PDA

View Full Version : jrsc for the ep

jdm03ep
01-22-2003, 01:54 AM
what do you guys think about a jrsc for our ep(i know its not out yet)? are yo going to buy it? have you had it on a car before this one, and how did you like it?

oh ya and do they make a sound or do they run silent because some guy told me thats what he had on an integra(jrsc) and it sounded like little jet

Vivid_Motion
01-22-2003, 04:30 AM
http://ephatch.com/forum/search.php?s=Array%5Bsessionhash%5D%22%3E%3C

Click above or copy and paste.

Craig

PS I have a S/C and it does sound like a jet.

02SilverSiHB
01-22-2003, 05:12 AM
I sometimes think about going with JRSC and just keeping it at 6lbs of boost. I don't think I want to boost this car too much, so I won't go turbo and just keep it simple with a JRSC

31102si
01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I agree 02silver. I plan on keeping my car a very long time.

rhs29
01-25-2003, 11:08 PM
the jackson racing sc is too expensive for only about a 40% power increase and a mild torque increase...plus the jrsc only has a limited potential ( only about 7psi to 8psi).....i do recommend turbo, because nothing beats boost!...

02SilverSiHB
01-26-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by rhs29
the jackson racing sc is too expensive for only about a 40% power increase and a mild torque increase...plus the jrsc only has a limited potential ( only about 7psi to 8psi).....i do recommend turbo, because nothing beats boost!...
you know I was just talking to a friend of mine, that has been doing some research on supercharger versus turbo...he says that the JRSC actually puts more stress on a engine versus a 7psi turbo :o

Tekdemon
01-26-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

you know I was just talking to a friend of mine, that has been doing some research on supercharger versus turbo...he says that the JRSC actually puts more stress on a engine versus a 7psi turbo :o
At the same psi a supercharger *should* induce more stress over time...
=(

But people boost turbos like nuts though =P so the reliability drops quite a bit with people running 20 psi lol

02SilverSiHB
01-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Tekdemon

At the same psi a supercharger *should* induce more stress over time...
=(

But people boost turbos like nuts though =P so the reliability drops quite a bit with people running 20 psi lol
yeah :) 20psi will definitely do it

rhs29
01-27-2003, 04:38 PM
since a supercharger is belt driven the turbo compressor runs at the same speed and it doesn't shut off , so the engine gets more stress in the long run.....on the otherhand, turbo usually shuts off about 6000rpm-6500rpm depending on the set up...so hypothetically turbo should not damage the engine if boost is kept at moderate levels ( 7-9 psi )....but of course once the psi levels reach 12-20, the risk is much higher then just engine reliabilty... still i am going with a turbo setup for my car, the risk is worth it!

IceD out N CALI
01-28-2003, 09:51 PM
i am going with a turbo setup for my car, the risk is worth it!

thats a good way to look at it:D

as far as the JRSC, i'll wait to see how it does on someone else's ep to get a good idea of whelther it is worth it or not. :)

CSMsi311
02-20-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by rhs29
i do recommend turbo, because nothing beats boost!...

you do know boost from a supercharger is the same as boost from a turbocharger. At small boost pressures superchargers tend to have lower air temperatures than turbos. As boost level increases supercharger's thermal efficiency will decrease drastically. A turbo's thermal efficiency will not decrease as severly and the bonus is that you can easily add a intercooler to bring down the air temperatures.

I don't know where you got the idea that a turbo can turn off at a given rpm. Unless you mean when the throttle is shut the wastegate is opened the boost level "by-passes" the engine. A supercharger is always spinning, but the air it is compressing is not always going to the engine.

S2KplusSI
02-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know what the JRSC will cost(roughly)?

dustinhurley
02-20-2003, 07:16 PM
$3,500

S2KplusSI
02-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Thank you!

fsugatorbait
02-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Just emailed JR and here's their response:

The supercharger will be released in April. At this time, that is all the information I have.

Regards,

Jim Watts
Jackson Racing Sales
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(800) 689-9306
(805) 692-2523 - Fax

JruSi02
03-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Hmm... my b-day is in april... wonder if I should get it for myself or go with turbo... oh well I've got a month to decide.

rhs29
03-07-2003, 09:47 PM
CSMsi311...i don't agree with you, because the boosts are NOT the same.... a turbo system relys on exhaust gases to turn the turbine wheel, then air from the atmosphere is induced into the compressor...then the air is moved into the intercooler to be charged, then it is crammed into the intake ( throttle body)... a roots type supercharger ( like the jrsc ) relys on the engine belt system to increase airflow into the intake ports...and most root type of superchargers is not intercooled because there is no reason to charge the air or cool the air if the air is not hot.... but, there is a supercharger that is more like both turbo and roots type.... the centerfugial supercharger ( vortech supercharger) , has the compressor side of the turbo housing, but not the turbine housing...on the centerfugial system, the turbine housing has been replaced with a belt driven system...and the system does have its own version of an intercooler however a front mount intercooler can be installed...
SO, its not the same because the source of the power is different...

CSMsi311
03-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Boost for an engine is loosely defined to be an increased AIR FLOW beyond the amount of air an engine can normally intake. When the supercharger/turbo forces more air into the engine than it can take it builds up the pressure (boost) in the intake manifold. Therefore, in my definition boost is the same whether it comes from a supercharger or turbocharger. As you stated above very nicely for newbies, the means by which the boost is created is different this explains the differences in power bands (compressor efficiency, parasitic drag...)

The way you make boost is different, but both the supercharger and turbo will force more air into the engine than it would have gotten normally aspirated.

Two excellent books for reading up on turbos and s/c are "Maximum Boost" (for turbos) and "Supercharged!" by Corky Bell. They are written like you are having a conversation with the author. I've only read Superchargers and I highly recommend it. After reading the book, I felt very disappointed with my jrsc in terms of its compressor efficiency compared to a turbocharger.

I hope this clears up some earlier confusion
Jason

ssvr6
03-13-2003, 06:11 AM
It's also common knowledge that a roots based blower is less efficient than a centrifigal unitl. That's why Vortech makes WAY more power with their '00 Si kit compared to JRSC.

Steve

CSMsi311
03-15-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
It's also common knowledge that a roots based blower is less efficient than a centrifigal unitl. That's why Vortech makes WAY more power with their '00 Si kit compared to JRSC.

Steve

yes, that is (or should be) common knowledge. Why would you want a Vortech. It's just a turbo on a stick. You still have the drag associated with a supercharger. If I remember right, a vortech NOT "aftercooled" at 6 psi was making only a minimal amount more than a jrsc at 6. The big difference comes when you crank up the boost and but on the "aftercooler" for the vortech.

I see where I think I miss interrepted you earlier. You said you like boost. I took that as you like turbos b/c they make boost. But I now see that I think you meant that turbos make more boost, more efficiently.

Jason

Djmamayek
03-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by CSMsi311

I don't know where you got the idea that a turbo can turn off at a given rpm. Unless you mean when the throttle is shut the wastegate is opened the boost level "by-passes" the engine. A supercharger is always spinning, but the air it is compressing is not always going to the engine.

DONT GIVE PEOPLE MISINFORMATION!!!!

A turbocharger does not shut off at a set RPM, HOWEVER, the wastegate opens at a certain boost level, and allows some exhaust gasses to bypass the turbo altogether. Keeping the maximum boost level constant, so in effect the turbocharger is "shut off" in a very abstract sense. When you close the throttle, the air that has already been compressed by the turbo is released from the intake manifold, ic, and piping by the blow off valve, or compressor bypass valve. The wastegate stays closed when you chop the throttle.

Also an intercooler has nothing to do with "charging" the air, all it does is take the air charge after leaving the turbo and cool it down, because when you compress air it gets warm (obviously).

CSMsi311
03-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Djmamayek

DONT GIVE PEOPLE MISINFORMATION!!!!

i didn't realize I was misinforming people. If you read what I wrote I said that I did not understand what the other guy meant by a turbo could "turn off" What you said was what I was trying to get across