PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my EP3?

Dogger
08-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Hi folks,

I'm new here, but I've had my 2002 Civic SiR for 11 years now.

Now, I have not driven the car in about 2 months, and have not driven a long distance in about 8 months (we got a new car in November).
The car sits in the driveway under a car cover. It has started deteriorating. 2 weeks ago, after not starting it for a month, it no longer starts (turns over, no ignition). It also has a bit of rust, though I have sanded it all off. There is also body damage to the rocker panel caused by driving over a rock which is also starting to corrode. and am going to prime and paint the those areas shortly (before they get worse).

But, now I am moving across the continent (from Ontario Canada to Washington State). Parking is expensive where I will be living, so I will not be able to keep the extra car there.

What shall I do with the car? Should I park it somewhere here in case I come back? It might become a pile of rust. Should I sell it? Is it worth selling an EP3 that doesn't currently run? Should I donate it to the Kidney Foundation? Or sell the parts? Some things are in decent condition.

What do you think?

Mechanic
08-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Several possibilities. Depending upon your car's condition -- mileage, mechanical state, body-damage, condition of the interior -- it could still be a fun car for someone. If you don't want it, your first option is simply to recharge the battery and sell it. That shouldn't be too difficult if it's priced right. The other possibility you mentioned -- parting it out -- won't bring you much, and you'll end up with a hulk sitting in your driveway until you or your neighbors can't stand it any longer, and then you'll have to pay someone to tow it away. Here in the lower 48, you could call around and probably find a high school or trade school that would be delighted to have a car the students might actually enjoy bringing back to life for yet another owner.

MugenReplica
08-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Honestly, having been in the scenario myself......

I just sold both of my Ep3s.....unibody shot on one, and the other had TONS of aftermarket parts........I'd sell.

OR

If you have a connection to the car, I'd start by getting JDM/Euro bumpers, then getting a spare 5 speed transmission.

Reason I say the spare, 5 speed is it's the best bang for buck. Add a 5.062 FD from a JDM/EURO CRV and a 5th gear final drive from the USDM/CDM Accord 4 cylinder. All that aside, just buy a Hondata K20a3 flash after a good "Maint. service VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT". All those above will make the Ep3 a NEW beast and akin to a K20a2/K20z1 swap up unitl you shift.

MugenReplica
08-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Also see......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvwzYR4Be4&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65796-High-Mileage-A3-and-Reflash-Bad-Idea

Hasbro
08-22-2016, 11:39 AM
I love a thread that's both pro K20a3 and pro Reflash!