PDA

View Full Version : Converting to RSX front suspension setup with Konis...no need for cutting stock ones

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 10:46 AM
I know someone knows a little about this. I can't remember who, but someone had mentioned a while back about doing this. I'm seriously considering this, since it seems Koni is our only choice, and I don't feel like cutting my stock shocks.
Hamlet9364 had stated:

you need the lower tie rod ends off an RSX ($70), and you have to grind the strut assumbly attatchment point down a little to fit the civic mounting point. I didn't do they work, so I dunno how hard it is to do.
Does anyone have additional info on this?

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 10:57 AM
Well this might have been a wasted thread. I did some more searching and finally found the person that I remember hearing something about RSX and koni shocks..... ColinCivicSiR has said a few things:

I blew two shocks but I was racing and had them on full hard, got hydrostatic lock and I think they blew because of that, I blew the seals on one but the other actually came apart in two pieces. I wish I had taken some pictures, it was not good....took me two hours to drive to my work wich was close to the track, usually takes 15 minutes.

Anyway the current shocks offered by Koni will fit our car but they are not specifically valved for it, they are set up for the civic coupes and sedans, which weigh alot less and have different spring rates.

The current koni's offered also raise the rear spring perch by 1/2 an inch.

Koni has released a set of shcos for the RSX and the Civic Type R but the front shocks are not the same as ours, our I think are 52mm inside diameter of the strut housing after you cut it and the RSX and Civic Type R are 55mm.

I will either send my shocks off for re-valving before next race season or get the Civic Type R shocks. I have a friend who works at an acura dealer and he is going to keep an eye out for blown RSX shocks to I can use thier bodies with the Type R shocks.

Thier is also a difference with the strut mounting bolts for the hubs, ours uses 16mm bolts both upper and lower, the civic coupe uses 14mm upper and lower and the RSX uses 16mm lower and 14mm upper, so if you do this swap you will have to get the right bolts. This is not a big deal because both honda and acura offer camber adjusting bolts for our cars in the different sizes.

And another one by ColinCivicSiR

The type R shocks will not fit our car. The strut body is a different diameter. Koni does not make a shock "SPECIFICALLY" for our car the coupe shocks are the same diameter for the strut in the front as ours. The rears for the coupe will fit but they actually have a slightly higher spring mount from stock.

I have the Koni's on my car and they work great, I did blow a couple in the beginning but this hasn't happend since. You might call the Koni technical line, they will be able to tell you if the type R rears will fit.

I am thinking of going with the RSX-s strut bodies for next year and the type R shocks. The RSX-s has the same diameter struts as the Civic Type R so you could try this if you know someone at an Acura dealer that can get you blown struts to cut, I do and might try this for next years Autocross season as I don't think the valving on the coupe shocks is quite right for our cars.

So it's sounds like we still have to cut the RSX ones? I thought they had specific shocks for them. Help, confused! :o

Jpax
01-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Yea get this guy to cut your springs.

spoon3168
01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
ehh do u have a pic??coz i have no idea what u talking about:(

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 12:41 PM
holy freakin crap! KONI GUYS, not Springs! I'm talking about shocks here. you know, shocks, not springs. :( never mind....

DocofMind
01-23-2003, 12:42 PM
From what i remember, the koni that are available at the moment are only inserts. That is for both the RSX and the Civic. Meaning you would have to cut something up in order to make it work.

In regards to what hamlet was talking about, he was smoking a bit of the good stuff. What he meant to say was that to run a RSX strut and spring on the EP, you need a RSX OUTER tire rod end. If you need the part numbers for those i can get them for you.

As far as i know, there is no direct replacement unit available right now besides a complete coil over. Not that i know of atleast. The KYB AGX's which are a direct replacement will be available shortly.

spoon3168
01-23-2003, 01:14 PM
:( the part i don't understand is about the bolt 14mm and 16mm is it the shock bottom part that has 2bolt and nuts that connect the spindle part i don't know what's it call.. do we have to play on it ? coz it was refering our civic top bolt is 16mm and bottom 16mm, do we have to shave anything?? sorry about the misunderstanding

IceD out N CALI
01-23-2003, 01:15 PM
forget this cutting business, i'll wait for the kyb's and do it right;)

DocofMind
01-23-2003, 02:24 PM
First thing first. Lets get our understandings straight. STock for stock, the rsx suspension will fit the EP on these conditions:

1. The front suspension is a direct replacement. All you need in conjunction with the spring and strut is the outer tie rod end off the rsx.

2. The rear suspension will also work with a little modification to one of the mounts of the strut. A grinder will do this job with ease.

Now, the only cutting involved has to do with Koni's. SO unless you are getting Konis, dont worry about any cutting. Koni doesnt make struts for these cars yet, only inserts which slide into your factory strut after its been cut open.

spoon3168
01-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind
First thing first. Lets get our understandings straight. STock for stock, the rsx suspension will fit the EP on these conditions:

1. The front suspension is a direct replacement. All you need in conjunction with the spring and strut is the outer tie rod end off the rsx.

2. The rear suspension will also work with a little modification to one of the mounts of the strut. A grinder will do this job with ease.

Now, the only cutting involved has to do with Koni's. SO unless you are getting Konis, dont worry about any cutting. Koni doesnt make struts for these cars yet, only inserts which slide into your factory strut after its been cut open.
thanks alot

Jpax
01-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Yea get this guy to cut your springs.

This was a joke .:o

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 03:48 PM

ah, damn, gotta it. I thought maybe the konis were a striaght swap and no cutting for the RSX....I saw on www.tirerack.com they make a statement for the Si, but not the RSX...oh well :(
And Paxie....sorry man, I wasn't jumping you, I was just frustrated....we need a shock that we don't have to cut :mad:

IceD out N CALI: Is KYB going to make a strut for us that we don't have to cut? Do you have info on this?

IceD out N CALI
01-23-2003, 04:05 PM
The KYB AGX's which are a direct replacement will be available shortly.

02SilverSiHB: i'm going by this statement. but also i've heard about it being released for the rsx on clubrsx.:)

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

02SilverSiHB: i'm going by this statement. but also i've heard about it being released for the rsx on clubrsx.:)
awsome! Koni screwed up when they tried to half ass us!

DocofMind
01-23-2003, 04:10 PM
The KYB's WILL be available. My rep was just here and promised me he will get them here as soon as possible. As soon as i hear more i will pass the info along to you guys.

As soon as i m confident about a shipping date, i ll get a group buy going for you guys so everyone can get taken care of :)

silver ep
01-23-2003, 04:12 PM
we need a shock that we don't have to cut
Couldnt agree with you more, KYB and Tokico need to get the hell with it! :mad:

IceD out N CALI
01-23-2003, 04:13 PM
The KYB's WILL be available. My rep was just here and promised me he will get them here as soon as possible. As soon as i hear more i will pass the info along to you guys.

As soon as i m confident about a shipping date, i ll get a group buy going for you guys so everyone can get taken care of :)

excellent news!excellent news! i can't wait!:)

surfsi
01-25-2003, 08:33 AM
I had Konis cut into my struts, and after doing it I would have to say that if you take it to a good shop that can understand the shitty directions given you'll be happier you did! The first thing you do is drill out the bottom to release the pressure then you cut the top off according to your spring rating, and then you use the stock unit as your sleeve for your konis and WALA you have one hell of a solid unit- unlike your average bolt on bullshit!!! NOTE I cant stress enough to use a good shop that doesn't consider this foreign work, if there is any doubt get the hell out of dodge and find a good shop if you don't do your own work.