PDA

View Full Version : inner tie rod wrench size

cja3455
02-17-2015, 06:26 AM
anybody knows what size of wrench fits over the inner tie rod ? i'm trying to order a jumbo size of one of those crowfoot wrench sockets
http://www.autotoolworld.com/Sunex-9..._p_180622.html (http://www.autotoolworld.com/Sunex-97434-12-Inch-Drive-Jumbo-Crowfoot-Wrench-34mm_p_180622.html)
that will make the inner tie rod removal and torque much easier with an extension, not sure what the right size is

USAF EP3
02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
1 1/8 inch is what I used.

cja3455
02-17-2015, 04:57 PM
thanks, just ordered a 1 1/8 crowfoot wrench socket. did that inner rod give you hard time to get it out or was it simple ?

USAF EP3
02-19-2015, 01:09 PM
thanks, just ordered a 1 1/8 crowfoot wrench socket. did that inner rod give you hard time to get it out or was it simple ?

The inner tie rods have staked secure washers so I recommend un-doing the staked part before wrenching them off. I didn't know this before beginning to take them off and found myself wrenching harder than I should've before realizing what was causing it to be so difficult.

After looking at the helm's manual it says to replace the security washers when they are removed. I bought myself a pair since they weren't very expensive.

cja3455
03-02-2015, 05:27 PM
got the new tie rods installed; the tie rod ends was easy but the inner tie rod was a bit** ... took the car for an alignment and got it all within spec except for the rear camber; i'm getting -1.5 degrees of camber both sides in the rear and the technician can't seem to do anything about it since I don't have a camber kit; leaving it as is as -1.5 isn't that bad; the spec lower limit is -1.4 so it's a little off

USAF EP3
03-03-2015, 08:25 PM
got the new tie rods installed; the tie rod ends was easy but the inner tie rod was a bit** ... took the car for an alignment and got it all within spec except for the rear camber; i'm getting -1.5 degrees of camber both sides in the rear and the technician can't seem to do anything about it since I don't have a camber kit; leaving it as is as -1.5 isn't that bad; the spec lower limit is -1.4 so it's a little off

Glad it worked out for you!

The camber isn't that bad if you plan on doing some fun stuff with your EP. Try to dial in some negative camber up front if you decide to do any aggressive driving. With -1.5* in the rear, you'd want something around -2.0* to -2.5* up front with the right set of tires.

Play around with your set up, you'll never know what's right for you if you never try!