PDA

View Full Version : New Member introduction.

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Hey everyone! My name is Max, I'm from Long Island NY and I'm pretty pumped to finally be a member here on Ephatch.com. As of yesterday I am the new owner of this 02' SSM. I found the car on craigslist and traveled 2 hours to get it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I picked up and am excited to get under the car and start tinkering!

Today, I'm getting all the paperwork at the CT DMV (car is getting registered in CT under my pops address) and then going to my local guy to check out what needs to be taken care of to get everything at 90-95%. As of now, I know I need a new passenger front or rear motor mount, a valve job, and hopefully, some other small bits around the car.

In the next couple days I hope to order parts, head home back to Long Island, build some wooden car ramps (see link below), and change all fluids and do whatever I can to tighten the car up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467120

For clarification I plan on following the ramp model with the maroon e39. You guys think it'll offer enough clearance to get under the ep3 and change fluids and do other DIY work?

Also, if anyone is in the Long Island area and is down to meet up, chill, and help a fellow owner, pm me.

Time for pics! Only one I have so far but stay tuned for more.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/25/4udu5ysa.jpg

cow
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i107/theman79/fnftuna.gif

Welcome to the site.

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 09:32 AM
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks.

cow
07-24-2014, 09:54 AM
The next line in that exchange is Vince saying, "Why don't you try Fat Burger from now on? You can get yourself a cheese and fries for 2.95, faggot!"

I did some digging around (source (http://www.snapfinger.com/menus/fatburger/default.aspx?SiteID=1067)) & the same items are now $7.50. Inflation is a bitch, man.

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Good thing these ep3's are cost efficient [emoji110].

cow
07-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Good thing these ep3's are cost efficient [emoji110].

Relatively so, yeah.

Regarding those ramps you mentioned in your first post, it's hard to tell for sure, but I feel they might not be high enough for EP3 purposes.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-24-2014, 12:09 PM
if you are lowered definitely not. If not then probably not.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Welcome btw

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Anyone have an experience with homemade ramps? I guess it's time to utilize that search function haha.

usedep3
07-24-2014, 01:01 PM
is there a harbor freight by you? or sears even?

My first jack was a sears/craftsman kit that came with a 2-2.5 ton jack and 2 jackstands. IIRC it was only like $40-50 for everything.

Besides cost, is there a paticular reason you're going with these wooden ramps?

Welcome to the forum BTW

cow
07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
A friend of mine had some homemade ramps, but they were much longer (probably six feet) & got the car a good 1.5 feet off the ground. It was enough to slide under with a creeper, but honestly, even that didn't really feel high enough to comfortably work under the car. All my movements directly above me had to be done at these weird angles that were cramp-inducing. I recommend going high enough that if you're on your back (or a creeper), you can put your arm at a right angle straight up.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-24-2014, 03:29 PM
you look like a thin guy should be a little easier for you.

TunaNoMayo
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm going to school pretty soon and I want to have something that's portable enough between my home garage and a parking garage at school to do oil changes (high importance) or bolt on headers (low importance) persay.

Tnhatch03
07-25-2014, 04:50 AM
Welcome!

TunaNoMayo
07-25-2014, 05:24 AM
Oddly enough,my dad confirmed that I have two stands and a 2 ton jack at home. To get the car up and well supported, is 2 stands enough?

And I've decided that the first order of business is to set up a meeting time with a mechanic soon and order parts to replace the:

1. Head gasket (might as well have it done while valves are being readjusted.

2. Obviously, as noted before, valve adjustment.

3. New injectors: ngk platinums

4. New oil: 5w-30, amsoil or motul?

5. Oil filter: hamp filter

6. New tranny fluid: honda mtf and a new magnetic drain plug

7. Replace air filter

8. Have mechanic check over engine, clutch, exhaust, and suspension bits.

Hopefully, I'm headed in the right direction.

TunaNoMayo
07-25-2014, 05:41 AM
9. Also, clean the IAVC.

cow
07-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Hopefully, I'm headed in the right direction.:nod: :thumbu:

TunaNoMayo
07-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Is a magnetic drain plug for the transmission overkill?

cow
07-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Possibly, but it isn't a bad idea, especially on a twelve year old car. EP3s have a notorious third gear grind, so you'll probably see shavings regardless, but if the amount goes up, it's worth having. It's not like a magnetic drain plug costs a lot, so a little bit extra piece of mind for not a lot of money is never a bad thing.

The only counter I have is how often do you plan to check your transmission fluid/ drain your transmission?

TunaNoMayo
07-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Well the car has 195k so I'm hopefully looking to change the tranny fluid every 15k? Is that overkill? Every 5 motor oil changes?

TunaNoMayo
07-25-2014, 08:20 AM
And cow, any recommendations on a magnetic drain plug?

cow
07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Well the car has 195k so I'm hopefully looking to change the tranny fluid every 15k? Is that overkill? Every 5 motor oil changes?

Personally, I measure whether something is overkill in terms of investment vs benefit. Changing transmission fluid every 15k miles is certainly not a bad idea & if you enjoy working on cars, it's probably something you'll enjoy doing. It's probably a bit too often, but it's absolutely not something I'd tell you, "Hey man, you're being dumb looking after your car so well.

I'm honestly way less likely to give a shit on a sub $10,000 car than I am on a $40,000 car, too. I want it to run as long as possible, obviously, but spending tons of time & money on preventative maintenance may extend its life, but there's a point where I'm investing too much on a vehicle where it's costing more (time, money, or both) than it's worth.

In summary, it's probably a bit overkill, but not a bad idea.

Regarding drain plugs, I don't have any recommendations.