PDA

View Full Version : I think my Ep is suffering from a severe case of wheel-hop, anyone else notice?

ep pilot
01-23-2003, 08:02 PM
I can

Suk02Si
01-23-2003, 08:06 PM
maybe it's your tires struggling to grip the road.

grip-spin-grip-spin-grip-spin

although much faster, it might be whats causing the hop. I know it happens to me at the track(high traction surface) much worse than on the street(dusty, unprepared). The weak control arm bushings might also have something to do with it.

myeverlovinsir
01-23-2003, 08:13 PM
A stock setup will hop like a bitch, but I think the suspension upgrade to stiffer springs and better damping will help alot.

gpt
01-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of wheel spin! It rains quite a bit where I live and I am so used to spinning my wheels whenever I pull off. Sometimes on a slight uphill I will floor it as I change to second gear and my car just spins it's wheels like mad - good fun but not very effective.

I have new tires now (Kumho Ecsta) which has helped a little, but I still have no grip on the wet.

Wheel hop just seems to be a more severe form of wheelspin and whenever my cars starts to wheel hop I make sure to get off the gas - it really doesn't feel healthy to hop.
Personally I think it may have something to do with the height of our cars causing the weight to transfer further back while pullin off and thereby unloading the front wheels. Can anyone with a lowered car verify this?

gpt
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
A stock setup will hop like a bitch, but I think the suspension upgrade to stiffer springs and better damping will help alot.
There's my answer thanks!:D You must have typed this as I was typing my message.

Jpax
01-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Well from someone that lives in the rain i can say yes it happens to me too. what i do is let the clutch out quicker and shift quicker, on dry days i can shift more slowly, but yea in water its a bish.

ep pilot
01-23-2003, 08:26 PM
I

ep pilot
01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
Well from someone that lives in the rain i can say yes it happens to me too. what i do is let the clutch out quicker and shift quicker, on dry days i can shift more slowly, but yea in water its a bish.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.

-Ryan

BarracksSi
01-23-2003, 10:30 PM
That's the one thing I don't like about my EP.

My '86 Si almost never had wheel hop -- just nice spin marks for as long as I ran it. The first time my EP hopped, I was immediately disappointed.

What's the usual modifications to combat wheelhop?

ep pilot
01-23-2003, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BarracksSi
[B]That's the one thing I don't like about my EP.

My '86 Si almost never had wheel hop -- just nice spin marks for as long as I ran it. The first time my EP hopped, I was immediately disappointed.

I know the first thing I will try is adjusting my tire preassure.

-Ryan

chunky
01-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
That's the one thing I don't like about my EP.

your '86 si had tires with different compound, skinnier tires, and nowhere near as much power.

the main culprit for wheel hop in FWD cars is the rear or front engine mount. Stock mounts are soft in order to isolate vibration from the cabin. This allows the motor to rock quite a bit back and forth. The usual solution is to get a polyurethane rear engine mount. In most cases this will entirely eliminate wheel hop.

another source of wheel hop is cold tires. Cold rubber has more harsh breakaway qualities than warm rubber. Wheel hop is always the worst for me in the cold.

Wheel hop is bad. the majority of FWD cars that snap driveshafts do so during wheel hop.