PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about the Spoon Progressive springs?

anjapower
01-22-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm thinking of getting these for my car. I don't want to "slam" my car, but I would like a mild lowering, say maybe an inch...

Anyone used these on an Si? How big was the drop? I think one can use these with stock shocks, as the ride height isn't altered that greatly, but I just want to double check.

SiRman
01-22-2003, 09:04 PM
I was also wondering about these springs.
Anyone have them on their EP?

SilverEP
01-23-2003, 12:57 AM
They are made to only work with stock shocks. I had a friend that had them on his Si 99-00 and he had them set up with Koni yellows and they blew the Koni's. he put them with his stock shocks and it actually rode better and they have yet to blow. From what i hear the Spoons for the EP are supposed to be about a 1.75" drop!!!!

Suk02Si
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
i think they lower the type r 25mm. The type r is already 19mm lower than us, so if we were to use it it could lower us up to 44mm which is just about 1.75" like SilverEP said.

potator
03-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok, so lets get some things cleared up. Exactly what is the drop for the USDM Si? I've seen all sorts of numbers, 1", 1.5", 1.75". What's the real one? And is the drop the same for the front and the rear? I also heard that these springs are made to be used with stock shocks, and does not suggest a camber kit. Please somebody clear this up for me.

Low Rider
03-19-2004, 09:13 PM
The exact drop, according to Spoon, is 25mm! ;)

KingGreg86
03-19-2004, 09:20 PM
camber req??
better with stock shocks??

if this is correct...im in!

estebones
03-19-2004, 09:23 PM
nut shit at 300 beans!!! they better use the stock shocks.
Im a bit interested as well.
so any more info?

potator
03-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
The exact drop, according to Spoon, is 25mm! ;)

Can you tell me what that is in the standard inches? And are you sure that measurement is for the USDM Si, and not the foreign Type-R's?

DarkSiRacer
03-20-2004, 12:11 AM
its like .98 inches basically an inch... the places i've checked just say for the EP chassis so i figure it will work for all.

Anyone know how the spring rates compare against the Eibach ProKit which also has a 1" drop? Is the ride the same or are the spoons stiffer?

Chinaboy
03-20-2004, 03:09 AM
well... only one person I know run these springs.... I forgot who it was but it was another spoon enthusaist on the board in Canada... I juss ordered mine and are comming in two weeks time. Its supposed to work with two type of shocks...

STOCK & Spoon unadjustable dampers

Ride height is think supposed 1.75 and rides like stock but when you go in the corners, you can feel the difference. That is what my spoon dealer told me.

I am planning to work the springs with the spoon unadjustable dampers... but no word yet on those... so im hoping to get some good results using the stock dampers for atleast when they are availible to us... in the latest catalouge from Spoon, they do list the part... so its prolly in R&D rightnow still.

However, if they don't work well... imma throw up because I paid 330 out the door for these springs... but then again it is spoon?

Chinaboy
03-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by potator
Can you tell me what that is in the standard inches? And are you sure that measurement is for the USDM Si, and not the foreign Type-R's?

it should be CTR number measurements... the parts that spoon are making are for the CTR not USDM si. The CTR is all R&D has to work with in Japan as for EP3 I belive... but regardless the chassis is the same so the part is compatable... but numberwise, 1.75 drop is what we are looking at I believe.

Chinaboy
03-20-2004, 03:12 AM
actually... SIRMAN... wern't u the one who had the Spoon Progessive springs?

Low Rider
03-20-2004, 05:24 AM
You could always fit the Spoon coils with the HFP springs. I think that would be an excellent setup. ;) I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for the Spoon dampers.

I think the Spoon will be similar to the Eibach Pro-Kits in both drop and performance. :D

potator
03-20-2004, 11:44 AM
A 1.75 drop for our Si's then? That sounds pretty good. And what's the fact that it is made to work fine with our stock shocks is also a very positivie aspect, BUT, are you sure this information is correct? And that you didn't misheard Spoon saying it will work fine with the stock CTR shocks? And what's this talk about not needing a camber kit? How's that work? the drop isn't below like 1.5 so I'm guessing it should need one...

Chinaboy
03-20-2004, 03:46 PM
it will work with stock suspension.

toda_power
03-21-2004, 01:39 AM
how much are they anyway? im getting rid of my teins s-tech.

potator
03-21-2004, 01:55 AM
I understand that, but I just want to know if these springs were actually made with the CTR in mind or the Si? My guess is that they were just made for the EP3 chassis in general, but some things like the shocks are different on the two cars, no? So if they say it will work fine with the stock shocks and suspension, do they mean it will work fine with the stock CTR shocks & suspension, or the stock Si shocks & suspension?

And another question, how do these springs work that they don't require or suggest a camber kit? The drop is more than what I thought would make a camber kit highly recommended, which is around 1.5, at most.

And toda_power, I've heard these springs are around $330-$360.

graham
03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
According to AJ Racing, the spoon progressive springs lower the EP by 25 mm (0.98 in). Elsewhere on the site they specify CTR specs seperately, so I assume that this figure is for the EP3.

The rates for the springs are F/R: 7.4/8.2 kg/mm ... or 414/459 lb/in

http://www.aj-racing.com/spoon-sports/ep3-suspension.html

I have my eye on these for sure ... I'd love to get the spoon struts along with the springs, but it's about $1K total :(

DarkSiRacer
03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
SO is it 1.75 inches or 1 inch? anyone have the spoons to have a confirmation?

potator
03-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DarkSiRacer
SO is it 1.75 inches or 1 inch? anyone have the spoons to have a confirmation?

Exactly what I want to know... Somebody said they drop the CTR 1" and the Si 1.75" since the CTR already is a bit lower than the Si... Not sure if that information is correct though. And if 1" is true for our Si's, then that's a really small drop! Only 1 inch will still leave a pretty big wheel gap. I think around a 1.5 inch drop would be perfect.

Chinaboy
03-23-2004, 12:38 AM
if it is 1 inch for a CTR and 1.75 for USDM si.. then the specs should be correct.

as i said, the springs are made to for the EP3 CTR chassis, that is all the JDM people can play with at Spoon R&D. So if it dropps the CTR by 1 inch then it is low enough. A CTR is lower than the SI by about 1.5 to two inchs. So... if a Si was to use the same spring, with the ride height we got now, then it should be approx 1.5 to 1.75

and no, no one has confirmation... but wait a month... i'll let u guys know

joneSi
03-23-2004, 11:59 AM
I've got a noisy prokit that I'll be replacing with either these or a Tein Basic set. My Q is if it is made to use with the CTR stock shocks, OR if its ok to use it with the Si stockers.

Any input would be great,

THX
joneSi

irrational
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
wow this post is over one year old!!! lmao

joneSi
03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
LMAO too ... Ha, a year old, and still no more info. Looks like I'll be getting the Tein Basics.

joneSi

Chinaboy
03-23-2004, 06:48 PM
if you are willing to wait... i'll have information in three weeks time... with pictures of the drop

I have to wait for mine to come in... then we'll know

chubbychu
03-23-2004, 06:51 PM
why not prokits?

DarkSiRacer
03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
why not prokits?

yea why not? I only can afford a 1 inch gap cuz of my steep a$$ drive way.... are there any other springs that lower an inch

ramone70
03-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I want a modest drop but I too want close to stock performance! Can you confirm the performance with these springs and "no need for camber adjustment"? What is the exact drop?
Are these springs the same as progress lowering springs?

joneSi
03-24-2004, 03:57 PM
I've got the Eibach Prokit, and I did NOT do the camber adjustment, no unusual tire wear, etc. Stock shocks. It does not provide the level of performance that I want. I'm looking at adjustable height with new struts, so the Tein Basics are calling out for me.

I will however, wait to see the review of the Spoon Progressive springs... ya never know.

joneSi

graham
03-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Hello,

According to AJ Racing ... who I emailed about this ... the spoon progressive springs are intended for the CTR.

The claimed lowering amount of 1" therefore applies to the CTR, and means it will lower our cars by about 1.5". The Spoon fixed dampeners are not out yet (but you probably already knew that).

Chinaboy ... I can't wait to see these springs on an EP :)

BSEVEER
03-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by graham
Hello,

According to AJ Racing ... who I emailed about this ... the spoon progressive springs are intended for the CTR.

The claimed lowering amount of 1" therefore applies to the CTR, and means it will lower our cars by about 1.5". The Spoon fixed dampeners are not out yet (but you probably already knew that).

I'm pretty sure the CTR is 19mm lower than our car so that would make the total drop 44mm or 1.732 in.

Chinaboy
03-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by graham
Hello,

me too!!!!! :D its taking them too long to get it over here. About the spoon dampers... in Hong Kong, they have the got the part and price for the ajustable ones... its about 2000USD... so about 200 dollars difference. But the unadjustable are still unknown...

give me time gentalmen... we still see a spoon dropp soon... i swear someone had this spoon springs befire me... was it you Sirman?

HASNIC
03-26-2004, 09:40 PM
The Spoon springs drop a CTR by 25mm so will drop the Si by more than that;)