PDA

View Full Version : Sequential manual!!!???Most find help me!!

HL_Racing
01-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Heres the deal i have to have one!! I know blah blah blah $$$$$$bling bling cash money too expensive!!!NOOOOO!!
Ok well maybe the the one for the f1 ferrari which costs 10,000.

Listen the new mr2-s spyder comes with one and they say its only $780 now thats damn mad not alotta cash for that kinda system!!Anyways to my problem i must find one ive searched for weeks on the internet and usually anything i ever needed i could find but low and behold nope cant find where i can buy one of these!! Right now ive been calling the local junkyards to find a new wrecked mr-2 i could pull one out of but i really would like to know where i could purchase one!!!! You cant even try to tell me that having an ep busting out a sequential like the type r touring cars would be baddasss!!!(atleast i think they got something sorta like that oh well i need one plz help!!!!:D

Will2K2
01-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Didn't SCC just test a dog-box for the VW GTI?

made by Quaife I think

Several problems:

-noisier than Synchromesh
-need to drive harder
-MAD BLING BLING YO!!! (5 figures)
-etc..etc...

SiRman
01-24-2003, 12:34 AM
You're talking more money then the car is worth.

HL_Racing
01-24-2003, 04:24 AM
Hmmm.... I realize that most of these type of manual gearboxes are however i have found that the new mr-2 spyder smt is only runs about $780 brand new which is an incredible price for its performance at that cost!!! You are definately right however about the bmw series smg's and ferraris's fi series which runs about $10k (Oh god Dang!!!!!) Plz if anyone has any info on where i could pick one of these up swing the info my way man thank you guys are great!!!:D

Will2K2
01-24-2003, 07:10 AM
The model in the Toyota is a factory piece, they sell several thousand of those worldwide and find uses for that tranny in other cars as well.

Therefore they are able to difer the cost over several thousand units.

However if you buy only ONE TRANSMISSION on your own, from a manufacturer who supplies it

You're looking at over $20,000 by the time all is said and done

BTW, are you a troll?

Gibhunter
01-24-2003, 09:08 AM
The one on the MR2 is half a second slower in the 1/4 mile than the manual MR2 due to it being set to change gears too slowly compared to the manual transmission. Toyota did it because it's not strong enough to stand up to the abuse of faster gear changes (or soe stupid reason like that). Still, even if you got it, what makes you think that you could match it up to the K series engine or that you could modify it's computer to be compatible with that of the Si?

Now the SMG used on BMW is even more of a problem since BMW is rear wheel drive and the engine is physically bigger and makes much more torue than the K series does.

Your whole idea of an SMG on an Si is really a few years early. I have no doubt that in three to five years, Honda will have cars out with an SMG on a K series engines and then you can start having dreams of a tranny swaps.

HL_Racing
01-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Yeah that why im kinda hoping that ill find a nice wrecked mr2-s with it still intact because i know i could prolly get a nice price on that like maybe a couple k at most hopefully!!!! Im not a troll i am however an elf with magic tuning powers!!!lol hahaha i wish im a noob at these cars i need some magic ep elves damn i wander how much those are running these days? Anyways you that would be bad ass to hook one up in an ep oh god dang!!!!!!:D

SIborland
01-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Try to contact JAS Engineering over in Europe somewhere. They make an SMG for their race CTR. Im sure it would be mad bills, but the only place that does it at the moment I believe.

chunky
01-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by HL_Racing
Heres the deal i have to have one!! I know blah blah blah $$$$$$bling bling cash money too expensive!!!NOOOOO!!
Ok well maybe the the one for the f1 ferrari which costs 10,000.

Listen the new mr2-s spyder comes with one and they say its only $780 now thats damn mad not alotta cash for that kinda system!!Anyways to my problem i must find one ive searched for weeks on the internet and usually anything i ever needed i could find but low and behold nope cant find where i can buy one of these!! Right now ive been calling the local junkyards to find a new wrecked mr-2 i could pull one out of but i really would like to know where i could purchase one!!!! You cant even try to tell me that having an ep busting out a sequential like the type r touring cars would be baddasss!!!(atleast i think they got something sorta like that oh well i need one plz help!!!!:D

I don't think you quite understand what a sequential manual transmission really is.

on a real sequential manual transmission, there are generally no synchros, and you move the shift lever either forward or backwards - and often you don't even have to lift your foot from the throttle.

Most of the ones you'll find in production cars are still synchromesh transmissions, but they have small motors that actuate the gear shift levers and the clutch (this is how the BMW SMG system works).

I'm not familiar with the new mr2 system, but toyota has had the sequential shift feature on their automatic transmission equipped vehicles (i'm thinking mainly celica gt-s), and basically it's just a push button shifter on the steering wheel. Total crock of shit.

btw, an mr2 transmission would not work in your car most likely.

95 GSR
01-24-2003, 10:19 AM
did u know that MR2s are know to have weak trannys...?
Like gilhunter said..... how do u plan and putin g this tranny on ur car, mr2 tranny doesnt match with a k series motor

HL_Racing
01-25-2003, 03:03 PM
In reply to chinky's post yes i do know how the sequential performs after reading all about them and there workings(before i posted this thread)

Now to everyone else i really appreciate all the help and im going to be trying to get ahold of Jas engineering over in Europe i know it will definately be mad bling bling (damn gansta thugs around here got me talking wak!) anyways god those touring ctr's are badass!!!! I'd give up everything i had to become a touring car driver!! Which im trying to find the path to get there through driving schools and all kinda shit!!!Im trying to get into th scca races but i cant find any around in my area!!!!Tampa Bay Area! This is with my Mr-2 91' by the way. Oh well thanks again for all the help peace guys!:)

chunky
01-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by HL_Racing
In reply to chinky's post yes i do know how the sequential performs after reading all about them and there workings(before i posted this thread)

Now to everyone else i really appreciate all the help and im going to be trying to get ahold of Jas engineering over in Europe i know it will definately be mad bling bling (damn gansta thugs around here got me talking wak!) anyways god those touring ctr's are badass!!!! I'd give up everything i had to become a touring car driver!! Which im trying to find the path to get there through driving schools and all kinda shit!!!Im trying to get into th scca races but i cant find any around in my area!!!!Tampa Bay Area! This is with my Mr-2 91' by the way. Oh well thanks again for all the help peace guys!:)

try this site.

http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html

after some reading, the mr2's new 6 speed sequential transmission is not just an automatic with shift buttons (like the celica gt-s).

I still don't think it'll fit in an EP, but it's cool none the less. I wonder if it has selectable shift speeds like the smg II transmission does. . .

HL_Racing
01-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Heres the little bit i can tell you about it well it does not have the variable shift speeds :( and heres what they (motor trend) say about the sequential from what i have read. It is a little sluggish on the up shifting (compare to: moderately aggressive human shift) they down shifts however are wonderful being that they are extremely quick and it does have the throttle blip built in to match revs while down shifting!!!!(I know it will prolly be a while before i really get serious about doing something like this but i figure with a little tweaking that sluggish up-shift could be taken care of :)!!!Woohooo!! thanks all you guys have been great! I still have alot of research to do ill let you know when (if possible) i will be doing this!:D

swampdonkey
01-27-2003, 11:25 AM
the toyota mr2 sequentil is not an auto with a manual shift feature it is a real auto clutching manual transmition operated by the lever or buttons. it is still slower than a manual. So why bother.