PDA

View Full Version : Front caliper rebuild

chocker
11-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Hi guys,

My front end was getting noisy and got louder with higher speeds. When I braked, I would get a lot of vibration from the pedal and noise as well. I noticed a lot of brake dust on my driver's side front wheel. I checked it out and saw that the piston just would not retract with a C clamp on it. I checked the passenger side and it seemed fine. I figured that a rebuild would be in order. That shouldn't be a problem. I will take care of that soon as I have to get the parts. So I cleaned and re-greased the slides and noticed when I put the caliper back on there was a certain bit of push back from the slides considering that one of them has a gasket on it. Is this normal to keep the pads closer to the rotor. I saw that it happened on both sides.

Thanks,

Mark

EP3Lov3
11-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Hi guys,

My front end was getting noisy and got louder with higher speeds. When I braked, I would get a lot of vibration from the pedal and noise as well. I noticed a lot of brake dust on my driver's side front wheel. I checked it out and saw that the piston just would not retract with a C clamp on it. I checked the passenger side and it seemed fine. I figured that a rebuild would be in order. That shouldn't be a problem. I will take care of that soon as I have to get the parts. So I cleaned and re-greased the slides and noticed when I put the caliper back on there was a certain bit of push back from the slides considering that one of them has a gasket on it. Is this normal to keep the pads closer to the rotor. I saw that it happened on both sides.

Thanks,

Mark

Depends what you mean by "push-back" from the slider pins. I assume its just the air trapped inside the dust boot on the pin and when you compress, it wants to push back out cause of the air.

chocker
11-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Yeah when I re-greased them there was a resistance when inserting the slides. Do you know where the slide pin with the bushing is supposed to be located because when I re-greased both sides, it was in different locations.

Mark

AKEP
11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah when I re-greased them there was a resistance when inserting the slides. Do you know where the slide pin with the bushing is supposed to be located because when I re-greased both sides, it was in different locations.

Mark

not sure what you're talking about except for a slide pin and grease... but it sounds like you have bubbles trapping in the air in the calipers where the slides pins go. you could try clearing out some grease as you dont need much to keep it smooth.

chocker
11-30-2015, 03:15 PM
It's actually a lot easier now. Once I rebuilt the caliper I opened the slide boots once the slides were inserted and that let out some air. The resistance is very minimal now.

Thanks,

Mark