PDA

View Full Version : direct-port vs. single fogger

fishboy
07-24-2002, 10:22 AM
i think a direct-port nitrous setup is better than a single fogger system because you can control exactly how much of a shot goes into each cylinder. if you use a single fogger, say a 50 shot, tapped into your intake the shot won't evenly distribute into each of the cylinders. you might get say 30 in one, 10, 5, and 5 in the one furthest away from the throttle body, just an example, numbers might very well vary or in fact this might not even occur. so the first cylinder has an increased chance of detonation. is there any truth to this claim? if a 50 shot single fogger is safe, that's what miami is running, and a particular cylinder can take say an uneven shot of 30, then can we get away with an 80 shot with a 20 shot going into each of the cylinders directly?

grooveline
07-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Thats why you place your fogger as far way as possible from your intake manifold, so you get a good mix.

David K.
07-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Good question. I'm no expert, but I have heard that a direct port kit will allow you to run an overall larger shot than a conventional intake nitrous setup, b/c the nitrous is more evenly distributed to all the cylinders. With some intakes nitrous distribution is a real problem. On a somewhat related subject, I know that Turbo Buick guys often run a "seventh" fuel injector at the back of their intake manifolds due to poor fuel dispersion to the back cylinders. I would assume that a conventional nitrous kit could encounter similar dispersion problems on certain intakes; don't know if ours is one of them.

NOS recently came out with a new direct port system that installs without having to tap the intake manifold or run hard line. It installs in the fuel injector slots and the fuel injectors piggyback the nitrous jets. It's actually pretty clever. I've only seen it for Mustangs so far but it should be avialable for other cars soon. It mad MASSIVE torque gains on the Mustang (over 500 lb. ft. on a stock 4.6 litre) but was also REALLY expensive, around $1200 or so.