PDA

View Full Version : Progress Coilovers series 1 Review

PRODIUS
10-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone, wanted to share my opinion of the Progress Group Coilovers Series 1 for the RSX/EP3. I would have posted in the Review section, but after being a members for over 13 years I still do not have permission to start a thread there...so here we go:

Seller: THMotorsports had the best price of $850 for the product and a very professional web site. Their site indicated that the product was in stock when I ordered in the summer, but it was not after I placed my order. I was informed that the product would be made to order by Progress and that this would take a few weeks, and that’s understandable. After waiting 4 weeks I contacted THMotorsports to receive an ETA on delivery; the email I received was not professionally worded and the tone was overly aggressive, stating that the order would take 12 weeks. This unprofessional communication initially made me want to cancel the order, but the information contained was at least accurate and I patiently waited for my order, that once available, shipped direct from the manufacturer. I got what I paid for but may reconsider them next time unless they improve their communications and maintain an accurate web inventory.

Car: Suspension was installed on my 2002 Civic SIR with front and rear JDM Type-R suspension including sway bars, K24A2 with 242 hp and 221 tq, 205/50/16 Continental Extreme Contact DW summer tires on 16x7 Enkei DM5 wheels.

Product: The Progress coilovers came well packed and with no missing parts. The instructions are directed at a professional installer and leave many gaps for the amateur owner to figure out. Since these products are mainly directed at auto enthusiasts who prefer to perform the work themselves, an improved step-by-step instruction or online video would be appreciated and is expected in this day and age. The parts are easily assembled prior to installation and of very high quality; it really feels like a professional product with beautiful welds and high strength materials.

Installation of the rear coilovers was easy for me, but I had my mechanic install the fronts. One of the problems of a RSX/EP3 generic product is that they are always designed foremost for the RSX, leaving a few problems for us EP3 owners to figure out. The front coilovers require the longer RSX tie rod ends to fit the EP3, something not mentioned in the instructions and adding additional cost to the parts list, so be aware.

Adjusting the vehicle height with the car on the ground and raising the front or the back with a jack is easy. With camber dialed in at -1.5 front and rear and the EP3 lowered about 1.5” below EOM specs, it leaves a nice 2 finger gap between fenders and tires. The system can go substantially lower as well, likely another 1 inch or more, but I prefer function over form.

The suspensions ride is firm but with excellent rebound and damping for most roads and provides a real sense of confidence and communication. Smooth pavement feels like the OEM Type-R suspension (which it replaced) or more likely the Mugen set-up as it is a little stiffer then the R. On less than ideal roads you feel every camber change and crack or expansion joint, but not harshly, but this may not be true if your running a thinner sidewall then I. It’s when constant imperfections exist on the road that the stiffness makes itself felt and a possibly softer spring rate could have improved the commuter ride. The shocks react better at high speeds and absorb much of the higher frequency road imperfections and really making the suspension shine. The spring rates are high and do not bounce, and reduce front and back body dive noticeably when accelerating or braking hard. No noise or vibrations are transferred to the cabin and the coilovers themselves are very quiet since they utilize the OEM hats for a plastic on metal contact, rather than most “pillowball” coils with metal on metal. If yours are not in good condition, this again would be an additional cost for the install, and due to this set-up, the coilovers do not have an adjustable camber/caster plate option.

One peculiar note is that my mechanic said that while the parts are great quality in the box, he was unsatisfied with some general looseness in the front coilovers once installed with everything torqued down. He did not elaborate further and I will check on this next time my car is up on hoist. Not sure if this is a build issue, a bracket out of spec, or an overly large bolt hole, but I will keep an eye on it. At the moment it does not seems to cause any adverse effect, but time will tell and these are rebuild-able through Progress.

Overall the product is as advertised by Progress; a high quality product that is focused on sharpening the RSX/EP3, easily adjusted for height, initially very good build quality with re-buildable fronts, and a truly made in America product, California to be precise.

I will update this review if anything changes, but I only drive 5000 km per year,,,so that could take a while, lol.

Cheers

MyronGainz
10-09-2015, 07:43 PM
i'll follow this thread. I will be either going with A-spec or these when I get my tax return money.

PRODIUS
10-11-2015, 11:40 AM
A spec would be great; it's the same as the TypeR I was using so really easy to install, but you do have to press out the rsx bunching from the lower rear shocks since they are too wide. Order the ep3 bushings from any Honda parts counter. Only issue with the a spec is that the drop is very mild and still gives the car a tall look, but the are super comfortable and worry free if purchased new.

MyronGainz
10-15-2015, 05:59 PM
My main concern is suspension geometry. I have been ready mustclime's threads about suspension. Somewhere in there, he mentioned that a drop past 1 inch negatively affects steering responsiveness. So how trustworthy is his knowledge on suspension? I was also going to replace all control arm bushings with the energy bushing kit, rsx type s tie rod ends, new ball joints and a type R rear sway bar.