PDA

View Full Version : K20A or K20A3

EP3Hatch
01-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Just wondering what you guys think our little EP's would run the 1/4 in with a DC5-R (K20A) motor in it. I see a couple of people on this site that have hit 14's with the K20A3 motor so I wasn't sure if the DC5-R swap would be worth the cash.

Any opinions?

Pradamuimui
01-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I would have to say that the motor would only be worth the money if you planned to tweak and tune it to its fullest potential. The K20A2 would be cheaper and just as sufficient. However with the K20A DC5R motor you get LSD along with it, higher compression, and more of a wider power band to work with. You would also benefit from later doing engine internals...which in return would give you more hp. More hp then what you could extract from the K20A2. But the real factor all comes down to money!!! If you have the money buy the K20A motor. But dont put yourself out on the limb either. Im sure you would be just as happy with the K20A2. I also dont think ur gonna find one answer to this since you could argue specs/pricing on the 2 motors all day. In the end you have to make up ur own decision on how much money you have to spend/what later power gains you want to extract from ur motor.

Dunrick
01-26-2003, 07:19 PM
I say wait out the k20a3 - just came out....it has tons of potential

After all, you did buy a si

just my feelings lately

IceD out N CALI
01-26-2003, 07:25 PM
neither, i'd take the k20a2 with hondadata flash. i'm sure that is good for low to mid 14's:)

Pradamuimui
01-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
neither, i'd take the k20a2 with hondadata flash. i'm sure that is good for low to mid 14's:)

K20A2 would be a good choice. HOWEVER, just because you can raise ur rev limiter, doesn't mean that its good for ur motor either!!! Honda spends millions of dollars testing there motors, etc... with state of the art equipment. If the redline is set at for example 8200rpms which is what it is close to on the K20A2, and you wanna raise the revs to 8600 or 8900rpms then you need to do engine internals. If not its gonna put horrible strain on ur motor, and eventually it will catch up to you!!

IceD out N CALI
01-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui

K20A2 would be a good choice. HOWEVER, just because you can raise ur rev limiter, doesn't mean that its good for ur motor either!!! Honda spends millions of dollars testing there motors, etc... with state of the art equipment. If the redline is set at for example 8200rpms which is what it is close to on the K20A2, and you wanna raise the revs to 8600 or 8900rpms then you need to do engine internals. If not its gonna put horrible strain on ur motor, and eventually it will catch up to you!!

true if you rev beyond what was originally intended its undoubtedly going to shorten engine life to some extent. HOWEVER if you drive normally 95% of the time, and rev it kinda hard the other 5% or so I wouldnt lose any sleep over it:)

chakra71
01-26-2003, 08:41 PM
what's the compression on the k20a (itr) motor? some guys round here said that it was so high that you would most likely need to run on over 100 octane gas to prevent detonation. that would suck, but the power would be fun. something to think about for those looking at a swap if it is that high.