PDA

View Full Version : K&N Typhoon air intake installed

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 06:57 PM
I installed it today (it was easy & took about 45 minutes) & the Type-R engine cover, check it out:

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Image #2

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Image #3

Busta J
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
Performance????!! So how is it?? Low End? High End? Sound? Need details please!

Any Answers would be greatly appreciated as I might get one of these thing-a-ma-gigs. :D

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
BTW, it runs and sounds great! I feel more high end power...it kicks in/screams around 4750 RPM or less depending on the gear. It makes for slightly faster shifting.

I love it! :D

02SilverSiHB
07-23-2002, 09:01 PM
so how much was it?

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Go to this thread for info on a great deal on the Typhoon (same place I got mine):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=718

stingyboy
07-23-2002, 10:46 PM
looks great man!! i also installed mine this evening. i got the silver one. everything was going fine until i tried to jam the air temp. thing into the side of the k&n tube, then guess what, i pushed the rubber grommit into the tube and then had to undo the clamps and the holding bolt to get it out. Grrrrrrr.... :mad:

so i installed twice! :p

btw, for those of you with one on the way, a little dish soap will make those clamps slide on a bit easier! why k&n didn't give you a little more lee way is beyond me. those things are tight!

the sound is like if you keep your mouth closed and make the race car sound with your throat.

okay, you're back. and you tried the sound i assume. it sounds like that after about 4000 rpm. down low on the tach it sounds nearly stock. performance, eh, whatever. i'll give it a slight butt-dyno increase but not much really. that's my opinion, of course. but i know the intake is only one piece of the air management system....next, headers, then exhaust.

my car will be so happy when it can inhale and exhale properly.

last thing, be sure to have your radio code handy, because after you disconnect the negative battery terminal it won't work anymore.

HondaMan
07-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I almost did that with my air temp. sensor as well...just slowly ease it on folks to the point it is about to cave/fall in. Yeah, I still haven't got my radio code plugged back in...HeHe!

Stingyboy, posts some pics of your silver pipe. Yeah, it's not a big increase in power but sounds more powerful at least. :) I can't wait to do some exhaust stuff myself.

Happy Revving! :D

stingyboy
07-24-2002, 01:34 PM
no digicam at the moment for pics of my silver. however, you can see the silver one on another car in the other K&N thread. it's the same, right down to the blue sleeve at the manifold intake.

headers are next on my list, but there aren't many choices yet, are there?

Busta J
07-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Have any of you with the K&N noticed any power gains/losses at lower rpm levels?

stingyboy
07-24-2002, 05:46 PM
at low rpm range i think it's almost identical to stock. about a 2-3 gain in torque between 4000-6000 rpm i believe.

for slightly bigger gains from air induction, i think you'd have to go to a cold air set-up, and i'm just not the type of person to risk water in the engine (even though the chances are very low, i know).

Hondatech
07-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Can't really tell from the pic, but is the intake tube on the Typhoon the same diameter as the throttle body, or is it bigger, and uses a "funnel" shaped silicone boot to connect to the T/B?

HondaMan
07-24-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Hondatech
Can't really tell from the pic, but is the intake tube on the Typhoon the same diameter as the throttle body, or is it bigger, and uses a "funnel" shaped silicone boot to connect to the T/B?

The intake tube appears to be the same diameter as the T/B and the silicone boot doesn't have "funnel" shape; it's just a straight boot connection. I hope that helps. :)

MoodySi
07-29-2002, 10:37 AM
I installed mine over the weekend and it looks and sounds beautiful! Not loud until you really stomp it. Totally awesome!!!!

HondaMan
07-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by MoodySi
I installed mine over the weekend and it looks and sounds beautiful! Not loud until you really stomp it. Totally awesome!!!!

Congrats! I smile inside every time I stomp the gas and hear it roar/scream! :D

esmith13
08-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Installed my polished chrome K&N Typhoon the other day.

I agree the sound is great over 4000rpm and it does almost sound stock at low rpm's.

I'm not sure how much overall performance gain or HP you get, but it does 'feel' like the car is breathing better now.

Best example I have is when I used to crawl in gridlock at 5mph in 1st gear, it always felt like an effort to get the car to move (like gas it or stall it!). With the K&N installed I can ride it all the way down and it dosen't feel like the engine is underpowered or about to stall anymore.

Just my opinion, but keep in mind this is the first stick I have owned... Drove many here and there, but this is MY first.

(I'm anxious to hear it after my Thermal R&D Cat-Back gets added too!!)