PDA

View Full Version : Todd's v2 Caster Plates- couple issues

tallblondkid
06-01-2014, 08:56 PM
I have Todd's V2 Caster plates on top of the Koni 8611 shock and eibach Ground Control spring/sleeves. I installed them a few months back and have noticed 2 things I am concerned about:

1) I get a lot of popping noises when turning the steering wheel. Usually at stop or low speeds, and happens 90% of the time. It's pretty loud, and not sure if it is spring involved, but sounds like the popping is coming from the springs

2) I have done a few canyon runs and occasionally I will get a weird steering feedback when going downhill and only to the left. The steering almost becomes numb feeling, or like something starts pushing against it, fighting back.

Also, I have read time and time again of peoples plates coming lose. How can you tell when they come loose?

I have double checked to make sure they are both tight and not slipping, but could be missing something.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

USAF EP3
06-01-2014, 11:56 PM
For your first problem, that is the spring twisting on the perches and releasing at once becaus it cannot spin freely between the bottom and top perches. There are some shim/bearings you cn buy to prevent this from happening if it bothers you but it does not affect anything, it's just an annoying sound.

As for your second I cannot say. I would check all of your other suspension components before pointing to the caster plates. I have had them for over a year now and they have been nothing short of great. They did make existing problems in my suspension more pronounced than before and made me take action in replacing those worn and torn parts.

As far as slipping/loosening, that was the V1's that had tha issue because they could adjust bother camber and caser but only had two allen screws instead of the 3 that the V2's have and the V2's hve the caster locked at full positive.

tallblondkid
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
For your first problem, that is the spring twisting on the perches and releasing at once becaus it cannot spin freely between the bottom and top perches. There are some shim/bearings you cn buy to prevent this from happening if it bothers you but it does not affect anything, it's just an annoying sound.

As for your second I cannot say. I would check all of your other suspension components before pointing to the caster plates. I have had them for over a year now and they have been nothing short of great. They did make existing problems in my suspension more pronounced than before and made me take action in replacing those worn and torn parts.

As far as slipping/loosening, that was the V1's that had tha issue because they could adjust bother camber and caser but only had two allen screws instead of the 3 that the V2's have and the V2's hve the caster locked at full positive.

thanks for the reply. Your reasoning for the noise makes sense. Any suggestions on the shims/bearings that can be used?
As for the other issue, I will go back to check on everything else in the suspension.

USAF EP3
06-03-2014, 12:25 AM
thanks for the reply. Your reasoning for the noise makes sense. Any suggestions on the shims/bearings that can be used?
As for the other issue, I will go back to check on everything else in the suspension.

Man, I just read over my post and noticed so many typos! So sorry if that hurt your eyes as much as it did mine, I can't stand spelling/grammar mistakes.

No problem, it was something actually pointed out by the member AKEP he was tired of listening to the same noise and bought the bearings needed to let the springs spin freely. I would have to do some digging, but the info is here somewhere.

AKEP posted what size shims/bearings you need, they would have to be the same diameter as your springs. I believe Eibach makes them and he bought them off www.summitracing.com

tallblondkid
06-04-2014, 08:59 AM
No worries on the typos.

I emailed Todd and he suggested these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/iss-310-30660/overview/

I think I may try them out and see if they do what is needed.