PDA

View Full Version : Predicting performance numbers based on specs

ChapSchtick
01-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Just a general question for the mathematically inclined in our bunch. Is it possible to reasonably predict the performance outcome of a car based on its power, torque, and weight? I understand that the drivetrain loss numbers differ from car to car, but am curious about the generality of it. Problem is that I know this prick of a guy that sweats my ride every day I see him, "that is soooo ugly...yada yada...my car is faster...yada yada..." you know the type. Problem is he drives a Ford Taurus SES, I think 2002. The car is rated, by Ford, at 200hp and 200lbft torque, but weighs a portly 3400 lbs. For the most part I just blow the homo off (perhaps a poor choice of words, but you get the idea :D) but I am curious if it is entirely possible to predict the outcome before actually making a challenge.

thanks for your help

JDM Whore
01-27-2003, 10:32 PM
You'd spank that peice o crap, but only one way to find out is by racing his punk ass. Make sure it's in a safe area tho. I think you have way better power to weight ratio, than that porky thing.

Dunrick
01-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Those things are pretty fast - I dont think you'll beat him....BUT....all in all - he drives a 4 door taurus, need he say more? Say something like....I'll race you if you keep the baby seat in the back....haha

i crack myself up

SUCKIT! peace :confused:

iR-VTEC2
01-28-2003, 02:58 AM
if you just do the math and do not take into considerations any variables such as grade, wind speed and direction, frontal mass of the car, driver error, drive train and driveline loss, insufficient cupholdres etc... you can ascertain these results...

Taurus

200hp
3580 (including 180lb driver)
15.234 @ 89.45mph

Si

160hp
2954 (including 180lb driver)
15.395 @ 88.53mph

Please keep in mind that these are mathematical computations only.

The two cars have very different power bands, very different gearing. The taurus is probably an automatic which will result in less performance. There's also the frontal mass to take into consideration....not many do but it is a big factor. Street light to street light shouldnt matter too much but once you pass about 70mph it becomes an issue.

IMO, you'll take him unless you dont know how to drive :D

blueiedgod
01-28-2003, 11:20 AM
take him to a whindy road, he will be riding his brakes as his car can not handle the turns. as i am still learning the limits of the Si, i have not been able to loose the rear end, she powers nicely through the turns. so far she hadnles better than my jetta used to. can't wait until she is broken in, to see what i can do at red line.
Dave