PDA

View Full Version : Those with a new mid pipe.what kind of flange was used to bolt up to stock muffler?

02SilverSiHB
01-25-2003, 04:52 PM
I tried to get a shop to make a mid pipe for me (2.25"), but the guy said that the stock flange was "weird" and that he didn't have 2.25" flanges like that and didn't know where to get them. So any of you run into this problem that were using your stock muffler with the new mid pipe?

JSIR
01-25-2003, 06:10 PM
well you can re-use the stock flange, many people do that, I re-used it on my first midpipe. You cut it off the stock pipe. On my current midpipe the shop made up a new flange, but that takes more work as that end flange has support hangers on it. I think any good exhaust shop would have a flange that fits. But I would re-use the stock end flange , it is quite large, and will make fitment best with the stock muffler flange.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-25-2003, 07:03 PM
i lucked out...
some ricer left his stock mid-pipe at the shop i got mine done at...
so they cut the flanges off that one and used it for my custom one...
so i got to keep my stock midpipe intact...

chunky
01-25-2003, 08:11 PM
those flanges are very common.

My exhaust shop had no problems fitting it.

All they have to do is use the pipe expander to stretch the pipe a bit after the flange to re-create the bubble at the end of the stock midpipe.

it's really quite simple to do. Wether or not you re-use the stock spring loaded bolts is up to you. My shop didn't re-use them. I'm not sure if there's any real reason to have them sprung except to make them easier to remove.

Dunrick
01-26-2003, 10:26 AM
What kind of gains are you guys seeing with this?
Is it a little louder than stock exhaust also?

ssvr6
01-26-2003, 11:41 AM
It's a little deeper than stock and not "ricey" at all. (Which is why I like it.)

The guy who made mine had the flanges in stock as well.

Steve

myeverlovinsir
01-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Here are some pics of my midpipe install, hth.

2.25" mipipe (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3769&perpage=15&highlight=midpipe&pagenumber=1) :D

02SilverSiHB
01-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Here are some pics of my midpipe install, hth.

2.25" mipipe (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3769&perpage=15&highlight=midpipe&pagenumber=1) :D
cool, I emailed the guy at the shop that thread...so I hope he gets it now, if now, then I'll just print it out and start shopping :p
I was sooooo eager to get this done on Friday, get a dyno done, and then hit the track. I think if I had that done when I went to the track, I could have got a 15.3 easily. :(

myeverlovinsir
01-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

cool, I emailed the guy at the shop that thread...so I hope he gets it now, if now, then I'll just print it out and start shopping :p
I was sooooo eager to get this done on Friday, get a dyno done, and then hit the track. I think if I had that done when I went to the track, I could have got a 15.3 easily. :(

Yeah its a definite benifit when you have the intake and header on, but I would wait until after next weekend. JSIR will be dyno'ng with his new mandrel bent 2" midpipe, and I am interested in the gains myself. Along with that I will be outfitting JSIR and Smoothoperator's cars with my upgraded ECU for them.

We will know more and provide the results for you guys and Hondata to see. I am surprised Hondata did not release any info yet on their dyno day thread with similar mods to mine. I have been speaking with Doug and he is going to make the same mods to a stock Si and ECU upgrade to try and figure out what is happening. Stay tuned!:D

kenis138
01-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Hey, guys w/ midpipes and no resonators:

do you notice a slight "wubblip" behind the hum of the exhaust when cruising at a steady speed at 3-4k?

Hoping it is a natural sound due to no resonator, rather than an exhaust leak, which I dont see any evidence of....

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
Hey, guys w/ midpipes and no resonators:

do you notice a slight "wubblip" behind the hum of the exhaust when cruising at a steady speed at 3-4k?

Hoping it is a natural sound due to no resonator, rather than an exhaust leak, which I dont see any evidence of....

nope...sounds stock cruising at 3-4k...

kenis138
01-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Sounds stock at 3-4k!? Cmon man, now yer gettin me worried. Are you sure you remember what stock sounds like?

(In consideration, what other mods are you running?)

kenis138
01-28-2003, 06:29 AM
Aha, I see no intake or header, which could have a lot to to w/ it....