PDA

View Full Version : K20A3 Build - Newbie Needs Guidance!

MaarkyMark
08-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Hello Everybody,

So I am not going to act like I know what I am talking about... I am new to tuning and could use some help.

I just got my Ep3 and love the thing, but I would like a bit more whp. I would eventually (way down the road) like to do a full engine swap, however, for now, this is my DD. For reliability reasons I would like to stay all motor. Right now the car is all stock except for new parts I have put on for maintence (Sway Bar Links, Struts, Clutch, Tires, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Brakes, etc.)

What path should I take? Is it possible to get 200hp out of the A3 and still have it be dependable? If so how do I get there?

Thanks all!

P.S. - If there is already a thread out there that answers this post and you have a link, just lemme know! :)

mussh
09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
many threads that cover this.
i'll sum it up for you.

the only way you will get 200 whp out of the a3, is to go forced induction.

the smartest way to get 200 whp, is to swap in a k24a2, put a rbc and a good header on, get kpro and tune it.

Ba82Ep3
09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
False.

He could swap in a three lobe rocker assembly (flipped pin VTEC) or do VTEC killer and k20a2 or k20z1 cams and get really close to 200whp. He would need KPro, a tune, and supporting mods as well.

mussh
09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
False.

He could swap in a three lobe rocker assembly (flipped pin VTEC) or do VTEC killer and k20a2 or k20z1 cams and get really close to 200whp. He would need KPro, a tune, and supporting mods as well.

he is a novice.
he would have to pay to have that done and still probably not break 190 whp.
might as well save his cash and do the k24.

although if he did do the vtec killer set, he would get a crash course in the k series. it would definetly be an educational mod.

Yomimito
09-27-2014, 08:05 PM
You need kpro and boltons first . For DD the best way is A2 head swap. I'm running on vtec killer for 3 year now w/o problem. Run vtec killer For DD is possible , but need a lot of tuning .

wcmbrk
09-28-2014, 12:24 AM
parts for vtec killer is cheap...you are correct that labor is expensive...(1200 to do my vtec killer) 192/153 whp...and tuning is key for reliability.

he is a novice.
he would have to pay to have that done and still probably not break 190 whp.
might as well save his cash and do the k24.

although if he did do the vtec killer set, he would get a crash course in the k series. it would definetly be an educational mod.

tlikethedrink
09-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Def start with the basics. & or suspension... Since you mentioned maintenance including struts and tires I would lean towards intake header and exhaust. If you plan a swap those will bolt right on.