PDA

View Full Version : Honda Scan Tool

AceEngineer
07-18-2015, 09:19 AM
I got a SRS light on my dash last week indicating a fault in the SRS (air bag) system. My OBDII scanner could not access the SRS codes and the dealer wanted $69 to diagnose it for me. This sent me on a search for a scan tool that would access all the Honda functions like SRS & EPS. Well after searching for several days, I came up with what appears to be an actual Honda Scan Tool with the Honda software for only $129. There have been several versions of the Honda factory tool and each one is back compatible with the previous versions. I got the second latest version which will cover cars from 1992 to 2014.11. The software version is V3.015.020 and the seller advertises that the software does not require any activation. It should arrive on Monday and I will test it out immediately and post the results here. I've looked at the Honda scan tools for a couple of years now and this is the first time I found a low cost version of the same tool that Honda gets $3300 for. Of course, the Honda tool comes with its own laptop, but I've got one I can dedicate to the tool. Here is the link to the system I bought: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newest-Version-V3-012-023-for-Honda-HDS-HIM-Diagnostic-Tool-with-Double-Board/1991418933.html . If everything is kosher, this tool will let me do it all, including programing for the chipped key and other automated testing. Now every time my factory manual says use the Honda scan tool and follow the directions it gives you, I won't have hit a dead end. Anyhow, I will report back here and let you all know if this tool is really what it claims to be.

AceEngineer

cja3455
07-18-2015, 05:42 PM
There's a diy on club rsx on how to read the code without any tool, you just connect two terminals in the obd2 and count the number of flashing lights

usedep3
07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
There's a diy on club rsx on how to read the code without any tool, you just connect two terminals in the obd2 and count the number of flashing lights

i was gonna post the same exact comment but for $129... :rockon:

I had the SRS light come on before. If I recall correctly, the local Honda dealer checked it free of charge. I thought Honda dealers didn't or weren't suppose to charge for inspecting safety/restraint components (seatbelts and airbags). Any way, it turned out to be a faulty driver's side seatbelt buckle. I think I did have to pay for parts and labor, but I don't remember.

Similarly, Honda replaced the seatbelt track for those automatic seatbelts on my dad's old 1991 Accord for free.

AceEngineer
08-05-2015, 09:36 AM
OK guys, here is my report on the scan tool I bought. First of all, the reason it took so long to get back to this thread is the software supplied with the scanner had a nasty virus on the disc that was supplied. Really screwed up my laptop; lucky my son is a computer technician and he managed to strip it out of my computer. I have another disc on the way from the supplier but in the meantime my son found the same software out on the internet and downloaded a working copy. To make a long story short, I now have a working Honda Interface Module (HIM) which is the Honda factory scan tool. The software I have covers Honda/Acura cars from 1995 to 2014.5. Some of the newer stuff is greyed out when the tool is hooked to my EP3, but it is all there. The software is self-instructive meaning the instructions for the various tests are spelled out step by step on the screen. What a great tool. The SRS light turned out to be a spurious fault in the driver’s side seat belt switch that went away when I erased the code and hasn’t reappeared. There was another code for the EPS system that hadn’t tripped the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp), but was listed as a fault. It was something about the speed sensor and it also went away and hasn’t reappeared once erased. I ran a couple of the built in tests to wring out the tool and the EVAP System test took the longest, more than 5 minutes. The VTECH test was interesting, it had me hold a certain RPM with the throttle while it turned the cam shift on and off. It made a rather subtle change in the sound of the exhaust as it changed.
The module is capable of recording driving data without the laptop for playback later, something I will test out in the future.
Anyhow, love the tool. It turned out to be a great buy once we got the software sorted out. If anyone has specific questions, fire away. I’ll try to get some screen shots next time I have it hooked to my car.

AceEngineer