PDA

View Full Version : NEW Tires UPDATE:

BlasTech
01-22-2003, 12:55 PM
SO, JSIR, are you still happy with the Yoke AVS ES 100s??

Have you got to push them any?
How about rain traction?

Im still considering them or the 712s. I want a daily-driver tire with treadwear of at least 280 but the best wet and dry traction I can get. Snow is not a concern, since I live in Austin, and would stay home if it ever iced here. I might auto-x a few times, but mostly for fun, against myself, but not as a career or anything. (I'd never take the car to a drag strip either)

Anyone have any other reports on thier new daily driver tires?

JSIR
01-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I love these tires, I have pushed them hard on the street and they handle very nicely, hard to say anything about wet traction, they certainly aren't bad in the wet, as the center channels were specifically designed for that purpose. Very happy with the purchase, the tread compound is stickier than the Khumos, and the contact patch seems a bit wider too. They have a good ride, quiet tires, decent sidewall stiffness, and they look good to boot. Hard to beat for the relatively low cost. My deciding factor in taking them over the Khumo 712's was that the tread compound on the new Yokes is just more modern, higher tech if you will. They are now able to make tires that are more grippy, with good treadwear using newer silica tread compounds.

Surprise
01-22-2003, 08:54 PM
How long have you had the tires, do they seem to be wearing well? How long do you think they will last? How are the breakaway characteristics?

JSIR
01-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
How long have you had the tires, do they seem to be wearing well? How long do you think they will last? How are the breakaway characteristics?

these tires seem very predictable, I pushed the car as hard as I could through a 90 degree corner and the car just darted to where I wanted to go, so I haven't been able to get them to break at all. Basically driving as hard as I want and I can't get them to slip or squeal.

Treadwear is hard to say, they still have the little nibs on them in some areas so they aren't wearing out too fast, I haven't put too many miles on them in daily driving. They come with a 280 treadwear, treadwear numbers are hard to compare, but they are reported to last longer than previous yokes thanks to the new tread compound.

dchu
01-23-2003, 12:45 AM
I've had these tires on my old civic too and they're awesome. They have great dry grip and IMO better then kumhos. When they break loose it's very gradual and they have a very low pitch squeal. I haven't driven them in heavy rain because I don't have the car anymore but my bro raves about them in the rain (he has the car). He's told me how they cut through deep standing puddles without a flinch, whereas other tires tend to yank to one side. IMO it's one of the best all-around street tires (noise, grip, price, life).

BlasTech
01-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the input, guys!

PoRT
01-23-2003, 09:54 AM
i have them... but mine break and slide all the time. im not too impressed with them.if i am turning and on the gas.. tire spin.. if i am cornering hard, and on the gas just a little bit.. tire spin. i dont have much camber really at all, if any. maybe they need more tim eto wear in.. i dunno. they havnt been on a month yet (almost) but they have over 1k miles on them.. i guess ill see in time.

BlasTech
01-23-2003, 10:41 AM
hmmm. thats interesting.

Im also wondering about the Kumho's--> is there a different 712 variant that has a longer treadwear? I wonder if that skews the billions of reviews on the tires, since some would report better life, while others would report better grip, talking about different tires, but in the same survey.

chet
01-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I have heard bad things about Kuhmo. From a guy who does some import stuff here in my hometown. They wear too quickly . sometimes can't get more than 22 maybe 25 thousand miles out of them. I guess it all depends on how much you spend. check out the Toyo Proxes ZR4's if you want good dailys.