PDA

View Full Version : K20A3 Replacement Cylinder Head

platytude
01-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Hi all!

So unfortunately my little k20a3 gave up the ghost the other week, and it's looking like there was valve/head damage. The motor itself only had about 150,000km on it, so it should still be good to go for a long while yet, but it's looking like I'm going to need to replace the head.

Ideally I'd just put another a3 head back on, but I've been having trouble finding them locally, so I started looking at some alternatives in case I end up being unable to get one.

Will other K-series heads work on the A3 block without a new ecu/lots of mods? I'm not looking to make any more power than I had before, just to get her up and running again. Also if anyone in Ontario has an unused head that they'd like to sell me I'd be very grateful haha.

Thanks! And apologies if there's a duplicate thread with this question, I couldn't find any.

Rezurexun
01-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear about what happened. You can scour local yards to see if they have a k20a3 head available. Any base RSX non type S should have same k20a3. How did the damage happen? Valve lash adjusted too far? Details pls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

platytude
01-11-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm still not sure 100% what went wrong, but the engine started misfiring badly on my way home a couple of weeks ago, lost a cylinder, and completely destroyed a spark plug/ignition coil (the plug was physically broken in half, and the ground electrode was bent upwards into the body, and the ignition coil had clearly caught fire).
Plug threads also got destroyed so I had to re-tap and put an insert in. It fires up now, but still only on 3 cylinders, and it's still ticking/misfiring.

I actually found a replacement engine for quite cheap, so it looks like I'll just be swapping that in instead.

Still not 100% sure what the issue is, maybe a burnt valve, maybe the thread insert nicked one of the valve seats, maybe debris from the plug/ignition coil blowout damaged a valve. I'd like to get the head off to see at some point, but that'll be easier when the engine's out of the car.

brteddy
03-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Where did you get your replacement engine? May I know the cost?