PDA

View Full Version : Springs, Coilovers???

Si02
01-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Could someone tell me the differences and the pros and cons of both? I'm in the learning phase plsz teach me. Thanks

02SilverSiHB
01-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Here's a little Q&A for you..it may appear long, but will help you...hopefully :)

--Whats a coilover...you mean those uppey downy thingys?

The definition of a coilover is a spring threaded on to an adjustable shock body. Thats it.

--Wait a second, I saw some "coilovers" that were just a spring looking thing, there wasnt a strut.

There are companies that make what are called coilover sleeves. Dont be confused. These are just the spring on an adjustable perch that sits on a strut ,like konis,...but the real coilovers are actually combined into all one unit.

--Oh, those coilover sleeves are a lot cheaper, why not just get those?

There are many complaints and problems with the coilover sleeves, Harsh ride, slipping threads, blown shocks, etc, but THey do serve a purpose and many people that dont care about the actual ride but want an adjustable perch for the looks will get them. I don't recommend them.

--What brand of coilover sleeves are the best?

Some popular ones are Skunk 2s, Weapon R, and Ground Control. Most others are generic and made from the same place and have different names on them. Its really up to you, but for the best ride and compatibility, the above listed is the better choice. Best performance being Skunks, best quality and ride being Ground control.

--Will I need struts with coilover sleeves?

Most definitely, these are some of the stiffest springs you are going to come by when lowering your car. If there is a time when you need struts, this is it. THis is also a good reason why many people go to a full coilover setup instead of sleeves and shocks, because the cost becomes almost equal and you can get so much more out of the full setup.

--Well, if I have that sleeve for 300 bucks and shocks for 300 bucks, why would I want TRUE coilovers?

True coilovers are the shit. Really. Since height is adjustable and sometimes the dampers are adjustable, and the spring and shock body are tuned very well to each other, these make for a very nice comfortable ride that performs much better than most strut / shock / coilover sleeve combos. However, you have to pay a price, usually a High one, for the all out compression/rebound/height adjustable coilovers. But when it comes to just height adjustable but well matched setups, like Apexi WS, the price you pay is only 100 or 200 more than what you would for coilover sleeves and shocks. Ask anyone with that kind of a setup, and they will tell you, as I do, its worth the money to go all out.

--What are some good Full coilovers?

This is a mod I will more than likely make in the future. Some popular ones are Tien, H&R, Koni, Neuspeed, Tanabe, and Apexi.

--You talk Coilovers up to be so good, so could a spring or coilover sleeve / shock combo match the performance or ride of a true coilover?

Well, theoretically, by what Im saying, yes. But there is a difference between the construction of a coilover and a spring and a shock. When you have a coilvoer that is tailored together, never to leave one peice, you gain a rigidness in design for the suspension movement. It changes. The ride is smoother because of how well matched the rebound is, but the performance is at its peak as well because of how matched the compression is. IF the shock doesnt have to work as hard to rebound, your performance increases soley with its ability. With say, sportlines and konis, your compression is set. You can match the rebound, but that may not be your peak performance. That may actually be with a stiffer rebound. Take for instance my konis and neuspeeds. My peak ride comfort is at a 180 degree turn. But if Im taking hard turns, I will set it at 360. What I lack is the fine tuning. Its matched, but not tuned. And then you have another issue to throw in. Height and damper adjustable coilovers... hehe. Now you are talking. Taking an already tuned pair and tuning it even more based on your height adjustment. Its a setup that costs money for good reason. It can be almost flawless. Almost perfect.

--So coilovers really are the best?

You are right in your thinking, coilovers are the ultimate in ride and performance, but they arent for everyone. If one is out to spend a little and get as much as possible, a spring shock combo has a LOT to offer. And i mean a LOT. If you arent going to be machine setting your stiffness to .002 with a springrate dialed to 250lbs to match with blabla blah blah... you know, not many will go this far...not racing far, not perfect suspension far. This is WHY I push that a spring shock combo will get the job done, as do most of the other suspension "experts" on the various boards around town....so you gotta think about it before you jump into it. UNderstand it. And you will figure out what is right for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--LETS REVIEW:

The suspension setups-

Cut springs-
Pros: dropped look
Cons: very bouncy and rough ride, blown shocks quickly, no height or damper adjust, uneven springrates

Just springs-
Pros: dropped look, good performance
Cons: rougher, bouncier ride, blown shocks quickly, no major height or damper adjustability

Springs and Shocks-
Pros: great ride, best performance, dropped look, no maintenence
Cons: sometimes bumpier ride in places, no major height adjustability

Just coilover sleeves-
Pros: adjustable dropped look, OK performance
Cons: thread slip, blown shocks quickly, very harsh ride, no damper adjustability

Coilover sleeves and Shocks-
Pros: adjustable dropped look, better performance, semi smooth ride
Cons: thread slip, no damper adjustability

True Coilovers-
Pros: adjustable dropped look, great performance, damper adjustability, springs threaded directly on shock
Cons: some w/o damper adjustability

Others (airbags and dubs)
Pros: instant adjustability, smooth ride
Cons: for show, performance lacks, constant maintenance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ok LoRdAccord, I know what I really want, but how much is it going to cost??

here is a good breakdown of approximate prices

Springs: $130-230
Sleeves: $250-400
Shocks: $250-500
Coilovers: $800-2000+

--Wow, thats pretty salty for those coilovers.

Yes, but add up a spring and shock or a sleeve and shocks...Unless you are cheaping out and only buying springs, then it almost gets up to the price of coilovers. However, if you can save money and you dont need coilovers, then dont get them!

--Well, why cant I cheap out and just buy springs, I can replace my shocks when I get the money.

You can, go for it, but LABOR is usually1 $100-300 depending on setup- this pricing usually is true whether you do Just springs/sleeves, or springs and shocks, or just shocks. This is another reason why you can save money doing it now, enough that you could just go for those coilovers. Puts things in perspective. Plus you ALWAYS run the risk of being out that money if your stock units blow. Better safe than sorry is the best way to play it. Instead of hurting your pocket and your car unexpectidly, do it correctly the first time.

--Wow, I didnt know that how you lowered your car was this important. Are there any other adverse effects that I should be aware of?

Yes, there are. one of the first things is what is called negative camber. As you drop your car lower and lower, your tires angle in towards your car causing wear. The larger the drop the more the camber. The effect is like this if you were looking at a car head on