PDA

View Full Version : The dashboard shifter

snubnose
07-24-2002, 02:45 AM
One of the little pleasures I get from the '02 Si is from using the dash mounted shifter. I personally like it up there. It feels better. I can operate the stereo with my hand resting on the shifter.

I also use it as an armrest. I just keep my hand there, ready for the next shift.

Oh yea, I think the leather knob looks and feels great.

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Thanks for Sharing. :) I still think it looks like the dashboard grew a penis.

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:20 PM
well i got rid of that lame accordian looking thing on the shifter and i got custom black leather with red stitching to match the interior and i now use that as my boot it looks WAY better.

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:22 PM
got a pic?

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:29 PM
That was the best thing I liked in my test drive of the EP3...the shifter is magnificiant. Wouldnt mind seeing it on other cars.

punkdork
07-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
I also use it as an armrest. I just keep my hand there, ready for the next shift.

Not a good way to drive man. Keep both hands on the wheel unless you are actually shifting. :)

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:32 PM
i dont have a digital camera i dont have any pictures of my car it sucks. i will try and find one and as soon as i do you better bet i will post all my pics

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by punkdork

Not a good way to drive man. Keep both hands on the wheel unless you are actually shifting. :)

I thought you kept one hand on the wheel and one hanging around your girlfriend :cool: or holding you beer!

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
i dont have a digital camera i dont have any pictures of my car it sucks. i will try and find one and as soon as i do you better bet i will post all my pics

Do you have AIM? hit me up (in my sig) and we can meet up. I'll take some nice pics of your car w/ my digi cam

MagusDC5
07-24-2002, 02:40 PM
heres a pic:

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:46 PM
very phallic. :D

punkdork
07-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by beretta627

I thought you kept one hand on the wheel and one hanging around your girlfriend :cool: or holding you beer!

Thats what the Si needs... a front bench seat conversion. That way I can get her nice n close! :D

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 02:52 PM
no i dont have aim whare do you live in Los Angeles

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:53 PM

Thats what the Si needs... a front bench seat conversion. That way I can get her nice n close! :D

lol ... time to tear apart the old plymouth volares and their puke green benches and install them into our cars! :D

beretta627
07-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
no i dont have aim whare do you live in Los Angeles

punkdork
07-24-2002, 03:04 PM

lol ... time to tear apart the old plymouth volares and their puke green benches and install them into our cars! :D

Can anyone photochop this into a White Si?

http://www.autoenhance.com/glenwood.gif

beretta627
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
*DEAD*

lol :p :D

SpeedRacer
07-24-2002, 03:22 PM
me too 310

stingyboy
07-24-2002, 06:55 PM
lol @ the bench seats!!

when anyone asks me about the shifter i tell them "it's special made for left-handed people."

then when i drive away i reach across with my left hand and shift into 1st. they get a really confused look on their face and walk away wondering "WTF??"

:confused: :p

02TafWhtSi
07-24-2002, 07:23 PM
I'm just so surprised how easy it was to get used to this shifter. I know every magaine article says that it becomes natural only after a few miles but its really true! I don't even think about it most of the time - perfect placement and oh so smooth!:)

Mechanic
07-25-2002, 02:55 AM
Shifter's weird, but I can live with it.

You guys follow rally cars in Europe? (The series is covered extensively on the Speed Channel.) Anyhow, Honda chose the weird shifter because all rally cars have a similar set up, only in a $125k rally car shifting is sequencial (sp?), like a motorcycle. You just pull the lever straight back to upshift, push forward to downshift. On our cars, the shifter's location is just a sale's gimmick with no real mechanical purpose. What makes it really silly is the fact that Honda doesn't compete in the European Rally Championship; there no real reason for the company to mimic the dash shifter of a rally car other than to juice sales (in Europe).

SiVTEC
07-25-2002, 03:08 AM
it seems more natural:D

punkdork
07-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Mechanic
Shifter's weird, but I can live with it.

You guys follow rally cars in Europe? (The series is covered extensively on the Speed Channel.) Anyhow, Honda chose the weird shifter because all rally cars have a similar set up, only in a $125k rally car shifting is sequencial (sp?), like a motorcycle. You just pull the lever straight back to upshift, push forward to downshift. On our cars, the shifter's location is just a sale's gimmick with no real mechanical purpose. What makes it really silly is the fact that Honda doesn't compete in the European Rally Championship; there no real reason for the company to mimic the dash shifter of a rally car other than to juice sales (in Europe).

Are you talking about the WRC? If so, those cars actually cost about $500k each. As far as the shifter positioning, it does allow quicker shifts with less time spent with your hand off the wheel. Additionally frees up all that storage space where the shifter would be.

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 08:07 AM
Thanks for Sharing. :) I still think it looks like the dashboard grew a penis.
:laugh1:

CleanBlackSi02
07-25-2002, 02:46 PM
Personally, I wish it was in the standard position. I do like that it gets many compliments , but sometimes I just wish I could rest my arm on something and relax. It's not a very laid back feeling car, ya kno? I guess that was the idea though...

punkdork
07-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02
Personally, I wish it was in the standard position. I do like that it gets many compliments , but sometimes I just wish I could rest my arm on something and relax. It's not a very laid back feeling car, ya kno? I guess that was the idea though...

If you want a laid back feeling get a touring car or a highway cruiser. Our little rice hatches are meant to be driven and for that you need both hands on the wheel, not one chillin on the shifter.

Besides, I read somewhere once (precise eh?) that resting your hand on a shifter can be bad for the tranny or shift linkage or whatever since it stops the vibration that normally travel through them. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'd hate to spread an urban legened. :)

grooveline
07-25-2002, 03:58 PM
I can confirm that.

Klik and klak... they have a radio show and are published in newspapers. They are automotive guru's. Anyway, one fine Sunday a girl asks if it is ok to rest your hand on the shifter. THey said no. it puts uneccesary strain on the linkage, bearings, and syncro's.

Word to ya mutha!

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by grooveline
I can confirm that.

Klik and klak... they have a radio show and are published in newspapers. They are automotive guru's. Anyway, one fine Sunday a girl asks if it is ok to rest your hand on the shifter. THey said no. it puts uneccesary strain on the linkage, bearings, and syncro's.

Word to ya mutha!
you are correct sir! :D
put hand on shifter not good to, yes, hhmmm heemmm :D

SmoothOperator
07-25-2002, 06:17 PM
I've been trying really hard to break the habit of resting my hand on the shifter. I told my gf to smack my hand everytime it's unnecessarily on the shifter :D
I remember before the EPs came out, almost every forum I went to was bashing the soon to come shifter. I think they're all eating their words now, cause as far as I'm concerned... "it's like buttah"

CleanBlackSi02
07-25-2002, 10:12 PM

If you want a laid back feeling get a touring car or a highway cruiser. Our little rice hatches are meant to be driven and for that you need both hands on the wheel, not one chillin on the shifter.

Besides, I read somewhere once (precise eh?) that resting your hand on a shifter can be bad for the tranny or shift linkage or whatever since it stops the vibration that normally travel through them. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'd hate to spread an urban legened. :)

Most of the time I love the setup....I just wish it was more laid back for those long drives. And I wasn't saying that I rest my hand on the shifter, rather I wish we had an armrest somtimes...only sometimes though. A little fold down rest might surface itself in the coming years of the EP....

punkdork
07-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

Most of the time I love the setup....I just wish it was more laid back for those long drives. And I wasn't saying that I rest my hand on the shifter, rather I wish we had an armrest somtimes...only sometimes though. A little fold down rest might surface itself in the coming years of the EP....

Yeah the fold down armrest in my GF's golf can be nice in traffic... etc. :)