likely would have oil in the boot.

If you have oil above that area looking like its coming from the spool valve on the back of the head... replace the gasket/filter under it. Should be three bolts and 30 minutes of your time...

LeeStrange
05-23-2014, 08:20 PM
How can I reach the bolts back there? Its so tight.

Are you talking about the oil filter?

Ba82Ep3
05-29-2014, 10:13 PM
This is a pic of the spool valve on my engine. Three 10mm bolts, you can see them on the back of the spool valve, you loosen them and they come out by hand very easily. Remove the top one last, and install the top one first. It will aid in balancing the valve in your hand as you install/remove the other two bolts.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n562/dwms73/408662338_photobucket_9355_.jpg

Under that you will see the gasket/filter... its kinda figure 8 shaped. Its really easy to change yourself. Dont let a shop rob you!

LeeStrange
06-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I've highlighted the picture you attached... am I correct that the part highlighted in red is the 'spool valve', and the three bolts I've indicated are the three bolts you're talking about?

Thanks again!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6764&d=1403108028

Ba82Ep3
06-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Yessir! : )

Its technically a heat shield surrounding the spool valve... but yes thats it.

gammarus
11-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Hey guys I have noticed that rubber boot is full of oil on my car and I know that I have some sort of leak. do I need to remove that boot in order to get to those bolts?

Breezy
05-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this... My cylinder head appears to be leaking from one of the bolts. The oil color and everything is fine on the dipstick (no coolant in oil). Could it be the cylinder head gasket or just a loose bolt? Can someone point me in the right direction... thanks.
Also can someone tell me what this box is attached to the intake? It came with the car