PDA

View Full Version : Oil change?

whtep19
01-29-2003, 02:12 PM
I hope i didn't make a mistake by doing this but a couple weeks back I changed my oil for the first time on the car. The odometer
had 4500 miles on it and my dipstick read below the first dot. I went to the local Pep Boys and bought 5 quarts of Pro-line 5w-30.
I changed the oil but was unable to get the oil filter off because the factory put it on so damn tight. Well, Iv'e been driving around
for about three weeks now and the odometer reads almost 5000.
I plan on taking it somewhere to have it changed. I hope this didn't do damage to my car????

myeverlovinsir
01-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Doubt there is any damage, but you should change your filter asap. They had a hard time at the honda dealer getting mine off the first time as well. The robot in the UK plant is hella torqued!;)

whtep19
01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Should I just change the oil again because they will probably charge me to change the filter

myeverlovinsir
01-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Seeing as you just changed the oil but not the filter, I would opt for the whole deal again at the honda dealer. It's not that expensive and they should put in any grade oil you want.;)

AkronSi
01-29-2003, 02:30 PM
You should be able to just change the filter if you want. Get yourself a nice screwdriver and pound it on through. You'll have to add oil to get the level back up, but not as much as a full change (probably around another quart).

I think that you would be ok, but what do I know. I'm not a mechanic by any means.

FascistDictator
01-29-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm scared of that too...I have not done my first oil change yet. I would only let Honda do it. Don't scrape the area where your filter is stuck just let the pros take it out (sheet the oil change is only $23 anyway!). I am at 3500 miles. Oil is at first dot exactly and I am worried if the engine is hurt by driving with such little oil, yet all the serive techs say don't add any and wait it out til 4000.

P.S. don't use anything but what the manual recommended, 5w-20 and preferably not synthetic (real oil is already of such high quality why do you need to use an imiation of it?).

02blksi
01-29-2003, 06:01 PM
your fine BUT for petes sake PLEASE dont skimp on oil either buy oem honda or a reputable oil brand..

Pro line is the CHEAPEST pepboys oil that you can buy :(

IMO - take it to honda get your first oil change done by them, Isnt your first oil change free, i thougt all dealers will do that for you. --Joe :)

02blksi
01-29-2003, 06:04 PM
"P.S. don't use anything but what the manual recommended, 5w-20 and preferably not synthetic (real oil is already of such high quality why do you need to use an imiation of it?)."

What are you talking about, dont get me started on why synthetic is a MUCH better oil than regular dyno oil ...

dyno oil -- wax and contaminents
synthetic - no waxes and man made to VERY high tolerances, resists viscosity break down MUCH better, easier cold weather starts, etc... Why do you think Porsche and Ferrari ONLY service with FULLY synthetic oils. ? -- Joe :)

soniccar
01-29-2003, 06:26 PM
Just about all motor oils on the market today that meet the API SJ classification is good for your car. The key is the frequency with which you change it. The oil filter should be changed with every oil change, but most importantly the first oil change because the engine is breaking in and creating bits of metallic particles which get trapped in your filter. Honda's oil change intervals have always been controversial, but since Honda service schedules in the past have been typically expensive, I believe it is a way to reduce the overall cost. It is a good idea to not use synthetic oil until the car breaks-in (used to be 5000 miles, but 3000 miles is more likely) so that you allow the oil seals to be impregenated with the dino oil... synthetic oils make the seals brittle over time, and don't burn off very quickly. It is not to say that synthetic oils are inferior, on the contrary they do an excellent job of protecting the engine as they have much more predictable flow characteristics from weather changes and between batches, and they are slightly ionic and tend to "stick" to the sides of the engine after shut down. All that said and done, the Hondas I have but 200k miles on lived we a diet of 5w30 oil, non-synthetic, but it was changed every 3000 miles.

DON'T LET YOUR CAR GO AROUND A QUART LOW! It is better to be a little low than a little high (due to crankshaft windage) but oil starvation will kill your engine. Especially if the oil pickup is not sitting around in the oil overnight and the impurities crust up on the pickup screen. Jeez, those mechanics are full of crap. You should never run your car around like that.

If you are having trouble getting your filter off, I suggest using an inexpensive ($1.50-$2.00) end cap type wrench with a large handled ratchet. If it tends to slip, putting a napkin or even sand in the wrench will help it grip. Also, the engine should be very hot because, although the aluminum will expand quicker in the thread than the steel filter, the aluminum will cool off much more rapidly and "shrink" away from the steel filter. The first time is always the hardest. My recommendation is to let the dealer do it the first time, especially since they always give you coupons or something, and then you can do it from then on. Never tighten the filter with a wrench, handtight, as hard as you can with one hand, is more than adequate. I would stay away from alot of non-name brand oils because alot of them are made from either recycled stock or oil containing more impurities that could clog up your oil passages. Consumer reports has rated Castrol as the best non-synthetic oil and I stock up on it when it reaches about $1.00 - $1.20 / quart on sale. However, after riding with zero oil pressure in a car for 30 miles that suffered no damage (even 45k miles later) on Castrol Syntec, I gurantee you that my EP will have 5w30 synthetic after it reaches 3000 miles, and I buy my filter from Manchester Honda for $3.95 each in a case of 10. They are made by Fram, but the filter media is by Filtech, a Canadian company who pioneered the first jet aircraft fuel filter. Oh yeah, don't think your Honda dealer uses only Honda's oil. They use whoever they have a deal with and it varies from dealership to dealership.

IceD out N CALI
01-29-2003, 06:31 PM
this might not sound like the most cost effective thing to do, but if i were you i'd just get the oil changed(with filter) at the dealer and put it behind you. they'll prob wash ur car for u too, mine does:)

rick77f
01-29-2003, 10:31 PM
I don't trust the dealer to do the oil. I changed mine at 500mi, 3000mi, and am pretty close to 6000. After the first change, the oil consumption disappeared. Even though I don't trust the dealer I buy the filters and crush washers from them. Oh, and I sure as hell won't let anyone except myself wash my car either.
The car is on a steady diet of Castrol 5W-20 and runs like a champ.

redronin22
01-29-2003, 11:34 PM
After i got my hondata i noticed detonation at anything above 7.k RPM. Now that i switched to MOBIL 1 synthetic the pinging went away. It was suggested to m by Hondata since the syntheics supposedly have better lubrication factors. I do take it up pretty high so i better have as much defense as possible. that bad part is the oil changes set me back 40 bucks each.

jasonclay2004
01-30-2003, 02:32 AM
hey paxie

Jpax
01-30-2003, 08:45 AM
why post this in here Dumbass, If your trying to call me out why not do it infront of everyone. Fuc*king pussy.

Jpax
01-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by jasonclay2004
hey paxie

mrfixit687
01-30-2003, 11:41 PM
lol