PDA

View Full Version : For Canadians who ship to Hondata - READ!!!!!!

myeverlovinsir
01-22-2003, 04:58 PM
This is as close to real time reporting as it gets. I know this was posted elsewhere but feel it has alot of merit on its own.

Let me start by saying that shipping to Hondata from Canada is a lot of hoop jumping.

What is required in addition to the standard forms for Fedex:

1. The EIN number of Hondata. This needs to be provided by Hondata. I will post it when I find out what that exact number is but EIN stands for Employer ID number and is the equivalent of a Federal (US) tax number. Hondata was able to finally track this down for me. (15 min later - number is 95-4872707)

2. A TIB (Temporary in Bond) letter that provides info such as the recipients name, company, date and signature. This item must be faxed to the customs agent. A really meanial form but is crutial when it comes to customs.

3. A copy of an invoice from Hondata. Unbelievable but there is more info required from Hondata than the sender. They need to fax this also to the customs agent.

4. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) form 740. This can be filled out by yourself and I won't go into to the details but it can be tricky if you don't have a customs agent to guide you through it! I have done it, so hit me up if your gonna do the hondata thing.

My ECU has been held until all of the above could be provided. I finally got it all sorted out, and played alot of phone tag, with 3 individuals in order to get to the powers that be. I don't want to rant too much, but hell I never thought it was going to be so tedious. Havier at hondata along with help from co-workers finally got the info required, seeing as Doug was gone for the day. Thanks guys. I should know in the next 20 min. if my ECU gets released from the Memphis customs. The Memphis sort station is the central hub for all shipments in and out of the US in NA. The overseas hub is in Jersy I believe. Technically this item should have never gotten on the plane in T.O. and someone in FedEX will catch shit for it. I mean, who knows what may have been in that box???? Hopefully this only costs me one additional day. The trip back to Canada should be rudimentary seeing as the requirements should be met at this point. Canadian customs will likely need the reciprical info on the way back from Hondata. A hell of alot of paperwork from both ends is required and I hope this post helps other Canadians when they try this. To me it is invaluable info guys and hondata may need to include these requirements on their website when shipping from/to Canada.

Later: (15 min)
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Customs has approved :D :D All the paperwork is in order. Havier (sp? Javier) at Hondata, forgive me but the customs agent asked what your title was, and I said "Electronics Technician" hehe. :angel:

SiRman
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Sucks to hear you had so much trouble.:(
But thanks for the heads up info.:)

Did you send directly to Hondata?
Maybe less hasle if you go through a dealer? Just a thought.

myeverlovinsir
01-22-2003, 07:06 PM
After reading my post again, I guess I did not mention that I DID go through a hondata dealer. Believe me, no hondata dealer in Canada would be prepared for this, seeing as I am the first to do it and US customs is a very grey playing field at best.

Edit: Hondata does not accept ECUs directly, they must go thru a dealer first.

hth

SiRman
01-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Edit: Hondata does not accept ECUs directly, they must go thru a dealer first.

I am aware that you have to go through a hondata dealer.
I thought maybe you sent it directly to them since you were in
direct correspondence with Hondata.

Hopefully Hondata will send a memo to CAN. dealers and revise
their Canadian order forms to smooth out the process for future
customers.

Thanks for being the one to go through the hassle to figure all this out for the rest of us.:)

SmoothOperator
01-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Glen, So is there any point in having your midpipe and CAI now?
From what I understand. They'll serve no purpose with the hondata flash.

Will2K2
01-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Or you could do like I do and drive 45 mins to the border and send it from NY state and then send it back to your P.O. Box (like I have)

That way you don't have to deal with all that bull crap.

:p

myeverlovinsir
01-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Will2K2
Or you could do like I do and drive 45 mins to the border and send it from NY state and then send it back to your P.O. Box (like I have)

That way you don't have to deal with all that bull crap.

:p

Will, did you meet up with a specific dealer in N.Y? That's not a bad idea. It's gonna be back soon, so I think others would consider this as well. When do you expect to have yours back?

myeverlovinsir
01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
Glen, So is there any point in having your midpipe and CAI now?
From what I understand. They'll serve no purpose with the hondata flash.

Rob, the CAI is probably the single most crutial mod with or without the flash. And my dyno runs will be with all my mods, just to determine if the flash shows any improvements over what I currently have.

Jpax
01-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Why not drive to Seattle and have me do it for yea. ;)

Thats alot of hoops. to go through.

gpt
01-22-2003, 10:31 PM
What a lot of effort! It seems crazy we have to go through all that!

Will2K2
01-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

Will, did you meet up with a specific dealer in N.Y? That's not a bad idea. It's gonna be back soon, so I think others would consider this as well. When do you expect to have yours back?

Haven't sent it yet, but I have scouted a couple of dealers in the Northeast to send to.

I've had a P.O box in Ogdensburg for a while now, this way when I ship or order something from the U.S. I just go there and do it.

In fact, today I am going to the Mailbox to pick up some art that I ordered from Ohio.

I'll let you know once I've done it (how it all went)

W

myeverlovinsir
01-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Will2K2

Haven't sent it yet, but I have scouted a couple of dealers in the Northeast to send to.

I've had a P.O box in Ogdensburg for a while now, this way when I ship or order something from the U.S. I just go there and do it.

In fact, today I am going to the Mailbox to pick up some art that I ordered from Ohio.

I'll let you know once I've done it (how it all went)

W

Man that brings back memories, Ogdensburg, that is one small hick town, but the first one accross fm hwy 16. I grew up in Ottawa and remember when it was only 2 lanes. Good luck.:cool:

myeverlovinsir
01-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Why not drive to Seattle and have me do it for yea. ;)

Thats alot of hoops. to go through.

Too late, far and time consuming, but thanks for the offer PaXiE.;)