PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 shift much worse today

cbecker333
01-21-2003, 12:39 PM
I think this must be related to temperature, but this morning, shifting from 1-2 was so notchy that I ground the gears :(. I wasn't even forcing it, the stick just hesitated too long before going all the way into gear and my foot was already on its way up.....:mad: :mad:

sonic imperial
01-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I just got back from lunch and I grinded 2nd at least twice. It still does it mine every day, I've just gotten used to it. Doesn't seem to be getting better or worse, just about the same. I can't shift fast at all, any fast shifting results in a grind, guaranteed. The dealer says there's nothing they can do about it but wait until it tears up.

BlairSpeed
01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
when you sit up straight and put the seat up as if you were racing, it seems to put you in a good postion to shift smoothly. when I slouch and cruise around gangsta style, I notice I shift alot worse, but when I sit up straight its much easier. just a thought.
I am just about to hit 4000 miles and I have noticed shifting is slightly smoother then the first 1000 miles, especially reverse.

cbecker333
01-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by sonic imperial
The dealer says there's nothing they can do about it but wait until it tears up.

That sounds like a fun project! :p

cbecker333
01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
I am just about to hit 4000 miles and I have noticed shifting is slightly smoother then the first 1000 miles, especially reverse.

I just turned over 10k (w00t!, sayz trippz)....oh, shit, I gotta post another thread for that...anyway I've got 10k miles and it only seems to be a problem when the car is waaay cold. And its been way cold lately, like today. Shit, I gotta reset my service light, too..screw the dealer! fight the power! check your own fluids, rotate your own tires, and dammit change your own oil. It aint your baby if you don't make it your baby.

glizard
01-22-2003, 04:51 PM
that is bullshit
i think there is a service bulletin about grinding into gears and the syncro's have to be checked or replaced
the dealer sounds like they don't want to do it until they just have to replace the tranny
my guess is the job would take about 12 hours to r&r and overahul the gearbox and the tech will be paid about 6-8 hours
so they would probably just wait to r&r the tranny and screw the rebuild because it is a losing($) job
be persistant and firm but don't take your anger out on the advisor because in the end they can help you
If you get nowhere pmess me and i'll call my honda dealer and get a copy of the bulletin(this bulletin was out in 00/01/02 and applied to civic's and lude's
let us know whart happens

chakra71
01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
i would love to see a copy of the bulletin. My 1-2 shift isn't bad unless i powershift (which i don't do, seems to be just as fast to gently pull into gear) but i would like to know exactly what it says. I'm sure others would like it too so if you get a chance grab a copy of it and post it up.

sonic imperial
01-24-2003, 07:38 AM
I definitely need a copy of that bulletin, thanks for the heads up.

Dunrick
01-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Its called - cold morning......COLD TRANSMISSION - notice how when you hit the freeway it shifts like butter because engines heat up stuff under the hood...."Including" your tranny......

Butter!!!!!!!!!! Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on another note, are you really grinding? or is your shifter just grinding - if you gears are grinding then damn....you need to do something......but if your shifter is just sort of clunky and you arn't really hearing a *GRIND* noise coming from the tranny then no worries

glizard
01-24-2003, 04:17 PM
i checked today thru acura about the shifting problem
the only applicable bulletin i could find is for the rsx/i need to get to honda and run the search their but the rsx bulletin is for the 1-2 gear syncro's/my shifts in the cold am are a little rough but the
sound or rumble into gears is not the syncro's because that would happen under all conditions
probably just cold weather symptom
you can tell by the noise whether or not it is syncro's they really make a metallic grind noise not just the rumble noise
if i can get a copy of the honda version i'll post it