PDA

View Full Version : Oil Weight and High altitude questions

Coralian
07-22-2017, 11:51 PM
Live in Colorado (Denver)
In previous cars I've had I've used different oil weights in the winter.

This forum has a mixed bag of suggestions, but what it appears that honda actually started using 5W-30 and not 20 in the ep3 and it seemed to resolve a host of engine complaints/issues. I've read they were basically using 5-20 to cash in on some rebates from the Murrica govt for fuel mileage.

My first oil change is coming up. I am a driver who tends to get on it a lot and i do a ton of city driving (short sprints light to light, short highway trips etc) I find myself in the 4K+RPM zone a lot.
What oil do you guys recommend i use? And I know that the VTEC tends to lose some oil over time so I make sure to check it every gas stop.
I've also seen a ton of people suggest the pennzoil platinum for oil changes. Should I be using the Pennzoil platinum 5W-30?
Also, any tips for winter oil weight usage?
Finally, what brand of oil filters are you guys running? I generally buy my filters at Vato-zone/advance auto etc.

Also, wtf is this dipstick? I assume the top hole is the fill line and I need to just keep the oil in between those holes, but they really should label that for casual drivers.

Also New to the site so cheers!

usedep3
07-25-2017, 10:24 AM
2 holes are min and max. you want to be somewhere in the middle. if the top hole is covered in oil when you;re checking, you may have overfilled.