PDA

View Full Version : I think Type R odds just improved...

Mr Sparkle
01-22-2003, 03:40 PM
This may seem like a long shot.
Over at vtec.net there is discussion about the Acura brand being started up in japan. They have a link on the japanese honda site that takes you to a page that describes a new luxery and there is an Acura on it. Their is debate whether that is evidence that Honda is truly starting the brand in their country.
I believe so.
Not many are going to agree with me, but I'm gonna spit this out anyways. There is a part of me that believes cars that are only offered in Europe/Asia, drive the sales of the lesser models available in the States and Canada (God Bless Canada)
I always felt that that when people have the best, they look for something better. If we had Honda's best, we would try another company. By not offering us vehicles, there is a part of us that thinks Hondas as amazing and we dream about the cars overseas and what we could have.
I have probably lost most already in this bit of nonsense I'm sure. But get this...if they start the Acura brand over there, they can build the next models up in the sport/racing cars under the Acura name, and then offer us the Honda models over here while we will still secretly want and crave the new and better Acura models.
Sounds crazy I know, and I am not a marketing person so I may be way off and the only one who believes this.
Some will say but the Honda R models will affect the Acura sales over here yadda yadda...and that is correct. I also see people stating that the market here is not ready for the vehicles offered in other countries. That true is possible correct, but nevertheless I stand by my post.

Flame away

!@#$%
01-22-2003, 04:01 PM
eh....sure would be nice if u happened to be right :)

snubnose
01-22-2003, 04:30 PM
I think this is an interesting thought. There is still that unattainable Type R that keeps us dreaming of the Honda we can't have.

If we had it now, we would possibly be dreaming of the next step up in another brand of car.

iR-VTEC2
01-22-2003, 08:09 PM
They're only thinking of using the name "acura" for cars they already got under "honda" that we still can't have!

The japanese way of thinking is COMPLETELY different...than any western society. You'd have to live there to understand. It is not only backwards...it's inside out!

Take for example....

When the usa blew the shit out of them in WW2, they surrendered. You know what they told their people? That they surrendered because it was unethical to bomb Pearl Harbor on a SUNDAY. They said it was their "mistake" to bomb the usa on a sunday and it is against the "rules of war". Not because they were about to be bombed like a muthafucka.

It is a matter of pride and honor..and it runs very very deeply with japanese people.

Especially with cars. We will probably never have the best stuff. And it is not always their fault. The usa has many stipulations which prevent the export of such fantastic vehicles. Thinks like structural rigidity, airbags, bumper ratings, etc, all have to be taken into consideration when a japan company wishes to export a car to the us.

OR im just trippin! I do that!

IceD out N CALI
01-22-2003, 08:16 PM
it is a nice thought but doubt it will happen, but we can always dream that honda would. honda is becoming more and more environmental. the good thing is if that DNX makes it outta the concept stages, we'd have a fast environmental friendly sports car:)

Glix
01-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda has never been about being the fastest and that is true of both their automobile and motorcycle lines. Honda cannot compete in the current U.S. Market for 2003 - 2004, and that is true of Acura as well. Subaru, Mitsubishi and Dodge are in the biggest HP vs Cost race of all time and Honda / Acura obviously has no intentions of competing in that market, not now and probably not ever. Think about it, even the NSX is slow compared to the STi, SRT-4 and Evo VIII (which are all here come march-april).

Honda is making the mistake that Mazda made some 5 years ago. They are offering vanilla products that meet the needs of a very broad market. While the rest of the automotive industry is stepping up above and beyond where they have ever been before (in the us market).

If Honda had brought the Type R over instead of the Si they would still be in the same boat and I honestly believe that is why we don't have it. They are a very smart company and they knew all to well that the sport compact market was about to explode. I really cannot bring myself to believe that they just didn't see it coming. On the other hand I believe they decided to bow out and let the rest of the manufacturers beat themselves to death over us, the potential buyer of these cars.

I hate SCC as a magazine but they did get one thing right.
What worked 5 years ago will not work in todays market. It's step up or bow out and Honda has obviously chosen to bow out.

Sorry for the book

Will2K2
01-22-2003, 08:49 PM
BTW

Lots of cars that we have as Acuras are called Hondas in Japan

Just like the Teg is the Honda Integra, and all the Acuras that we have are sold there as Honda's, so seeing something that you know as an Acura doesn't necessarily mean that they will change the name to Acura from Honda

Even the NSX is called the HONDA NSX

W

napapacoda
01-22-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2

Take for example....

When the usa blew the shit out of them in WW2, they surrendered. You know what they told their people? That they surrendered because it was unethical to bomb Pearl Harbor on a SUNDAY. They said it was their "mistake" to bomb the usa on a sunday and it is against the "rules of war". Not because they were about to be bombed like a muthafucka.

It is a matter of pride and honor..and it runs very very deeply with japanese people.

OR im just trippin! I do that!

LOL, ok, they can say anything they want about making excuses, we fu*ked them up...bottom line