PDA

View Full Version : Koni on Tire Rack.com

Hatch, Si Hatch
01-21-2003, 12:17 PM
I was surfing around on TireRack's website and decided to see just what they had listed under suspension for our car. To my surprise they had Koni Shocks listed. Follow THIS LINK (http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2003&brand=all&x=6&y=21) to see for yourself.

silver ep
01-21-2003, 12:21 PM
The Konis have to be modded to fit, not worth it IMO

Hatch, Si Hatch
01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Oh...what exactly has to be modified. Is that what it was referring to on the site when it said "Must reuse OE strut housing?"

Hatch, Si Hatch
01-23-2003, 07:23 AM
ttt

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Hatch, Si Hatch
Oh...what exactly has to be modified. Is that what it was referring to on the site when it said "Must reuse OE strut housing?"
yeah, you have to cut something like 40mm from the top of the stock front shock and replace it with the koni....not worth it! There is a couple here that have done it. I think someone up north has konis and blew the front ones like 2-3 times before finally getting it right.

SpeedRacer
01-30-2003, 09:50 PM
well what am i supposed to do all my fucking shocks are blown and i dont want some half ass koni shocks and i dont want to buy new stock shocks do i have any other options

/ and i cant afford tein coilover's or any full coilover kit for that matter.

silver ep
01-30-2003, 10:08 PM
do i have any other options
Speed, as far as I know theres no other options at this time, KYB and Tokico need to step up!

SiCO
01-30-2003, 11:05 PM
I just emailed KYB about the problem a couple of days ago. They have a set of "performence shocks" listed for the EP, but all the pricing and release times are TBA. This is what I got back:

"They will be available in late spring to summer of 2003.
Release date not set."

Not a whole lot of help, but they're on their way.

civic hatch boi
01-30-2003, 11:57 PM
yeah, i called kyb and that's wut they told me. late spring to summer.. that's so gay.. F them hahaha

ColinCivicSiR
01-31-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, you have to cut something like 40mm from the top of the stock front shock and replace it with the koni....not worth it! There is a couple here that have done it. I think someone up north has konis and blew the front ones like 2-3 times before finally getting it right.

I'm that guy up north, I blew two front shocks, but it was because of them being set too stiff and racing them. You do have to cut the strut and use inserts in the front but this is very very common and is even done by car manufacturers/dealers for some of their shocks.

I have sold my car annd the front shocks went with it. If your shocks are blown then using inserts is no big deal because you are gunna have to throw out those anyway even if you replace them with stock parts. The install is very easy I used a very large pipe cutter to cut the old shocks and it worked great........don't use a hacksaw.....it will be very bad.

I have the rear Konis from my car for sale (I turned traitor and bought a MINI cooper) and the sway bar, a RSX-S 19mm rear bar. Check out the classifieds......its alot cheaper than buying new, and with the money you save you are half way to a set of front shocks.

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8000

Glix
01-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Did you lose your ass selling your Si?
I hope you got the cooper S

gpt
01-31-2003, 09:16 AM
ColinCivicSiR you have a PM

ColinCivicSiR
01-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Glix
Did you lose your ass selling your Si?
I hope you got the cooper S

I got 21000 CDN on a trade in, they are selling for 23500 from the dealer, so with how our taxes work here in Alberta 21000 equals more than 23500 on the trade in, and no I didn't get the cooper S.

The primary reason for my car is the autocross and TSD rally, for these things the cooper is a better buy for me. In SOLO II the cooper is faster than the cooper S, the cooper is lighter and has the same suspension. Power does not always help when going throught the cones. The cooper S has very tall gearing and the power is hard to put to the ground so it is slower on a light autocross course.

I will miss my Si-R but I really like the MINI and don't regret the sale