PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal makes funny noise

sonic imperial
01-21-2003, 12:53 PM
It just started today. When I press the clutch pedal down it sounds like a creaking door. It just started today and it ticks me off. Only 8000 miles, what's the deal?

glizard
01-21-2003, 05:34 PM
sounds like the bushings in the pedal assembly are dry.
they just need a little silicone grease or lithium grease
and it should shut right up

Surprise
01-21-2003, 05:43 PM
I think that there was a NHTSA factory service bulletin about a sqeeking peddle. I think it had something to do with the cable. I will try and find it again.

glizard
01-21-2003, 06:00 PM
i'm not positive there is even a short cable to the clutch master, as far as i know the pedal linkage goes directly to the master cylinder thus no cable. the bmw 's 99-01 3"s ans z3's all had noisey clutch pedal's to the point we were just replacing them
and they had naturaly noisey bushing's that the lube would only last a couple of weeks tops.i would definatley check the pedal bushings at the first major pivot point

dchu
01-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Does it sound like it's coming from the tranny? Civics are known for having noisy clutch release forks. Every time you depress the clutch the fork pivots on the pivot bolt which is greased. Overtime the grease wears out or falls off which causes the squeaking. On older civics you could get to the bolt if you have really long fingers or some people used a liquid lubricant spray. I'm not too familiar with the K20 yet so I don't know if its the same. Try looking for a rubber boot in front of the tranny that should have the clutch slave cylinder going into it. If you pull the boot you should be able to see the fork. Feel around for the bolt...I think it has a mushroom head. Again I don't know if it's the same for the k20. My suggestion is to take it to honda and let them monkey with it.

ek9jdmhb
01-21-2003, 06:33 PM
mine makes noise too. im gonna bring to to the dealership because its so annoying

02SilverSiHB
01-21-2003, 07:01 PM
yeah, somewhere on my clutch it makes a damn clicking sound when I press it down. I've been too lazy to go to the dealer

1 fstr si
01-21-2003, 07:46 PM
all three of my pedals squeek. should i take mine in, i only hear it when i REALLY concentrate to see if its still there, but it does it all the time.

ep3
01-21-2003, 11:08 PM
is the noise you guys talking about, a ping or a poing because i get a noise too every time i step on the clutch, but i'm thinking it's my suspension. it's getting to the point where it's becoming very annoying. :mad:

Surprise
01-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Alright I find the NHTSA TSB for the noisy clutch, it states 2001-2002 but I think it still aplicable. NHTSA TSB (http://nhtsa.com/TSBScans/sb629094.pdf)
it is a pdf file.

cazzy
01-22-2003, 12:21 AM
omg! mine started doing that today... it's about the first inch or so of it being put in... I'm right at about 6k miles

ek9jdmhb
01-22-2003, 12:28 AM
so if im too lazy to do the fix myself (which i am) honda will do this for free?

Type X
01-22-2003, 10:57 AM
mine makes that sounds

but when i was installing my mugen pedals i just sprayed some lube like said above and it went away

honestly i think is had to do with

the size of your foot
i find alot of times the dead pedal on the 02-03 si is extremely large and when i move from deal pedal-> clutch i find myself not applying the clutch all the way down BUT in fact just enough to get it from gear to gear

and not direct top to bottom pressure but a kind of slanted pressure which mide put more pressure on the bearings

i am thinking of buying ANOTHER dead pedal and cutting it for

the size 13's

31102si
01-22-2003, 11:07 AM
mine makes the same noise. it probably just needs some lubercation.

sonic imperial
01-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one. For some reason, the problem has gone away after about 2 days of driving. Knock on wood, but if it comes back honda should be able to fix it up. I do experience a click when you release the pedal (right at the top of the release), and that's been there since day 1. Also, I can audibly hear a difference in the way the car sounds in the front end when you push the clutch in when stopped and when you let off the clutch (car in neutral, sitting at a red light). Not sure if that's normal, but it's noticeable.