PDA

View Full Version : A/c intermittently working?

tlikethedrink
06-15-2014, 09:31 PM
I had been meaning to charge my AC because it seemed to blow hot air from time to time. I don't use it much so it must have just started... But I can be driving the car normally or "on it" and haven't really found a pattern.

Well today I charged it. Worked immediately! Got temp out the vent down to 47* Awesome right. Before, it went to 55*...So I drive down the road and it fluctuates up to ambient again like before...then boom! Ice cold again. Doesn't matter how high the blower speed-

I'm wondering if by chance the clutch is slipping on the compressor? Could it still be low? Low side is cold to the touch, high is hot. It was low on coolant- but not too bad.

Any ideas?

theMan_ny
06-15-2014, 09:47 PM
These are the exact symptoms my A/C was having but I never had the chance to recharge it. Now it just doesn't engage/kick on at all.
You can take it to a shop and them check out all the components for ± $35.
Bump for some answers.

tlikethedrink
06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
turned my ac on today on my way to work. worked like a charm! maybe it wasnt on long enough to act up? maybe the refrigerant had time to circulate and distribute more evenly?
i'll be posting an update if problem reoccurs.

relativelyprime
07-10-2014, 12:18 PM
I think my AC has cycled on and off since I have owned my car. I too notice mine blows really cold (when I hear what I assume is the compressor engage) and then can feel after it cycles off that it's cool but not as cold. At stop lights my compressor has always cycled on and off. Checked the pressure with a $20 gauge and it was fine so I didn't add any this year.

StimulisRK
09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Same problem.
Through some people on the FB, I was told it's a clutch/compressor issue. You need to add a shim to clutch to increase the spacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 🚘