PDA

View Full Version : New EP3 Owner

mferbrache
03-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi guys!
This past weekend I picked up a Nighthawk Black 2004 Civic Si with only 29k on it. I'll try to post some photos of it this weekend but I wanted to introduce myself first.

I've been a car guy for a while now but up until this weekend I've been primarily a BMW fan (E30s mostly). I bought the EP3 so I would have something newer (and more efficient) to commute in than my 89 325i. I've always liked the EP3s so it was awesome to find one with such low miles.

Any advice for a new EP3 owner? Any mechanical things I should definitely replace or look out for? I do all the work on my E30 myself (except for really big stuff) and I plan to do most of the work on my Civic as well.

Cheers,
-Matt

soquel1
03-03-2016, 07:30 PM
I did not experience any major problems with my 02 fortunately. You may run into problems with your door actuators but that is if you use keyless entry. Also, on your next oil change use 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 that the manual and oil cap suggest. This is to help prevent an issue with the cams getting scarred. You may also have an issue with the combination switch failing. That one can be potentially dangerous where your headlights can go out without any type of warning. I don't quite remember if the 04-05 models were included in the Honda recall. But if you like you can check for yourself if the terminal on the harness connecting to the combo switch is heating up or not as it is visible. (The plastic actually gets hot enough that it burns). That is all I experienced. Enjoy your car.

Regards

frm_808
03-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Welcome!

The steering rack would make some creaking noise. My car is lowered and havent heard it. Some do, Some dont. I have an 04

2004ep3hatch
03-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Welcome!

29K miles is unheard of. Very nice. Please take a look at all the sub forums and learn about the car.

mferbrache
03-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the advice! I spent this weekend really going through the car and everything seems to be pretty solid. No weird noises or anything. So far, there's only a few little issues I'm trying to work out. One is the factory alarm acting up. Sometimes it'll unlock the doors and sometimes it won't. The other little issue is that the driver's side wing mirror's rubber gasket (where it meets the door) is all torn up. Other than that, everything is great!