PDA

View Full Version : I test drove an Acura RSX type S yesterday

snubnose
07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Test drives are free do so why not?

The type S was black. A very beautiful car.

Handling is excellent.

I never got it above 4th gear on the local road I drove on but I did take it to about 5k rpm. The exhaust note was high and whiny, like an angry hive of bees.

However, despite the 6th gear, I have learned the the type S is at about 3800 rpm at 75mph.

The exhaust note on the Si sounds better, I feel, like a snarling German shepherd.

The Acura's stereo is vastly superior to the Si.

The Si's torque is much better at lower RPMs ,however.

The car's biggest weakness is that it looks like every other Acura. You won't get that look of shock from other drivers that you get when driving the Si.

For about $5,000 less the Si is more car for the money, I feel. The Si gauges are better, the HDAC is simpler and easier to use and the Si's power is close enough to almost say it is equal.

I feel the Si has more torque all over the bandwidth, whereas in the RSX type S you have to get in the upper RPMs to enjoy the torque. At low rpms, the type S is just like any other Honda.

After driving the Acura type S, sticker price $23,600, I feel the Si is the deal of the century. I drove my Si immediately after the type S for a comparison over the same course and the Si was more fun.

That's my impression.

iR-VTEC2
07-23-2002, 01:24 PM
I dont think that is a fair assumption of the Type-S. You could not open it up like you could your Si.

I'm sure that if you could sample that car the way you wanted to, and learn that car, your opinion would dramatically change.

As for the RSX looking like every other acura, then every other acura turns heads here. The RSX always gets stared and drooled over here while my car, (Si) is always mistaken for a fuckin FOCUS.

A FOCUS. Now whenever i see a focus im like EEEWWW UGLY. And if people are mistaking my car for a focus than am I to assume that they think it's ugly? You bet.

Now don't get me wrong here! I love my car but If given the opportunity to trade my car for an RSX-S, I might seriously consider it.

I love the RSX. It's refined, beautiful, grown up and at the same time, its image screams profanity at a world of genteel cars.

*pops open beer*

beretta627
07-23-2002, 02:07 PM
Surprising that you think the Si w/ its inferior engine has more torque.

Sticker for the RSX-S is 23,6 ... I find this very amusing because Woodland Hills Honda in the los angeles valley has 5 white EP's sitting in the lot w/ dealer markup for that exact price. I went to check them out, and told them I was going to spend the exact thing to get a far superior vehicle. :p They promptly offered to remove the markup.

I think you need to go drive an RSX-S the way you'd want to. Your impression would probably change. :)

SpeedRacer
07-23-2002, 02:43 PM
WHATEVER my friend has a type S yea it is fast but you guys make it out to be some super fast awesome car which in my opinion it is not all that. stop reading magazines and go drive one for yourself. I have raced my friends type S which has intake and exhaust c-west body kit (it looks sweet) anyways he beats me but not by like 10 car lengths or anything plus my car is stock. Type S is a cool car but the Si is more unique in many ways than the type S. I had someone with a type s want to buy my interior and put it in his car i dont know if it would fit but i wouldnt sell my interior anyways. and if you put that extra 3"200 that the Type S cost into your Si you will smoke a stock type S. si sticker is 19,400 and the type S is like 23,600 (that is without markup. I would never buy a car more than sticker) So for the money the Si is a better car in my opinion

MagusDC5
07-23-2002, 02:55 PM
The type S is sort of like the old B series were. Its power is in the high RPM's and VTEC engagement isnt til 5800rpm...you wont even feel it til 6k.

The Si feels like it has more torque is because it has a lower redline and gets its power early. Look at the torque curve on the S and the Si and youll see what I mean....peak torque isnt reached until 6krpm.

I feel the Si is the deal of the century.
I disagree. Depending where you live this may or may not be true. Ask the people who paid 19k and up. That is not a deal on a CIVIC. The EM1 Si only went for about 17k new. Invoice for the Type S is $21,650 with destination, and I know a lot of people who have gotten under that. If you want to talk about deals you wouldnt be talking about a Honda...theres better cars for around the same prices we paid for our cars.

I respect that you kept the car at low rpms, you saved someones new car from being beat on in the break in period. :)

SpeedRacer
07-23-2002, 03:04 PM
in the us the sticker price is 19,400 and that isn't a bad deal unless you want to drive a ford focusc. anyways most people got it for less than sticker if they bargained and if they didn't well to bad but the sticker is 19,4 in the states

02TafWhtSi
07-23-2002, 03:54 PM
If I had an extra 3 or 4 grand avaialble when I was shopping for a car 3 months ago I would have definitely purchased the RSX Type S. It is an AMAZING machine which I immediately fell in love with after the test drive. Although the dealership wouldn't budge on the sticker (high demand? low supply?) I was really close to saying "F' it, you only live once!" Then I remembered the insurance premiums and quickly changed my mind. Anyway, when it came between the base RSX and my Si I didn't even give it a second thought - but that Type S is still on my "wish list" :)

SpeedRacer
07-23-2002, 04:07 PM
fuck the RSX lol anyways yea everyone in my town owns an RSX and i think that is one reason i dont like it you never see the Si on the streets around here but the RSX is everywhare

Mulder
07-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
The exhaust note was high and whiny, like an angry hive of bees.

The exhaust note on the Si sounds better, I feel, like a snarling German shepherd.

I like the similes, gave me a chuckle :D

BlazeX12
07-23-2002, 04:30 PM
my mom drive the base model rsx, and granted its not the type S, but the one thing i didnt like about it was the head room. im 6'4, and my head was in the sunroof, all i could see was the air bag warning on the visor, visabilty in the car when you head is in the sun roof is terrible. I have never driven the type S, so i cant comment on the feel of it.

MagusDC5
07-23-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
in the us the sticker price is 19,400 and that isn't a bad deal unless you want to drive a ford focusc. anyways most people got it for less than sticker if they bargained and if they didn't well to bad but the sticker is 19,4 in the states

I already knew that was the sticker. I did test drive the car, as it was one of the replacements I was looking at for my EM1. However sticker of 19 is way too much for a Civic. And with dealer markup, hmph, that just makes it worse. And you say it isnt a bad deal unless you want to drive a focus...have you looked at the front of your car lately? The only way that front looks appealing to me is with a CTR lip bolted on to it.

MagusDC5
07-23-2002, 04:36 PM
fuck the RSX lol anyways yea everyone in my town owns an RSX and i think that is one reason i dont like it you never see the Si on the streets around here but the RSX is everywhare

Sucks for you in LA...here in PA ive only seen one other Type S..and two bases.

SpeedRacer
07-23-2002, 04:40 PM
sure does

iR-VTEC2
07-24-2002, 12:15 AM
I hardly see RSX's here or Si's. Both of them are semi-rare.
What i do see a lot are MOTHER FRICKEN Focus'

Everywhere you go....an old lady in a Focus wagon, a riceboy-with-glasses (Focus pun) in a lowered Focus HB with huge exhaust, a Teenaged girl in a black Focus 4 Door or that hideous banana Focus.

Ford will sell a car to anyone regardless of credit and people know this. Damned Focus'

Mechanic
07-24-2002, 03:19 AM
I considered the Acura. Whichever line gets an R first - either Honda or Acura, I'll buy one. Until then, I like the way the Si looks, and the deep discount made it an easy choice.

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:12 PM
The EM1 Si only went for about 17k new

I got mine for 16,7 out the door.

MagusDC5, I believe you are incorrect on the RSX-S vtec engagement. I was under the impression it had variable high cam lobe engagement at variable RPM, depending on the load on the engine just like the K20a. The major difference between the two was that there were high-rpm cam lobes on both the intake and exhaust camshafts for the RSX, while the Si only had the high lobes on the intake cam. Are you sure about the static engagement point for the RSX-S? Thanks

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by beretta627

I got mine for 16,7 out the door.

MagusDC5, I believe you are incorrect on the RSX-S vtec engagement. I was under the impression it had variable high cam lobe engagement at variable RPM, depending on the load on the engine just like the K20a. The major difference between the two was that there were high-rpm cam lobes on both the intake and exhaust camshafts for the RSX, while the Si only had the high lobes on the intake cam. Are you sure about the static engagement point for the RSX-S? Thanks

Everytime I floor it past 6krpm you can audibly hear the camshaft changeover. Trust me, I had an Si myself and know what VTEC sounds like when it engages, its not any different on this engine. K20A is the JDM Integra R motor. Are you talking about the A3 on the new Si? That is the motor that has high lobes on the intake cam...the A2 is what is in my Type S where it is on both intake and exhaust.
Go to ClubRSX and ask around...5800 is the switchover, I believe thats what my Si switched over at as well before my V-AFC was installed.

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the US engine stamps ... but I am pretty sure the RSX-S's ECU is programmed with a variable engagement point, and it is jumping up on the high lobes because you're mashing the pedal. If you just ease up the RPM's without flooring it, is the cam change at the same point? Just curious.

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Sounds and feels like it. All the VTC is there for is better fuel economy. Also check out the one post MadMax explained...he said it best.

Go test drive one unsupervised, best way to see for yourself. :)

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:41 PM
i

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by MagusDC5

? The only way that front looks appealing to me is with a CTR lip bolted on to it.

you bought a car that you dont even think is appealing that sucks for you man.:rolleyes:

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:43 PM

you bought a car that you dont even think is appealing that sucks for you man.:rolleyes:

:confused: what are you talking about? I don't own an EP3.

<--- My cars are in my Avatar.

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:44 PM
DC5 != EP3 :D

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by beretta627
DC5 != EP3 :D

man you guys are confusing lol

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
this forum is actually moving right now ... pretty entertaining :D

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:48 PM
oh uh ok I feal stupid.
sorry i dont know all the terms but i figured if you are at an EP3 website you would own one.:confused:

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:51 PM
oh uh ok I feal stupid.
sorry i dont know all the terms but i figured if you are at an EP3 website you would own one.:confused:

I'm a coupe Si owner ... does that mean I'm not allowed to be here either :confused:

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 03:10 PM
I test drove one and also owned a coupe Si...dosnt that count? :p