PDA

View Full Version : skunk2 race header install issue

sidesswipe
05-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Hello,
I was trying to install the Skunk2 race header (alpha) in my 04, with the K20a2 swap. The header did not want to line up with the exhaust, the extra flex piece that Skunk gave me was in no way going to mate with the exhaust going to the back.
I just bought the car, it does have an aftermarket T1 R midpipe but the direction and flow is the same.
Also the header looked like it was not going to bolt up straight without bumping against the front sway bar. I did not read about that issue before attempting the install, was I doing something wrong?

thank you for any assistance6727
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxqQBb5LlQNCa2x6WUNkdHo0WU0/edit?usp=sharing

Ba82Ep3
05-22-2014, 01:18 AM
If youre looking at contact with the RH and swaybar as the car is in the air... when you set the car down the sway should move away from the header. Full suspension extension moves the loop of the swaybar closer to the header. Few race headers on the market have zero sway bar issues. You can generally expect some contact going in reverse or when it rains and water splashes up on the header. If you dont then consider yourself fortunate. lol

I dont have on hands familiarity with the Alpha... is yours RSX-S or EP3 spec (is there such a thing with the Alpha)? The T1R midpipe you have may be an RSX-S spec as it would be shorter... or it could be modified itself. You may end up getting a custom 'test pipe' fitted if you dont know what parts you have for certain.

sidesswipe
05-22-2014, 05:57 PM
it is just annoying because I did not want to change the stock muffler that the owner welded on. I really like the stock twin tip one and not a big fat exhaust.
The midpipe I measured is 2.4" and does not meet the header. If I really wanted it to work , I would have to find a flange and cut the exhaust to get it to fit . I just didn't want to pay someone to put the header on

Jiyakku2
05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Like he said above there will be more clearance once the sway bar is under load but there should have been a sway bar bracket included to allow you to slide the sway bar for added clearance. When I had the same Alpha Header I had to have a custom adapter made to bolt to my Apexi Noir 60mm Catback exhaust because the one included only worked with the RSX (We actually hacked up the RSX adapter). EITHER WAY I WOULD CONTACT SKUNK2 DIRECTLY AS THERE WAS SUPPOSEDLY AN EP3 SPECIFIC ADAPTER IN THE WORKS. THEY ARE GOOD PEOPLE THEY WILL HELP YOU OUT IF YOU LET THEM. And like most race header this will be a pain in the ass to install no matter what so just be patient with it. I had to drop the subframe myself to get the damn thing in properly.

And yes I used to work at Skunk2 but that was like 5 years ago

sidesswipe
05-24-2014, 03:28 AM
I have heard some opinions from people to just get a separate muffler like the black vibrant one and find a resonator and mock it in at a muffler shop.
Would you be able to recommend a good resonator that will help quiet it down without robbing performance?

I sent a message to skunk2, hopefully they can help me with something.

sidesswipe
05-26-2014, 05:55 PM
I have tried to contact skunk for a couple days now. They have not responded to both my emails to sales and technical support

wcmbrk
05-27-2014, 11:32 PM
is your midpipe ep3 specific? Is your RH type s or EP specific...maybe they are not matches?? I have a type S plm header but had to get a modified mid pipe back to get it to fit correctly...

jonarms21
05-31-2014, 02:37 AM
Hello,
I was trying to install the Skunk2 race header (alpha) in my 04, with the K20a2 swap. The header did not want to line up with the exhaust, the extra flex piece that Skunk gave me was in no way going to mate with the exhaust going to the back.
I just bought the car, it does have an aftermarket T1 R midpipe but the direction and flow is the same.
Also the header looked like it was not going to bolt up straight without bumping against the front sway bar. I did not read about that issue before attempting the install, was I doing something wrong?

thank you for any assistance6727
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxqQBb5LlQNCa2x6WUNkdHo0WU0/edit?usp=sharing

Dude i am facing the same problem. And not very happy about. The down pipe or the test pipe that is SUPPOSED to bolt the midpipe to the header. It doesn't fit right at they gave me another 2 stud flange that if i cut the 3 stud flange off the midpipe and wield that other flange itll bolt perfectly up to the header. Fit perfect. So is that what i gotta why would skunk2 make shit so i have to cut and wield for it to fit right ???? Pleasr someone help i dont want my baby sitting on jack stands anymore

jonarms21
05-31-2014, 02:39 AM
Dude i am facing the same problem. And not very happy about. The down pipe or the test pipe that is SUPPOSED to bolt the midpipe to the header. It doesn't fit right at they gave me another 2 stud flange that if i cut the 3 stud flange off the midpipe and wield that other flange itll bolt perfectly up to the header. Fit perfect. So is that what i gotta why would skunk2 make shit so i have to cut and wield for it to fit right ?