PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper confusion

chocker
02-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Hi,

I wanted to change the piston and dust seal on the front caliper. I ordered from a renowned seller and received the parts. I was in the process of changing the dust seal and I found that I have the the rubber boot with the metal retaining ring. I have a 2002 SiR Canadian model. I told this to the seller and he understood it was the wrong part but could not find the correct parts for my car. I looked at the Honda OEM kit and it showed the same parts as I was given. It's really odd. I then go to Rockauto and they had the correct parts for the caliper. I have the original calipers so there was no change. In the Civic service manual which I believe is a general manual for non SiR models shows the correct parts for my car. Can anyone explain this to me and give the correct parts number for the car.

Thanks,

Mark

2004ep3hatch
02-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Hi,

The USDM SI and Canadian SIR have the same front and rear brakes. What Brake parts did he sell you? under what name?

chocker
02-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi,

the company is from the UK on Ebay. It stated that it was for the following : HONDA CIVIC EP3 2.0 TYPE R 2 X FRONT BRAKE CALIPER REBUILD KITS PISTONS BCR008X2

The point is when I look at brake diagrams from US dealers, the kit is the same as the one I was sent from the UK. When I look at older models, I see that they are are same as mine as what I have on my caliper. The EP3 part # for the kit is 01463-S5D-A00 (http://www.hondapartscheap.com/honda/civic-hatchback/01463s5da00/2002-year/si-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/chassis-cat/front-brake-02-03-scat/?part_name=caliper-set-fr) and the kit I need looks like this : 01463-S04-L00
(http://www.hondapartscheap.com/honda/civic-hatchback/01463s04l00/2000-year/dx-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/chassis-cat/front-brake-scat/?part_name=caliper-set-fr)which goes on a 2000 Civic DX.

I've seen used EP3 calipers with the same cast number as mine so I am pretty sure that they are the correct type. It seems very strange to me.

Thanks,

Mark

2004ep3hatch
03-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Well, if its a Type-R specific, they are deff a bigger brake caliper from your 2002. I can tell you that. Did you get it sorted out yet?