PDA

View Full Version : install koni inserts without stock struts

phunguyen923
08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Hi guys. I am having problem installing koni shocks on my ep3. I know that the front koni shocks are inserts that need stock ep3 struts. I do not have those because previous owner lowered it on sh!tty raceland. I'm thinking about using rsx-s front stock struts that I got from a friend. Will they fit? What parts do I need to buy to make them fit? Thanks in advance.
(Few questions: what spring rate should I get for ground control? I have street tire on 15x6.5 rims)

303EP
08-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Hi guys. I am having problem installing koni shocks on my ep3. I know that the front koni shocks are inserts that need stock ep3 struts. I do not have those because previous owner lowered it on sh!tty raceland. I'm thinking about using rsx-s front stock struts that I got from a friend. Will they fit? What parts do I need to buy to make them fit? Thanks in advance.
(Few questions: what spring rate should I get for ground control? I have street tire on 15x6.5 rims)

Do you know what size the koni struts are? I think they make a 50mm and a 55mm. If they are 55mm then they will work fine with RSX struts. You will just have to buy RSX tie rod ends to make the front struts work. If they are 50mm, then you will need to find 02 EP3 struts (Some 03 EP3 struts) and make sure the strut diameter is 50mm.

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Actually I haven't bought then yet. I want to make sure they'll fit first. I came to a jdm shop and those guys did not know sh!t. Thanks a lot. And I have just 1 more question. Mustclime from clubep3 recommend to get rsx-s koni rear shock because they are more aggressive since they're made for rsx. Will they fit perfect on my ep3? Will I need tie rod ends also? Once again thank you.

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Do you know what size the koni struts are? I think they make a 50mm and a 55mm. If they are 55mm then they will work fine with RSX struts. You will just have to buy RSX tie rod ends to make the front struts work. If they are 50mm, then you will need to find 02 EP3 struts (Some 03 EP3 struts) and make sure the strut diameter is 50mm.

Actually I haven't bought them yet. I want to make sure they'll fit first. I came to a jdm shop and those guys did not know sh!t. Thanks a lot. And I have just 2 more questions. Mustclime from clubep3 recommends to get rsx-s koni rear shock because they are more aggressive since they're made for rsx. Will they fit perfectly on my ep3? Will I need tie rod ends also? And what groundcontrol coilover sleeves should I get, those for rsx or ep3 to make them work? Once again thank you

Hasbro
08-28-2014, 01:19 AM
I have RSX Koni dampers and RSX struts. That's the better way to go as Musty stated.

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 07:17 AM
I have RSX Koni dampers and RSX struts. That's the better way to go as Musty stated.

Yeah I did say that. You have front and rear or just rear? And what ground control set did u get? The ones are for rsx or ep3?

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 07:31 AM
He did say that*

303EP
08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
To make the rears fit you need to grind down the bushing so it fits in your trailing arm. That's it!

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
So with this kind of setup which groundcontrol coilover sleeves should I get? The ones that are for ep3 or rsx-s

Hasbro
08-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Are they different? Not sure. Or are you asking about the springs being different ? It's been a while and I bought an RSX front strut that had RSX Konis already put together. Even the rear RSX Koni bushing had been ground down. Grinding or filing the lower rear bushing is very easy.

I saw you are thinking about 450/700 springs. Why? It's a very good match to the chassis for light track but you will feel it on the street. If you are only dropping down, I believe, 1", you could go lighter. I know I've been advocating 450/700 but do you need it? Not trying to talk you out of them, just curious.

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Are they different? Not sure. Or are you asking about the springs being different ? It's been a while and I bought an RSX front strut that had RSX Konis already put together. Even the rear RSX Koni bushing had been ground down. Grinding or filing the lower rear bushing is very easy.

I saw you are thinking about 450/700 springs. Why? It's a very good match to the chassis for light track but you will feel it on the street. If you are only dropping down, I believe, 1", you could go lighter. I know I've been advocating 450/700 but do you need it? Not trying to talk you out of them, just curious.
I don't really care about comfort. I want to get the best handling for my car. Since you have identical setup like me (rsx front struts with koni inserts and rsx rear koni shock), what groundcontrol coilover kits that you got? The ep3 version or the rsx version? That is the last info I need before I go buy them at a local shop.

phunguyen923
08-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I meant if the gc rsx version will fit or gc ep3 version will fit. Since I have front struts from rsx and rsx rear koni