PDA

View Full Version : Relatively New Owner

JLop
05-10-2016, 05:20 AM
Good morning all,

I have had this hatch since October. It is my first and I have replaced a lot of components on it so far just to maintain it. It still needs some work because it is my daily driver. When I bought the car, the previous owner had the car way too low for my liking. I was low on money so I installed some raceland coilovers and basically maxed out their ride height. Not a big mistake but I drove through winter with the ride height as high as I could get it. The front ride height is really the problem because it is still too low. I have a shitty driveway and I scrape going up it. Other issues include deteriorating strut mounts, axle seal leak, abs light for abs wheel sensor, srs light for seat belts, check engine light for cats, and needs new front brake pads and rotors. It also grinds third gear if I try to push it too hard and it grinds second gear if I try to push it really hard. There is also some weird stuff going on with the transmission. Everytime I take my foot off the gas the car almost violently jolts at low speeds. So far the work I have done includes replacing the old coilovers, replacing outer tie rod ends, replacing radiator, replacing an abs wheel sensor, replacing a rear wheel bearing, oil changing every 3000 and it is sitting on a set of Sport Edition A10's (16x6.5) wrapped in Yokohama S.Drives. I have replaced a variety of other components like windshield wiper bolt covers (front and back), side mirrors and both front fender liners.

Since the strut mounts are bad, my suspension knocks and I want to install a camber kit for better alignment, I would like to replace the coilovers again with something closer to stock and do it all at once. I was wondering if anyone has the stock suspension or something similar for sale? As for the rest of the problems I think I can deal with them all except for the bad cats. I bought a defouler for the cats. I really want new suspension. Is there anywhere else I can I look? This is my first time wrenching on a a car so I am just trying to learn.

This is my first post and I can't seem to upload an image. Every time I try I get an error saying that the upload failed but it doesn't say why it failed. Any thoughts? Is the file size too large?

Thanks for reading.

tommy
05-10-2016, 06:53 AM
I believe you have to have a certain number of posts before you can do photos here.

Are the engine mounts original? I was thinking of that for your lurching issue. But also sounds like your tranny has some bad juju on its own.

Do a search for the A Spec suspension; it's a good, pretty cheap option, unless you have to have coilovers. And if you need coilovers, then you'll have to go to a more expensive option than Racelands if you want good quailty.

The sensors are a bit worrysome to me; good luck with everything.

JLop
05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Ah, okay. When I search A-Spec suspension, all I find are reviews or a website that sells brands like tein suspension. Is a-spec suspension for a 2004-2008 acura tl? I am not sure about the engine mounts they might not be. I am not entirely sure what was done to the car before me. It has an aftermarket intake and exhaust so clearly somebody got under the car and did some stuff. Thank you for your help.

tommy
05-11-2016, 07:36 AM
It's the RSX A-Spec suspension that works on our cars, with slight modification.

Here's the best thread on the issue:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=705435&highlight=aspec

If I were in your shoes, and for the record, I'm a lousy mechanic, I would take the car to a good indy shop and have them go through everything to hope to identify all of the outstanding issues and their causes. If you're a better mechanic/diagnostician than I, then carry on. :)

Won't you fail in NY with a defouler? I had thought that they had stepped up their procedures recently.

JLop
05-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Okay, i will read that link over. Thank you. So when I first bought the car I had to get it inspected. The check engine light came on just before I arrived at the shop. Fuck. They got it to "pass" with the bad cats but also had to replace the fuse box because there is something in it throwing a code? Whatever. I paid a solid chunk of change. They recommended I try a defouler before I replace the cats. I drove it through winter. Just recently I took it to a honda dealership to do a multi-point inspection. They came back with a list of things to replace and also recommended I try a defouler before I replace the cats. So, maybe New York stepped up procedures? But I get the impression that they don't really look for the defouler unless I tell them about it or something.

2004ep3hatch
05-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum! I have A-Spec on my car and love it. You need the press in EP3 rear lower bushings and for the front, you need RSX-S tie rods. As far the photos, how large are they?

PRODIUS
05-25-2016, 12:31 PM
I had the A-Spec (actually Type-R Springs and Shocks) and it was a great ride that suits the car well. Worry free quality.

JLop
06-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Cool thanks for the replies. I Actually just bought Acura RSX Type S Suspension which should fit right in. I bought them pretty cheap and i can't wait to put them in. The photo size is 4032x3024.