PDA

View Full Version : Aerodyne Aerocharger Turbos

Tekdemon
01-22-2003, 03:43 AM
From what I understand these turbos are some kind of VATN turbo that varies the area in the turbo to reduce turbo lag and allow a smoother power curve.

I went looking for a Civic kit with one and there don't seem to be any except from some tuning shop in Canada that said they have a kit but no details and it's for older Civics from what I can tell.

Anybody know why these aren't more popular?

swampdonkey
01-22-2003, 12:54 PM
these turbo vary the veines in the compressor wheel to increase or decreas resistance on the impellar. They get smaller to allow faster spool and then as top end is required they open up to allow more flow. They are complicated turbos and I think they are a little overrated. SCC had a project MR2 where they used one and they said it was better than the HKS turbo they had been using but was not nearly as good as the turbonetics turbo with ceramic ball bearings that they switched to.

Tekdemon
01-23-2003, 03:40 AM
really? I've read "Maximum Boost" well ok parts of it, and the section on VATN's had me drooling =P

But regardless of maximum boost level...do these provide boost faster(less lag) than a turbonetics unit? I figure the VATN idea should let it spool with a LOT less lag!

swampdonkey
01-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't say they are overrated. The one tested by SCC did not spool as quickly as the turbonectics turbo. It was no ordinary turbo however. It was a CERAMIC ball bearing center section turbo The ceramic bearings alow it to spool VERY easily. it made 10PSI below 2000rpm. The bearings also are 50 times more resistant to compressor surge than a regular ball bearing design. I know that VATN's are great but if I was choosing and I had that kind of money I would go with a ceramic ball bearing turbo. I doubt that I will ever be in the position to buy a turbo (thats right JUST the turbo) for $2000.