PDA

View Full Version : h&r springs

2k2civicSi
06-16-2002, 06:14 PM
i want to drop my car if i put h&r springs am i gona have to get new struts or a camber kit??

02TafWhtSi
06-16-2002, 06:39 PM
I'm not too familiar w/ H&R springs but a good rule of thumb is more than 1.5" of a drop and you're looking at some serious negative camber and a much faster rate of shock wear. Eibach has their Pro-Kit springs which lower the new Si 1" all around. This way tire wear is kept at a minimum and shock life can be increased significantly so you're not always buying new tires/shocks :) . However, if a big drop is what you want (more than 1.5") then you will definately need a camber kit and some stronger shocks (Tokico/Koni). Hope that helps:)

2k2civicSi
06-16-2002, 06:43 PM
so what your saying is if i drop it at all im gona need new shocks eventuly

02TafWhtSi
06-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
so what your saying is if i drop it at all im gona need new shocks eventuly

Yes and no. Sorry to sound confusing but its a tricky subject. Stock shocks (OEM Honda) are designed to work with the springs that come with your car. Once you install shorter springs the shocks are placed under more stress than they were originally designed for. Thus, after a while, under normal conditions, your shocks will wear out faster than if you kept your original springs. However, a mild drop (.5" to 1.5") will allow the stock shocks to last much longer than if you went crazy with a 3" drop or something ridiculous. So, to answer your question - if you never want to worry about your suspension for a very long time then upgrade the shocks now but if you dont have the $ or are impatient leave em' but remember they will eventually have to be replaced down the road (1-2 years). OK?:)

2k2civicSi
06-16-2002, 07:11 PM
thank you for clearing that up will strut bar help???

02TafWhtSi
06-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
thank you for clearing that up will strut bar help???

An aftermarket, thicker, stronger strut bar will greatly reduce body roll/lean when your are cornering - it really has no affect on the life of your shocks.
If you want the best suspension setup possible here's what you will need:
*A complete "coil-over" spring/shock unit where ride height and shock damping (hard/soft) can be custom set. These are very expensive ($900+ for a set of 4) but are usually of umbreakable quality and will last for the life of your car.
*A camber correction kit - the new McPherson setup on these cars is different though so you will have to look into this more in depth.
*Front and rear ani-roll/strut bars used to reduce body lean in corners.
*Polyurethane bushings to replace OEM rubber units which also reduce body lean in turns
*An aggressive tire/wheel package (16"-18" are common)

The most simple way is to just install a good set of springs that lower the ride height by about 1" and a good set of 16" tires and wheels and your car will be much more fun than stock and you won't have to worry much about anything wearing out for a long while ;) ! PM me if you have any more questions. Happy to help.

2k2civicSi
06-16-2002, 07:34 PM
thanks alot for your help and i have a set of 17x7.5 axis rims and there is a really ugly gap you think that is i put the pro 1''drop kit it will help out alot

2k2civicSi
06-16-2002, 07:36 PM
and not wear out to quick

02TafWhtSi
06-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Without a doubt - Pro-Kits are the safest, least complicated investment you can make to improve both the looks and handling of your new Si:) . Happy tuning!

xlr8
06-17-2002, 06:58 PM
the h&r set up is a 1.3 drop. it gives you 1.8 degrees of negative camber in the rear, very good for handling. a rear sway bar is the greatest thing you can do. then add a light weight set of 17s and you will have xcelent handling, just like me

02TafWhtSi
06-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by xlr8
the h&r set up is a 1.3 drop. it gives you 1.8 degrees of negative camber in the rear, very good for handling. a rear sway bar is the greatest thing you can do. then add a light weight set of 17s and you will have xcelent handling, just like me

I guess everyone has their personal fav's so do your own research and buy what YOU want not what we tell you. All we can do is give you personal experiences and opinions. Ok?:D

charles
10-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Those are alright

great insight..... not. what's the deal with bumping old threads?

jlong21
10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
im thinking about getting the same h&r springs with but on some konig trouble 17x7 thanks for the insight!

abstract
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
An aftermarket, thicker, stronger strut bar will greatly reduce body roll/lean when your are cornering - it really has no affect on the life of your shocks.
If you want the best suspension setup possible here's what you will need:
*A complete "coil-over" spring/shock unit where ride height and shock damping (hard/soft) can be custom set. These are very expensive ($900+ for a set of 4) but are usually of umbreakable quality and will last for the life of your car.
*A camber correction kit - the new McPherson setup on these cars is different though so you will have to look into this more in depth.
*Front and rear ani-roll/strut bars used to reduce body lean in corners.
*Polyurethane bushings to replace OEM rubber units which also reduce body lean in turns
*An aggressive tire/wheel package (16"-18" are common)

The most simple way is to just install a good set of springs that lower the ride height by about 1" and a good set of 16" tires and wheels and your car will be much more fun than stock and you won't have to worry much about anything wearing out for a long while ;) ! PM me if you have any more questions. Happy to help.

ill have to disagree woth u on the full coilovers... there not for everyone, especially those who live up north by the water. the sleaves will require maintenance/cleaning. If you plan on slamming your car in good weather then raising it in winter season OR you plan on going to the track (autox whatever) and u want to be cornerbalanced then go for it, if not then springs/aftermarket shocks work perfectly fine,. Get a set that suits your need for performance and ride eight (do research)

as far as strut bars i personally wouldnt get them unless you intend to take on corners very aggressivelly (track etc..) u wont notice shit from your everyday drive.

id much rather have a rear sway bar to counter the nasty understeer these cars have before any strut bar combo.

if your getting springs for performance id look elsewhere then h&r