PDA

View Full Version : exhaust noise, anyone experience?

kenis138
01-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Hey all, since I got my midpipe in, my exhaust has been making a strange noise....no, not the constant hum that its sposed to smartasses....

Seems to be more noticable in cold weather and comes on when Im going at a constant high speed in midrange rpms. Took me a while to find where I heard it from, at first I thought it may be suspension or <gasp!> the dreaded DC Header baffle plate.

Anyway, its coming from the area of the midpipe and sounds almost (and visualize with me here) a very bassy chicken clucking rapidly, very soft, vary passive noise. So, for those of you who dont think Im completely insane, any ideas?

David K.
01-21-2003, 01:43 PM
sounds like you're describing a small exhaust leak. Check your connections. If that doesn't do it, perhaps it's just the natural exhaust pulse you're hearing. Is your midpipe custom made or from a company? Mandrel bent or crush bent? Resonator or no resonator?

glizard
01-21-2003, 05:38 PM
i agree,it sounds like it could be an exhaust leak that will happen w/a temperature change.again it would help if we knew what kind of system was on to determine possible noises/does the mid pipe have dual wall construction/i've seen alot of b-pipe's w/dual walls rub each other and create a very bassy vibration type noise
advise

kenis138
01-22-2003, 12:39 PM
It is a custom pipe, crush bent I believe, no resonator, not sure about the dual walls

I checked for leaks already and there does not appear to be any