PDA

View Full Version : New EP3 owner here!

EH339
02-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Well, I drove an EG Si for 20 years until the rear quarter panel rust was too much. Sigh. So last year, I decided to switch to an EP3. I prefer owning a hatchback. After hunting around a bit, and being really cheap, I ended up with a black '03 EP3 with 213K miles for $1500. It needed a primary O2 sensor, the SRS light was on, and the exhaust was tired. I do like driving this car, but I miss my EG Si.

My old Si handled better. I plan to upgrade the stock suspension. Probably going with Konis, but Bilsteins are under consideration. The EP3 has a higher profile and on a windy day, I feel the wiind gusts more in this car. But the engine is nice and torquey.

Otherwise, I find it odd that Honda discontinued making a muffler for our cars. Right now, I've got two backup used stock mufflers bought off of craigslist. Today, another person who just bought an EP3 asked me to sell her one of my used mufflers... but I probably won't. This situation is going to make me a hoarder. lol! I did call up Honda North America twice today. The first customer service person told me that there was a Honda option for a muffler for my car, but after some research on the parts databases, it's the oem muffler for the 2002-05 Civic Ex's and has a single exhaust tip. So no, that is not an acceptable option for a muffler replacement. To the second customer service person, I asked her to tell corporate to order a factory run of 100 EP3 mufflers. Then I will buy two of them.

I reminded Honda corporate that Hondas have always been known for longevity. That I kept my EG going for 20 years and I see a lot of good looking EP3 hatches on the road

It's odd to me that it's easier to find parts for my old EG hatch, but for a younger EP3, it's very difficult.

m3nace
02-01-2016, 06:18 PM
welcome brother! and yes the eg/ek chassis parts are everywhere but the ep is harder to find used parts for because they're the black sheep of the family.

tommy
02-02-2016, 08:25 AM
You might want to pick out some parts and selectively hoard them. Like actuators and interior trim pieces. I know that Honda's officially out of driver's side windshield wiper arms (luckily, got one off ebay in good shape), and a couple of other pieces that currently escape my pea-sized brain that I tried to order from Majestic, so panic mode may not be too far down the road.

Anyway, welcome to the fold. I don't really get the muffler fetish, as aftermarket ones can be had that would get you to about the same end point as an all-stock setup, honestly.

Sorry about the EG; yes, it will be hard to make the EP3 its equal in handling, but it can be done with enough patience (and a thick rear sway, wide tires, good rubber, etc...)