PDA

View Full Version : stock suspension question, new member

fanoftheliving
01-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Hello all -

I am looking for some input. I bought my '02 SI last year, and so far, ~8k miles later I am very happy with it. I am burning some oil, this is irksome, but as I understand it, it's normal so I am not going to agonize over it.
My question is this, I am completely stock, and from day 1 the steering on the SI exhibited some twitchines... That's the best way I can explain it. The car tracks straight, there is no funny wear on the tires, and I am running 32 psi front and back. But I am having to correct it way more then seems normal. Like I said i's steady and all, and I feel confident up to 100/per but it's bugging me a little bit. Is this endemic to all SIs? Is there a fix for this? Would love to hear your guys input on this. Thanks in advance!

Jpax
01-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Take it back to the dealer and have it checked out under warrenty.

fanoftheliving
01-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Ah, I should've mentioned that I have taken it back to the dealer, they say it's just "responsive" like that, and there are no problems.... I don't know if they are snowing me or what, that's why I am seeking input from this board . Thanks!

kenis138
01-24-2003, 12:06 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. Yes, it feels as if you constantly have to make small adjustments to the steering while going straight, like its way too sensitive. Mine stopped doing that after i popped her cherry a bit more. If its the same thing, it will gradually loosen up as you put some more miles on...

DocofMind
01-24-2003, 04:32 PM
First of all, keep in mind the EP is a "WRONG" wheel drive car will always track a lot more than say a rear wheel drive car.

Second, is this occurring at full throtle or at just any rate of speed? If its happening while you are flooring it, welcome to torque steer.

JLannoo
01-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind
If its happening while you are flooring it, welcome to torque steer.

Is that why you have to hold the wheel a little to one side for a few seconds sometimes while taking off quickly?

Also I notice some times when I take off rapidly to the left or right from a stop. The car sometimes feels like it wants to keep turning. Is that caused by the same thing?

All my previous cars were slow lol.

fanoftheliving
01-25-2003, 09:05 AM
DocolMind - I don't think that it is torque sterr... I've driven cars where that was a real real problem, but I don't think that it is a problem with this car (I could be very very wrong). I mean this car has good torque, but I don't think it is so much that it overwhelms the suspension. I've had a bunch of other Hondas before, they were all wrong-drive cars, but I had never had a problem like this...
The problem is most pronounced while driving steadily at pretty much any speed. I notice it especially when I am driving slow, like 60 or so. Thanks for the replies guys.

DocofMind
01-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by fanoftheliving
DocolMind - I don't think that it is torque sterr... I've driven cars where that was a real real problem, but I don't think that it is a problem with this car (I could be very very wrong). I mean this car has good torque, but I don't think it is so much that it overwhelms the suspension. I've had a bunch of other Hondas before, they were all wrong-drive cars, but I had never had a problem like this...
The problem is most pronounced while driving steadily at pretty much any speed. I notice it especially when I am driving slow, like 60 or so. Thanks for the replies guys.

Trust me, this car has tremendous torque steer. TRUST ME.

What i believe you are experiencing though is a bad alignment. Seems like something is out of spec. I know exactly what you are going through. When i lowered our EP before the alignment, it did the exact thing you are talking about. You could take it to the dealer but i doubt they will do anything. Just get a good alignment. :)

Good luck