PDA

View Full Version : Brakes!?

SerbiaSi
01-27-2003, 12:05 AM
I have tried searching on this site for some topics about brake upgrades and I could not find s**t. It seems to me that we tend to overlook this important aspect of car tuning. I would appreciate it if some of you could lend me a hand on this topic. I would like to know some particulars about brake upgrades; what kind, where to get them and how much? Thank you!!!!

chet
01-27-2003, 12:11 AM
I tried the same thing and got about the same response. Brakes are so important especially go as fast as we do sometimes.

AEM has an upgrade I think. There is a local shop that says he can hook me up for about $800 or so. Not including calipers, maybe even pads. I am waiting to see if Brembo comes out with a kit. Soon I hope. That's really where I'd like to put money next.

Jpax
01-27-2003, 12:51 AM
speedracer has woolwood or something like that pm him.... he will eather tell you to fack off or give you some info, goodluck. ;) :D

Suk02Si
01-27-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
speedracer has woolwood or something like that pm him.... he will eather tell you to fack off or give you some info, goodluck. ;) :D
haha, yeah he has wilwood. Actually, pm DocofMind, he owns Brake Zone, which is where I met both of them.

If you search the last couple weeks, DocofMind posted pics of his brake installm very nice too.

02SilverSiHB
01-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by chet
I tried the same thing and got about the same response. Brakes are so important especially go as fast as we do sometimes.

AEM has an upgrade I think. There is a local shop that says he can hook me up for about $800 or so. Not including calipers, maybe even pads. I am waiting to see if Brembo comes out with a kit. Soon I hope. That's really where I'd like to put money next.
I "hear" that that AEM kit isn't worth it...

!@#$%
01-27-2003, 03:21 PM
brembo has a gran turismo kit out, but its like 2300 bucks. I was quoted around 1250 for the wilwood kit. I see no point in spending 400 bucks on aem rotors....that do virtually nothing.

I will probably go through brake zone due to the fact that they emphasize having lighter than stock brake setups and the little weight really adds up.

-----NEW EMAIL:------ 1-28-03

"Hi Alex

I'm not sure where you got that price. A typical price for our big brake kits runs between $999.00 and $1399.00 depending on different options. The combination "A" kits typically weighs 20 lbs which is about the same as your civic. This kit is $999.00. The combination "D" kits weighs typically 16 lbs. And costs $1299.00. We also sell kits that extend existing factory calipers out to accommodate larger diameter rotors. The prices you quoted fall within the cost range of these big rotor kits. We can make these kits at anytime with a 50% deposit. It takes from 3 to 5 weeks to complete a kit. We have combination "A" kits available now for 88 to 2000 civics both front and rear. The rear Dynalite kits are for racing only and have no E brake. We can adapt a PBR caliper that has a mechanical E brake. Thanks for contacting us at Precision Brakes Company"

This makes me want the brakezone kit even more.

02SilverSiHB
01-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
I see no point in spending 400 bucks on aem rotors....that do virtually nothing.

yeah, plus they reuse the stock calipers......how cheap is that!?

Quicksilver
01-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Wilwood brake setups with rotors, dynalite calipers, pad, and braided stainless steel lines should only run you about $700-750. The Wilwoods are lighter, stop better, easier to change pads on, cheaper pads, less prone to cracks/warping, and it's cheaper to replace the rotors also. You can't go wrong with them. Do a search on Doc of Mind's posts and you'll get the full scoop on them.

Don't even bother getting the AEMs. The savings is not worth it. Especially in the long run.

SerbiaSi
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I had a chance to talk to Doc today and after a brief conversation I have decided to go with his set-up. It is exactly what I am looking for. :D

chet
01-28-2003, 03:36 AM
Big thanks from me too. The Wilwood setup is sounding pretty enticing. And 2300 for Brembo is just a bit TOO much. For me.

ortedd
01-28-2003, 05:24 AM
Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com) has a kit for other civics, i am sure if you called and gave them the part number they could get it for you at about 600 bucks.

From wilwood.com
YEAR / DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER
1994-01 Honda Civic/Acura Integra with 10.25" (262mm) OE Rotors 140-6163-D
1990-99 Honda Civic with 9.44" (240mm) OE Rotors 140-6310-D
2002-2003 Honda Civic SI with 9.44" (240mm) OE Rotors 140-6163-D

DocofMind
01-28-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ortedd
Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com) has a kit for other civics, i am sure if you called and gave them the part number they could get it for you at about 600 bucks.

From wilwood.com
YEAR / DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER
1994-01 Honda Civic/Acura Integra with 10.25" (262mm) OE Rotors 140-6163-D
1990-99 Honda Civic with 9.44" (240mm) OE Rotors 140-6310-D
2002-2003 Honda Civic SI with 9.44" (240mm) OE Rotors 140-6163-D

You are exactly right!! Summit does sell a very similar kit. This is actually one that Wilwood sells directly.

A couple of notes about their kit.
First of all, they calipers they carry are BILLET, not FORGED like mine :)

Second, the pads they come with squeak to high hell. My kit comes with the EBC Greenstuff pads. This is the new V4 pad. Its organic based pad, much like the OEM pad except it dusts a heck of a lot less. It also has a higher temp rating meaning it will take longer to fade. It is also extremely rotor friendly.

Lastly, my kit also comes with DOT approved stainless lines. Theirs does not. They also dont offer different pattern rotors eithers :cool:

!@#$%
01-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind

You are exactly right!! Summit does sell a very similar kit. This is actually one that Wilwood sells directly.

A couple of notes about their kit.
First of all, they calipers they carry are BILLET, not FORGED like mine :)

Second, the pads they come with squeak to high hell. My kit comes with the EBC Greenstuff pads. This is the new V4 pad. Its organic based pad, much like the OEM pad except it dusts a heck of a lot less. It also has a higher temp rating meaning it will take longer to fade. It is also extremely rotor friendly.

Lastly, my kit also comes with DOT approved stainless lines. Theirs does not. They also dont offer different pattern rotors eithers :cool:

damnit....quit making it sound so good! I want it but am too poor right now. tuition sucks.

STOP TEASING US POOR COLLEGE STUDENTS! :D

Quicksilver
01-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Hey Doc,

I've got a few questions I'm hoping you can answer for me:
1) What's the pricing on your kit going for these days?
2) Does your kit include all necessary parts, including proportioning valve, hoses, etc.?
3) Is it worth upgrading the rears using larger rotors and the stock calipers? (I think Wilwood makes a kit like that)
4) How many hours would you guess that it would take for a professional to install the kit?
5) Is this upgrade something that a person with average wrenching skills could do themselves in their garage?
6) Any recommendations on workarounds since the spare tire will no longer fit on the front? (Just don't say "Fix-a-flat" please)

Thanks in advance!

DocofMind
01-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%

damnit....quit making it sound so good! I want it but am too poor right now. tuition sucks.

STOP TEASING US POOR COLLEGE STUDENTS! :D

I was there once too. 2 years ago actually. Funny story too, i get my BA in psychology and here i am building and selling car stuff a couple years later. Go figure.

DocofMind
01-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Hey Doc,

I've got a few questions I'm hoping you can answer for me:
1) What's the pricing on your kit going for these days?
2) Does your kit include all necessary parts, including proportioning valve, hoses, etc.?
3) Is it worth upgrading the rears using larger rotors and the stock calipers? (I think Wilwood makes a kit like that)
4) How many hours would you guess that it would take for a professional to install the kit?
5) Is this upgrade something that a person with average wrenching skills could do themselves in their garage?
6) Any recommendations on workarounds since the spare tire will no longer fit on the front? (Just don't say "Fix-a-flat" please)

Thanks in advance!

OOOOH, i luv intelligent questions. Makes me feel smart :D
lets just do these in order for ya.

1. The basic kit which includes the 4 piston calipers, 12.2 inch 2 piece rotors, lines, ebc pads and all the hardware starts at $750.

2.The stainless lines ARE included and so is all the bolts and hardware that you need. As a matter of fact, we also include special bolts for the rotors that have holes for safety wire. Since we choose the proper piston diameters, YOU DONT NEED TO TOUCH THE PROPRTIONING VALVE. This is a major problem that Brembo is dealing with right now. Pulling calipers of F40s and Porsches do not match well to stock Honda master cylinders. Our Kit will not change the balance of the car so it is not needed. All the other needed parts including the brackets and anodized hats are included.

3. I actually am making a rear set up with a larger 2 piece rotor that is lighter, i have just been forced to postpone this project a little. Due to the race season at hand, a few other priorities have required my attention. More importantly, the rear upgrade will mostly be a cosmetic and weight reduction set up. The front kit is designed so well that the car doesnt need anything on the rear :eek:

4. Believe it or not, the install is extremely easy. Overall, it should not take an expert over 2 hours. I just installed the forged calipers and new rotors on my car a couple of weeks ago in under 1.5 hours. What you can do to speed up the process is assemble the rotors and hats on your own. By doing this, it becomes a straight forward install. If you or your mechanic gets stuck along the way, your than welcome to shoot me a phone call and i ll be glad to go over each step with you one by one. Its only 4 bolts really, 2 that hold the caliper, 2 that hold the bracket to the spindle. Besides that, you got the hose to replace and the bleeding and your done.

5. I guess i just answered this question above. If you have never done anything like this, give yourself and extra hour to complete this. Also, be sure you have a bleeding kit or a buddy with you to bleed the system of air.

6.This one is a bit easier than you think. The minimum wheel size for this kit is a 16 inch wheel. If you ever get a flat in the front, just switch a rear wheel to the front and put your spare on the back :) just remember that your spare is not meant for high speed runs, so replace your tire ASAP.

Anything else you guys got? hope that helps a little.
Sherwin

Quicksilver
01-28-2003, 02:19 PM
I knew you'd have all the answers. I'd never thought to rotate tires like that when a flat happened in the front. It makes my decision to upgrade later this year easier on my mind. (My wallet might disagree however) What's the wheel backspacing requirements for the calipers to clear them? (I have 17x7" OZ Superleggeras, but couldn't find info on their backspacing)

Thanks again!

LeperCon
02-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Docofmind: Ok, I'm a little confused. Are your brakes the Wilwoods? Please explain what the difference is if they are not. Also, where can I find these brakes for sale? Thanks.

DocofMind
02-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by LeperCon
Docofmind: Ok, I'm a little confused. Are your brakes the Wilwoods? Please explain what the difference is if they are not. Also, where can I find these brakes for sale? Thanks.

The calipers are made by Wilwood, everything else is made by me :)

The difference between the "Wilwood" kit that is sold from other vendors and my kit are the actual components in the kit. While they use a billet caliper, i use a forged caliper. I also use better rotors and better brake pads. My kit also comes with Goodridge stainless brake lines while theirs does not include lines.

If you need more info feel free to contact me.

Sherwin

DocofMind
02-10-2003, 12:13 PM
On a side note, for those if you interested in the bling factor, i am currently in the process of building another version of this kit with a larger 13 inch rotor. Minimum wheel size for this version will be a 17inch. I ll keep you guys posted on this as well :)

lewjay
02-10-2003, 07:49 PM
What upgrade options (if any) are there for people with 15in wheels?

OrganDonar 8=D
02-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Anything else you guys got?

yeah, that picture on the 1st page. is that your kit?

it looks like i may be upgrading brakes sooner than i thought.
4 pistons and almost 2" larger in diameter for under 1k sounds pretty damn good

hamlet9634
02-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by lewjay
What upgrade options (if any) are there for people with 15in wheels?

ask yourself this question: are you going to upgrade the wheels at any time in the future?

if you're gonna stick with 15's, then you can get slotted/drilled rotors and upgraded pads with braided brake lines and racing brake fluid.. this will make a definate improvement in braking performance overall.. to a point

if you're EVER going to go with bigger wheels (and with the size of our wheelwells and the fact that the stock wheel/tire combo is sooo heavy, you really should think about this if you're serious about performance).. then save the money and get the brake kit that docofmind is espousing..

the reasons:

amazing braking.. completely changes stopping distances, NO fade, no mushy pedal..
acceleration improved.. taking 18 lbs of weight off the front of the car is a big helper for speed (and if you get lighter wheels/tires, the improvement is even more dramatic.. BIG difference.. butt dyno says a lot.. lol)
handling.. handling.. handling.. again, the unsprung weight issue.. the car is completely changed by reducing unsprung weight, and 18lbs is VERY significant off the front end..

how do i know this? i have the kit.. love it.. mostly..