PDA

View Full Version : Si In the cold cold Cold

Mongoose
01-18-2003, 11:33 PM
I live in the Northeat, It has been very very very cold Lately, My car has been sucking Gas like a pig, And has lost some of it snap Just dont pull like it did before it got cold and started snowing, Does the computer do some Vodoo when its cold like chage fuel maps ect? any one else have this happen to them anything like this?

I have 4000 miles on it 4 months old oil change at 3750

Any Ideas

:( :p :(

02blksi
01-18-2003, 11:37 PM
boston huh?? hahah im writing from BC college right now LOL... -- anyways the decrease in performance can be due to the "winter blend" that the gas stations around the northeast switch to for better resistance to the elements -water, condensation, degredation of octane level.. etc... dont worry its all normal, plus believe it or not I noticed in all my dyno runs the car performs best when its really warmed for a bit. --Joe :)

PS- ITS F*KING COLD right now --

SoBibbSi
01-19-2003, 12:28 AM
I live in Ga, and i know its nowhere near as cold, but mine seems to like the cold air...it's been like 18-25 in the mornings when i'm getting up and it just screams
kinch

efcee
01-19-2003, 12:29 AM
yeah i dont even have an ep
and i live in a cold cold zone 5

Suk02Si
01-19-2003, 03:12 AM
today's low was 65; damn it's cold:D

SiR Medic
01-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Jeezus, try coming to Nova Scotia!

Most days its been about -12-15C, thats about 0 degrees F.

There have been some mornings when the car turns over a little slower, but other than that its been fine!

Just wish it wasn't covered in snow and salt all the time.:(

chet
01-19-2003, 11:50 AM
You California boys got it made when it comes to weather. It has to be nice to wake up to 55/60 degrees. It was down to 3 degrees in Indiana on Friday. I'm movin, that's all there is to it.

JSIR
01-19-2003, 01:14 PM
fuel mileage drops a lot in winter, at least I have noticed that, the winter gas doesn't help either, plus cold starts take longer for the engine to warm up to proper temp.

I don't know about performance, but generally cold weather is better for power.

LazyAzzAzian
01-19-2003, 01:36 PM
nice, another fellow mass hole, haha...its definitely been crazy cold the past couple of days, once my car warms up, it seems to be find, but that might be that i got my car in october, and it hasnt really seen nicer/warmer weather. funny thing is, i think i have more miles on my car than you do, and i dont think ive had it as long, didnt realize i drive around so much...well nice to know theres another ephatch member in boston, other than 02blksi, whos only a part-timer :D

Will2K2
01-19-2003, 02:38 PM
You Pussies

Here in Ottawa its been at least - 20c for the last week or so, a couple of days hit -30c plus the windchill for -40c

BTW!!!! -30c = - 22Fahrenheit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALCT
01-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Mongoose
I live in the Northeat, It has been very very very cold Lately, My car has been sucking Gas like a pig, And has lost some of it snap Just dont pull like it did before it got cold and started snowing, Does the computer do some Vodoo when its cold like chage fuel maps ect? any one else have this happen to them anything like this?

I have 4000 miles on it 4 months old oil change at 3750

Any Ideas

:( :p :(
its freezing here too, today I was just thinking about my car accelerating a bit faster than before. serious.:)

SiR Medic
01-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Do Canadians really need a CAI when the air is this FRIGGIN cold to begin with?

:o

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Do Canadians really need a CAI when the air is this FRIGGIN cold to begin with?

:o

Say, is that a serious question? Guess not. But I think "need" is a grey word. At this time of year there is def. no "need" but power is power and the colder the better...shivers as he types and watches icicles form on his nose:D

SPEEDEP
01-19-2003, 05:06 PM
I don't think i need my CAI on right now. I could drive on the high way for a hour and after if I put my tounge on the intake manifold it would stick. Maybe tooooo much cold air is bad!!!

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2003, 05:20 PM
SPEEDEP, nice pic, but your tongue would not stick. Runs around 115 deg F without the hondata gasket in. Try it, and don't say I didn't warn you. :D

SPEEDEP
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Where do you live ill drive to your house then you can touch it . Last night i stoped to fill up with wiper fluid and for some reason i decided to touch the manifold right at the front of the engine bay man it was frozen. Mayby because i was on the highway for a half hour and it was -20 something out:)

DownTheHatch
01-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Tonight in Florida it's 48F and tomorrow it looks like a high of 70F.

Tonight feels great though, doesn't feel like 48 degree weather, I've been outside workin all night. :)

I fell bad for you guys higher up north, hang in there.

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2003, 05:47 PM
No need bud I have the same temps here, I know it's bloody cold out. We should get together in the spring, I am going to spend the next month in Brazil on business and get out of this fuggin cold weather. Will take some pics of some warm beaches for all to scope. Can't wait to go. I'll be spending some time in Florida as well. :p

sonic imperial
01-20-2003, 07:54 AM
My car seems to run about the same no matter whether it's cold or warm outside. The only complaint I have about the cold is it takes while for the shifter to loosen up. After the car is warm and been driven a while in the cold it is much easier.

atl-si
01-20-2003, 09:19 AM
I always thought that cold will make your car run better.

SPEEDEP
01-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
No need bud I have the same temps here, I know it's bloody cold out. We should get together in the spring, I am going to spend the next month in Brazil on business and get out of this fuggin cold weather. Will take some pics of some warm beaches for all to scope. Can't wait to go. I'll be spending some time in Florida as well. :p

Ya spring will be cool. You don't have to rub it in my face that your going to be on the beaches LOL.
In spring i think illl need like a week to clen my car from all this salt:)

myeverlovinsir
01-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Look forward to meeting all the T.O. peps, should be a hoot. Funny, I have yet to meet another Toronto person in their ride. You would think that would be easy, and I'm usually in and out of Toronto on a daily basis. hmmm. A meet will be organized in the spring for all of us, hope to see the rest of Ontario there!;)