PDA

View Full Version : SCC Magazine

atl-si
01-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Well, I'm going to have to admit it that I own a subscription to that piece of crap magazine(not for long!). First off, in the lastest subscription, SCC admitted that they didn't like the Beetle Turbo until they got smoke by one. So they went out and tested one and managed to run a 16.1 in the 1/4 mile. Geezer! These guys are idiots cause they can't drive or something. I mean come on the Beetle Turbo is like way faster than that. WELL, since they like the car so much, they're excuse was that it was a hot day. Yet these @$$holes didn't give a crap that our EP, when it ran a 16.2 in a very hot day as well. Anyways, SCC are a bunch of stupid fackers. I mean when you compare 8 cars, you should dyno and run the 1/4 mile all at the same time period to be fair. These guys know nothing. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

silver ep
01-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Anyways, SCC are a bunch of stupid fackers
Thats the bottom line! :D

IceD out N CALI
01-28-2003, 08:07 AM
its a shame, but thats how it goes

HokieSi
01-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Thank you, SCC and all the other haters that got me such a great deal on my car!!!! How could I ever repay you? Wait, I have an idea. I'll use all the money that I saved (~$4,000 on my purchase) and mod my car.

Turbo neon?? haha, good thing it has a 70,000 mi warranty it will need it.
Ford SVT Focus?? when's the next recall?
Nissan Sentra SER?? Weak valve train, my buddy thought he got a good deal at 19,000 out the door until i told him i got my si 4k less. Resale value on a nissan? what?

Mini's kick ass (its practically a bmw), too high of a price for S
Mazda, Hyundai, VW hasn't earned my respect yet.

One last rant. How bout we compare real world things like.... cost of ownership, practically, quality and safety along with performance :p

Vivid_Motion
01-28-2003, 05:04 PM
When I read the latest issue <picked up for ads not the stellar import automotive edification we gain naturally by reading this toilet paper.> I could not help but think that this was a bunch if tech school drop outs writing the material. I am NO Mr Goodwrench ... well at least not with cars... but these guys/girls come off like a high school essay gone sadly awry.

I was on www.focaljet.com before here when I was thinking SVT and the same feelings are expressed over there.

I just think it is a shame that a magazine with such potential should come across so seemingly incredulous.

Ahh well ... I still buy it for the ads, shiots, and giggles.

Craig

HokieSi
01-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Hahaha http://www.focaljet.com, the ford focus website has their own "Problems/Service/Recalls" bb link. Ford Tough!!! Thats gotta be their service slogan.

"Oh you bought a Ford, tough!!!"

tsa1
01-28-2003, 10:02 PM
how bout everyone that can, write to scc and let them know what we think of ther magazine(if you wanna call it that). they'll have to print one letter, i mean they print all those letters from rednecks saysing hondas are slow and all, if they put up with that they'll put up with us.

icegrill
01-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Good post SCC is a joke, Are they a division of Daimler-Chrysler? Dodge Neon sport compact car of the year???? I'd love to see that thing in five years. I've been reading SCC for about 6 years, really good 6 years ago. I can't believe how boring, hippocrital and expensive the magazine has gotten. Heres the example that kills me: B16 B18 is the benchmark of motors (just the best thing in the world) then when the k20 comes out they say the b series sounds like shit and is so unrefined. Yet the new si is a bad car for the PRICE. Add on a stiffer suspension, larger wheels, LSD and rsx type s motor and most of us wouldn't be affording an Si. my .02

Jpax
01-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Weird how my Eletric mini van car dose so good for what there road testers say it dose not do.:rolleyes: Wonder if they come to this site and look around? :eek:

iR-VTEC2
01-29-2003, 02:04 AM
I dont give a crap what any magazine says. It's how i feel. I should start a magazine called IR-VTEC2 Magazine and put my own review on my car against my car and give it good props. :D

"In this issue..MY CAR"
"next months issue, MY CAR"

Articles
"my car kicks ass"
"the amazing cupholders of doom"
"whats that flappy thing on the roof...ahh yes...moonroof..cool"
"shakespear: To lower or not to lower, that is the question"
"performance nuggets"
"The 420 factor"
"street racing it is bad but damnit..im strong enough good enough and dog gawnit, people like me!"
"credits"
"EPTunes"

Hmmmm..im gonna go X-Racing be back later...I gotta find mr fubu.

Jpax
01-29-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2

"shakespear: To lower or not to lower, that is the question"
"performance nuggets"
"The 420 factor"
"street racing it is bad but damnit..im strong enough good enough and dog gawnit, people like me!"
"credits"
"EPTunes"

HAHAHHAHHAHAA :D

Dunrick
01-29-2003, 08:56 AM
This forum bums me out - so I say "die slow"

SiR Medic
01-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Hahaha http://www.focaljet.com, the ford focus website has their own "Problems/Service/Recalls" bb link.

LOL!

I just checked this out... It's HILARIOUS!
There are people there with "never gonna buy another Ford" as their sig-line!

How about we do the same thing here? A recall forum for the EP? Oh yeah... BECAUSE IT WOULD BE EMPTY!

Regarding SCC... this has been discussed before here. SCC seems to thumb their noses at the EP. Not only do they hardly ever cover it, but when they do, they are usually quite negative. They don't even like the shifter!

Maybe we should organize a letter writing campaign as tsa1 suggests...:o

swampdonkey
01-29-2003, 11:53 AM
I hate to break it to you guys but SCC is easily the best import/compact mag out there. yeah sometimes they test cars at Willow where its hot as hell. They said the same thing about the Si when they took it to Willow with the RSX. in fact they said it handled the heat WAY better than the RSX and it ran to 60 faster than the type-S. It doesn't surprise me that the turbo beetle was affected by the heat.......its turbocharged and who here is going to argue that the Civic PERFORMS better than the Turbo neon......? Nobody becasue it doesn't. If Sport Compact Car were road and track they would apply a correction factor to their times to say what the cars "might" run on a perfect day, but they're not Road and Track. I like the Mini S and its the same STICKER price as the Si. Guess what? Its selling better, for a higher price? Shocker?!? NO, its becasue it performs better. The neon??! Well let's see its faster than any other SC, handels, shifts well, sounds great...hmmmmm yeah bad decision making it SCC of the year. I mean come on its only the bets all around performer....what kind of sense does it make to make it SCC of the year. Not to mention it came from a company with a rep for haveing very little balls. AND yes the B series does sound like crap with after market exhaust, BUT it is the most internally tough honda engine. There is no contradiction there. I LOVE my Si and SCC may have been harsh saying that they have moved on to target a different market, but it is still the best car mag anywhere.

The technical articles by SCC are better than any other. They'll give you equations to figure everything out unlike stupid mags like superstreet and Import tuner. Their project cars are awsome. Scc isn't gonna add an intake and exhuast and then slap a stick on the page that says BARELY STREET LEGAL! I have read every other car mag out there and next to SCC a lot of them are crap. If you want adjusted acceleration times than go read another magazine, but don't get pissed off because SCCs acceleration times bruised your ego. I'm sure they'll probably have a project EP at some point that wil be great and when they do you'll all be their best friend. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anybody, but somebody had to stick up for SCC.

silver ep
01-29-2003, 12:05 PM
http://www.probush.com/protest2.jpg
Alright lets hose it down! :D

swampdonkey
01-29-2003, 12:20 PM
lol.......sorry

JoshSI
01-29-2003, 12:22 PM
SCC = gay

end of duscussion.

swampdonkey
01-29-2003, 12:24 PM
wow that was witty..........or at least it was pretty witty.........................all right it was retarded.

Gibhunter
01-29-2003, 02:35 PM
I really couldn't care less that they don't like the EP, but to give the Neon car of the year honors when it's not even available at the dealerships is pretty fucked up. Don't you think? Yeah they tested what Dodge reps claimed as the final production version, but it's not like this type of BS has not happened before. That's why reputable mags like MT or CD get their cars from dealers to eliminate the chance that they MIGHT get a tweaked car which will get better reviews.

swampdonkey
01-29-2003, 02:48 PM
CD does not get their car from dealers.....and don't know about MT but I doubt they do either. Consumer reports is the only mag I know of that does this. CD used a preproduction model in their budget bandito comparo a while back......when the Spec-v first came out. They said the cruise didn't work and mentioned other flaws that they said would "likely be fixed on a production car". They also did a road test on a neon....which is what they do when a car hits the market. It was not a new car preview which they do on preprod. cars. They also reported numbers with out this by them *......which means estimated. They reported hard numbers just like SCC. I see no distinction.

k20ASi
01-29-2003, 02:52 PM
the thing that makes me the most mad acout the test 19,995 of somthing like that for the sticker and the mini s. i would like to see somone pick up one of those cars for less the 20,000 grand.For the price you cant beat a si. For all the money i saved buying an si slap a tubo on it and it will still be under 20,000 and it will kill that stupid neon in every way.

chakra71
01-29-2003, 07:43 PM
OK, I'm going to step up here and say that SCC is a good magazine. This is America and we have that freedom of press thing going on. In my opinion scc has very good tech articles and great how-to (Build your own Type R for one) and shows the best cars. I don't want to see tons of junk cars in a readers rides section. I want to see cars that are modified, how they did the mods and WHY the did the mods. Other rags (for that is all they are to me) such as Super Street or (heaven forbid) Import Racer! show nothing but trash and some hot chicks. I have Playboy if i want to see pussy.

Then again, this last week I have found several other magazines thru some friends that surpass all that i have seen before. Makes and Models being one, and the Honda Club quarterly magazine. (it's all honda, how can it be bad?) Don't forget that Honda Tuning is also a part of the SCC family of magazines.

I get the feeling that perhaps SCC is challenging Honda to put out a Type R and will not be satisfied until they get it. Right on i say. SCC is pushing this market and this trend to new levels by giving dodge props for making a SPORT car that we can afford. Competition increases quality and decreases price. Keep that in mind.

gpt
01-29-2003, 10:13 PM
It would be better if SCC compared real life prices. They do not take the manufacturers word as to how the car performs why should they take the manufacturers word as to how much it cost.

To present their readers with the information they need to make informed decisions, they should try to find out what price you can actually get the car for and include this as part of a comparison. There is no doubt though that Honda did put our cars at too high a price point to begin with, and at that price the competition is stiff.

That being said, I would not want any other car at that price anyway......

swampdonkey
01-29-2003, 10:26 PM
it will be tough to bolt on the SI to 223WHP with just a turbo kit and I'd say its impossible to do for less than $20000. You would dffinately break that mark. By the time you invested in all the bolt ons and the kit you'd be there easy. Not to mention you might haev to run 15 pounds to get it there in which case you'd have to beef the internals.

Right the Mini sells for the sticker and maybe a slight markup but thats because they can sell it for that.....if they were haveing trouble selling them they would be dropping the price too.

stephen
04-28-2003, 10:40 AM
grassroots is the best sport compact enthusiast magazine, bar none.

Mugen_EP
04-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by swampdonkey
it will be tough to bolt on the SI to 223WHP with just a turbo kit and I'd say its impossible to do for less than $20000. You would dffinately break that mark. By the time you invested in all the bolt ons and the kit you'd be there easy. Not to mention you might haev to run 15 pounds to get it there in which case you'd have to beef the internals.

Right the Mini sells for the sticker and maybe a slight markup but thats because they can sell it for that.....if they were haveing trouble selling them they would be dropping the price too.

UMMMM...RevHard turbo kit is 243.6 HP & 198.8 Tq @ 7 psi for about 3 grand.:confused:

Heres the link buddy;)

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12098&highlight=rev+hard

BarracksSi
04-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Most of them suck, anyway. Nearly every article about somebody's car reads like a list of parts, lumped together with standard praises. Utterly ridiculous.

Not many hard comparisons happen, and when they do, even their results can be skewed. One of the turbo-oriented mags had a comparison of a dozen or so cat-back exhausts on a turbo Supra, listing peak gains of 20-30 hp with most. Looking at the dyno graphs, those gains happened where a stock "dip" coincided with a modded "hump" -- otherwise, the curves weren't much different. No scientific journal would regard these kinds of results as truly representative of reality.

Most of the mags I've seen are, honestly, quite amateurish, and it's embarrassing. I'll keep a lookout for the ones chakra71 mentioned -- after all, there is a lot of room for improvement.

f1fever
04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
I've been reading SCC for about 6 years, really good 6 years ago.

Yeah I know, it was a really good magazine long time ago... But I stop buying them when they decided to show me moded turbo shit boxes (like a 89 santra or something like that...) I stop buying it. I mean, I'm not gonna pay $6.95CDN for ads (I found the ads are pretty good) and shit boxes.

SCC sucks!

EKON
04-28-2003, 04:20 PM
I don't care what SCC or anyone else says about the EP, because I love my car and I have compared it to the MaxdaSpeed Protege(shifts to long, farting blow off valve and crappy seats), SE-R Spec V(drives good, questionable reliablity, 6200RPM Redline, sunroof-cd ext. extra), WRX(hales balls, drives great, crappy interior, shifter shakes like crazy at idle). I haven't been able to drive the SVT(don't like the interior styling), SRT-4(questionable reliablity), Mini S(too small for me). I bought my car because I liked it not because its a 1/4mile killer. I don't even like to race the 1/4mile. Well there are my .02. thanks for listening.

PS the Si interior and great lowerend torque are my favorite parts until I get some exterior mods.:D

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by atl-si
Well, I'm going to have to admit it that I own a subscription to that piece of crap magazine(not for long!). First off, in the lastest subscription, SCC admitted that they didn't like the Beetle Turbo until they got smoke by one. So they went out and tested one and managed to run a 16.1 in the 1/4 mile. Geezer! These guys are idiots cause they can't drive or something. I mean come on the Beetle Turbo is like way faster than that. WELL, since they like the car so much, they're excuse was that it was a hot day. Yet these @$$holes didn't give a crap that our EP, when it ran a 16.2 in a very hot day as well. Anyways, SCC are a bunch of stupid fackers. I mean when you compare 8 cars, you should dyno and run the 1/4 mile all at the same time period to be fair. These guys know nothing. Sheesh!:rolleyes:
they have another issue that says the know their times have a way of pissing people off. They know the times suck, but with the elevation and heat, they can't help it. It's just like when everyone was soooooooo upset over the whole bashing of the EP when they had the SRT, mazda turbo protege, etc. I read the issue and they were right. This car need more than springs to handle. I didn't really see any bashing from them. I think they are decent people imo.
Oh yeay, it's the March issue with the red Supra on it.

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by chakra71
OK, I'm going to step up here and say that SCC is a good magazine. This is America and we have that freedom of press thing going on. In my opinion scc has very good tech articles and great how-to (Build your own Type R for one) and shows the best cars. I don't want to see tons of junk cars in a readers rides section. I want to see cars that are modified, how they did the mods and WHY the did the mods. Other rags (for that is all they are to me) such as Super Street or (heaven forbid) Import Racer! show nothing but trash and some hot chicks. I have Playboy if i want to see pussy.

Then again, this last week I have found several other magazines thru some friends that surpass all that i have seen before. Makes and Models being one, and the Honda Club quarterly magazine. (it's all honda, how can it be bad?) Don't forget that Honda Tuning is also a part of the SCC family of magazines.

I get the feeling that perhaps SCC is challenging Honda to put out a Type R and will not be satisfied until they get it. Right on i say. SCC is pushing this market and this trend to new levels by giving dodge props for making a SPORT car that we can afford. Competition increases quality and decreases price. Keep that in mind.
I agree with you on everything you said. It does seem like they are trying to give honda the hint. I also noticed how they went off on a integra type r, saying it was slow...it ran like a 13, with turbo and boost :) that is sad! People on this site need to calm down a bit when it comes to SCC. They've been driving many more care for a longer time than most and would put the smack down on some of here with their knowledge. I learn a lot from them, especially there issue about the EVO and the WRX's handling, on how the ecu is smarter in the EBO, etc. They have some interesting articles in there.

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 05:02 PM
I hate to break it to you guys but SCC is easily the best import/compact mag out there. yeah sometimes they test cars at Willow where its hot as hell. They said the same thing about the Si when they took it to Willow with the RSX. in fact they said it handled the heat WAY better than the RSX and it ran to 60 faster than the type-S. It doesn't surprise me that the turbo beetle was affected by the heat.......its turbocharged and who here is going to argue that the Civic PERFORMS better than the Turbo neon......? Nobody becasue it doesn't. If Sport Compact Car were road and track they would apply a correction factor to their times to say what the cars "might" run on a perfect day, but they're not Road and Track. I like the Mini S and its the same STICKER price as the Si. Guess what? Its selling better, for a higher price? Shocker?!? NO, its becasue it performs better. The neon??! Well let's see its faster than any other SC, handels, shifts well, sounds great...hmmmmm yeah bad decision making it SCC of the year. I mean come on its only the bets all around performer....what kind of sense does it make to make it SCC of the year. Not to mention it came from a company with a rep for haveing very little balls. AND yes the B series does sound like crap with after market exhaust, BUT it is the most internally tough honda engine. There is no contradiction there. I LOVE my Si and SCC may have been harsh saying that they have moved on to target a different market, but it is still the best car mag anywhere.

The technical articles by SCC are better than any other. They'll give you equations to figure everything out unlike stupid mags like superstreet and Import tuner. Their project cars are awsome. Scc isn't gonna add an intake and exhuast and then slap a stick on the page that says BARELY STREET LEGAL! I have read every other car mag out there and next to SCC a lot of them are crap. If you want adjusted acceleration times than go read another magazine, but don't get pissed off because SCCs acceleration times bruised your ego. I'm sure they'll probably have a project EP at some point that wil be great and when they do you'll all be their best friend. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anybody, but somebody had to stick up for SCC.
well said! :D

02SilverSiHB
04-28-2003, 05:07 PM

okay, now that I don't agree with, read that post about the turbo that Mugen_EP gave ya ;)