PDA

View Full Version : loose front ball joint, fiasco - advise sought

knif3buy3r
09-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Hi All,

I have a question for you si experts! I have an 02 si ep hatch, and have been hearing some rattling from the lower right passenger side ball joint area. Took it to Honda dealer, they showed me there was a little play in the ball joint where it fits into its circular connection. They want to charge me for;

2 front stabilizer links $177
2 rear stab links $272

1 lwr rt fnt ball joint & knuckle bearing $845

plus a bunch of labor too.

Kindly would you all know of an inexpensive way to fix this? Also they say this ball jnt issue is unsafe and needs to be fixed immediately. perhaps a scare tactic. Car has 95 k miles on it.

I thank you for any advice you may provide! cheers, all and have a nice day!

Eric
-- :msmile:

usedep3
09-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Is there a problem with your endlinks? Why are all 4 being replaced? Replacing them is super simple. You can do it your self.

Is it just the ball joint that needs to be replaced? Honda doesnt sell just the ball joint and that's why they're replacing the entire knucke. You can get the ball joint by itself from an autozone/advance auto for less than $100. You'll need access to a press to press out the old one and press in the new one. This replacement requires a few more tools but you should also be able to do this.

Good Luck

knif3buy3r
09-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Is there a problem with your endlinks? Why are all 4 being replaced? Replacing them is super simple. You can do it your self.

Good question, I am not sure. I will look in to that. Thank You Very Much.

Is it just the ball joint that needs to be replaced? Honda doesnt sell just the ball joint and that's why they're replacing the entire knucke. You can get the ball joint by itself from an autozone/advance auto for less than $100. You'll need access to a press to press out the old one and press in the new one. This replacement requires a few more tools but you should also be able to do this.

Good Luck

I will look into this as well. Thanks very much. So helpful, best to you! Cheers.

Her-Name's-Ally
09-10-2014, 06:26 PM
1st things 1st avoid the stealership like the plague. As he mentioned the ball joints are relatively inexpensive. I would look for a good mechanic in the area and they should be able to get it done much cheaper. As for it being dangerous, that is where they are telling the truth. Be careful...The endlinks wont cause rattling so that is the least of the concern, specially the rears.

knif3buy3r
09-11-2014, 07:32 AM
1st things 1st avoid the stealership like the plague. As he mentioned the ball joints are relatively inexpensive. I would look for a good mechanic in the area and they should be able to get it done much cheaper. As for it being dangerous, that is where they are telling the truth. Be careful...The endlinks wont cause rattling so that is the least of the concern, specially the rears.

thank you for this advice! so helpful. *** if anyone who would happen to see this thread would know of a good mechanic in the Chicago area, please chime in. Thank You in advance and all be well, cheers, E ***

knif3buy3r
09-11-2014, 07:35 AM
another question, How would I know how to inform auto parts store of the correct, ball joint I require? Is that all I need is the ball joint, no other bolts, supplies, etc? Thanks in advance, and cheers, E ~

ep_hatcher_510
09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Just let them know the car (be specific that it is the SI HATCHBACK, a lot of things gets mixed up between the coupe/sedans and our cars) and they should be able to find one for you. For the lower ball joint avoid anything from MOOG, they are a good company but their ball joints have a grease fitting on top that will interfere with your axle boot. If you take it to a mechanic to do the job might as well have them order the part too.

knif3buy3r
09-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Just let them know the car (be specific that it is the SI HATCHBACK, a lot of things gets mixed up between the coupe/sedans and our cars) and they should be able to find one for you. For the lower ball joint avoid anything from MOOG, they are a good company but their ball joints have a grease fitting on top that will interfere with your axle boot. If you take it to a mechanic to do the job might as well have them order the part too.

thank you so much, that will help very much! the best to you, cheers, eric

Her-Name's-Ally
09-11-2014, 04:20 PM
If you have a chance post this on the facebook group page and tag Peter Gilwa. He is in the area and can probably help you out.

knif3buy3r
09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
If you have a chance post this on the facebook group page and tag Peter Gilwa. He is in the area and can probably help you out.

I will try that, thank you so much!

E